Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #21
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
DDW,

Can you comment more on your dehumidifier? Kind and model no? And how hot does it get?

Sounds like a good idea.
I am quite happy with the result. This boat was built for the east coast and had two AC units, a 11K and a 16K. In the PNW, there isn't a lot of need for the AC, so I removed the 16K unit and put this in its place. If you had the room you could retain all the AC and add this to it - that is what they are designed for in houses. I used the existing power feed for the AC (disconnected from the other controls) and the existing condensate drain.

It does raise the temperature slightly, though if a humid day it will actually feel cooler. It runs about 400 watts, all of that heat is dumped in the boat. However the duty cycle is low unless something is dumping moisture in - such as an open door, cooking, showering, wet clothes brought in from the rain - so the average draw and average heat contribution are somewhere around 100 watts typically.

If the humidity is down around 50% anyway on a warm day, I don't run it, but open the windows. On cooler or wetter days, any heat is generally welcome and the boat is much more comfortable, dry.

There are several brands - just Google "ducted dehumidifier". I picked this one because I liked the specs and the build quality. They are around $1100, a lot more than a portable, but a lot more convenient to use once installed.

First picture shows dehumidifier and AC unit it replaced, second one shows (mostly) installed. They are about the same size, the DH is boxier. I installed a remote dehumidistat, and needed an 8" -> 7" duct adapter at most boat AC seems to use 7". Other than that very straight forward to install.

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirwan View Post
...But nothing's free, and ultimately there is power coming from somewhere and ending in the cabin. Specs on some of those listed above say 200W, but it might be less when averaged over time. As much heat as a couple of lightbulbs.
I have a dehumidifier in the basement of my house. It gets the job done, but the heat gain in the room is quite noticeable. In the winter the extra heat is fine. In the summer not so much. Adds to the heat load that the central AC has to deal with.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I used an Eva Dry Peltier effect dehumidifier on Possum. It solved a big mildew problem. I also put a hygrometer in the cabin so I could monitor it. The Eva Dry kept the RH below 65%.

I drilled a hole in the tank and stuck a piece of aquarium air hose in it. No fitting needed. Let it drain in the sink.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:32 AM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Exactly the same setup and results on my boat for the last 7 years. I do use a Caframo Stor-Dry in the head as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I used an Eva Dry Peltier effect dehumidifier on Possum. It solved a big mildew problem. I also put a hygrometer in the cabin so I could monitor it. The Eva Dry kept the RH below 65%.

I drilled a hole in the tank and stuck a piece of aquarium air hose in it. No fitting needed. Let it drain in the sink.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #25

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1995 Rosborough RF35 Atlantic Trawler
Experience with dehumidifiers

We’re on the Texas Gulf Coast so high humidity is just a fact of life. You have to use something to dehumidify or the interior of the boat will have mildew and a bad musty smell. When we first got the boat, we ran the AC in “dehumidify mode”. That worked well, but it put lots of hours on the AC unit.
When I looked at the cost of an AC unit compared to a portable dehumidifier, it makes more sense to use a portable dehumidifier. We leave a dehumidifier running 100% of the time when we aren’t on the boat with the setting at 35% Relative Humidity. It does make it hot inside the boat, but it eliminates mildew and the musty smell.

The dehumidifier that we have had the best luck with is the Frigidaire FFAD7033R1, 70 Pint/day unit. We’ve tried GE, LG, and others, but the Frigidaire works better (knocks out more water) and they seem to last longer. You can get the same one we have for $260 at Amazon with Amazon Prime delivery. I’ve put a link to it below.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00UWP...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, if I were buying a dehumidifier today, I would spend $16 more and get the newer version of the Frigidaire that has a built in condensate pump. With the one I have now, I have to sit the unit up on the galley counter so it can drain through a water hose into the galley sink. It’s a fairly big unit to have sitting on the counter and it’s heavy to lift up and down. With the unit with the built in condensate pump, you can locate it most anywhere and you just run ¼ “ polyethylene tubing to wherever you want the condensate to go. You can run the condensate drain to the galley sink, the head sink, a cockpit drain, or any other drain. I wouldn’t suggest running it to the bilge because the dehumidifier knocks out almost 9 gallons of water per day. If the bilge pump stopped working, you could conceivably flood the boat with condensate over time. Having the built-in condensate pump just makes the dehumidifier easier to deal with. I’ve put a link to that unit below.

https://amazon.com/dp/B06Y1M6XPT?psc...02_03_t_ttl_lh

You can get this unit in 2 days from Amazon.
Rosborough 35 is offline   Reply With Quote