Definition of trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hell, one Nordic Tug 26 was set up as a seiner and another as a troller.

I've seen a commercial Ranger Tug with outriggers and gurnies in Tofino. So it is technically a troller.

Of course in BC, they would be called "fishboats" anyways. Which, although simple, is descriptive.

I call my boat, a boat.

But Art thinks-he’s onto something
Looks like avoidance though.

How many times I gotta tell ya!!! We nearly ALL on TF have a....

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Geeezzzzz - :speed boat: :dance:

But I had a tremendous amount of pleasure commercial trawling? Great, now I'm really confused.

OP here.
You are all getting more out of this question than I am. Good for you.

One thing I have definitely learned is the need to ask specific questions and separate subjective from objective questions. (Seems answers to objective questions tell us about boats and answers to subjective questions tell us about boaters?)

I was hoping for an objective way to evaluate the relative fuel efficiency of different hull shapes for a given carrying capacity. I realize now that is not at all what I asked! When I figure out how to word my question I might be brave enough to start a new thread???

Carry on. It is interesting reading

But Art thinks-he’s onto something
Looks like avoidance though.

Avoidance! LOL... is a many leagues deep term/subject on TF! :thumb: :rofl:

Wishful-Thinking ["avoidance" inside and of mental-procedures for affixing boat-type handles] that I see on TF is people [that means most boat owners on TF] not admitting [avoiding the fact] that they have a "Pleasure Boat"... i.e. boats used for "Pleasure"; pure and simple. Be it dock siting pleasure, live aboard pleasure, day cruising pleasure, reel and rod fishing pleasure, limited crab or lobster hauling pleasure, sea travel pleasure, water skiing pleasure... and on and on!

To call your "Pleasure" boat a "Trawler", a "Tug" boat and/or other nomenclature representing real working boats is avoidance at its least, fanciful/romantic desire at its best.

IMHO... if asked what type of boat a TF member has... the answer should include the word "Pleasure" - in the answer. Such as "Pleasure Trawler Boat", Pleasure Tug Boat, Pleasure Sedan Boat, Pleasure Tri Cabin Boat, Pleasure Fishing Boat...

Or, God Forbid - when asked - Say Like I Do - Pleasure Boat! That usually invites more questions so you can then expound anyway you like regarding how you see or feel about Your Boat!!

Don't hate me - I speak TRUTH! - :speed boat::speed boat: :dance::dance: :thumb:

Last edited:
When someone asks what type of boat Sandpiper is, I tell that it's a one bedroom waterfront condo.

Avoidance! LOL... is a many leagues deep term/subject on TF! :thumb: :rofl:

Wishful-Thinking ["avoidance" inside and of mental-procedures for affixing boat-type handles] that I see on TF is people [that means most boat owners on TF] not admitting [avoiding the fact] that they have a "Pleasure Boat"... i.e. boats used for "Pleasure"; pure and simple. Be it dock siting pleasure, live aboard pleasure, day cruising pleasure, reel and rod fishing pleasure, limited crab or lobster hauling pleasure, sea travel pleasure, water skiing pleasure... and on and on!

To call your "Pleasure" boat a "Trawler", a "Tug" boat and/or other nomenclature representing real working boats is avoidance at its least, fanciful/romantic desire at its best.

IMHO... if asked what type of boat a TF member has... the answer should include the word "Pleasure" - in the answer. Such as "Pleasure Trawler Boat", Pleasure Tug Boat, Pleasure Sedan Boat, Pleasure Tri Cabin Boat, Pleasure Fishing Boat...

Or, God Forbid - when asked - Say Like I Do - Pleasure Boat! That usually invites more questions so you can then expound anyway you like regarding how you see or feel about Your Boat!!

Don't hate me - I speak TRUTH! - :speed boat::speed boat: :dance::dance: :thumb:

Yes,
And first a pleasure boat, then a cruiser, then a heavy cruiser. Then if you want your audience to really know what you’re talking about yo use the vernacular word trawler. And if you need to further define “trawler” you click on TF and join the argument/discussion.

Yes,
And first a pleasure boat, then a cruiser, then a heavy cruiser. Then if you want your audience to really know what you’re talking about yo use the vernacular word trawler. And if you need to further define “trawler” you click on TF and join the argument/discussion.

:thumb: :D Right On! Eric...

How many times I gotta tell ya!!! We nearly ALL on TF have a....

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Geeezzzzz - :speed boat: :dance:

You may have a pleasure boat, I do not. The term pleasure boat conjures up visions of a Sunday picnic trip with the family on glassy calm water. Heading 100 miles offshore with your buddies in a 50' sportfish to catch tuna, may be pleasurable, but that ain't a pleasure boat either. While it's possible that my boat might be more aptly identified as a coastal cruiser, people tend to identify it as a trawler, and it's definitely not a fair weather pleasure boat. :p...:rolleyes:

Ted

You may have a pleasure boat, I do not. The term pleasure boat conjures up visions of a Sunday picnic trip with the family on glassy calm water. Heading 100 miles offshore with your buddies in a 50' sportfish to catch tuna, may be pleasurable, but that ain't a pleasure boat either. While it's possible that my boat might be more aptly identified as a coastal cruiser, people tend to identify it as a trawler, and it's definitely not a fair weather pleasure boat. :p...:rolleyes:

Ted

Down here in my neck of the woods we tangle with commercial traffic regularly. “Pleasure boat” over the radio is the most descriptive answer to the question. If I had a recreational “trawler” and called it a “trawler” on the radio, the “concerned” traffic would be looking for a shrimp boat. When you say “pleasure boat” in an otherwise sea of commercial boats, there is usually no confusion.

I agree 100%

This discussion is entertaining. As most general question like twin vs single, definition of full displacement, radar or autopilot etc.

I am also curious as to why people need black or white answers to their general questions. Most things on boats are in the gray areas and tough to define.

Everybody I know says "I'm going to my boat" no matter the boat size.

If anyone says "I'm going to my yacht" and the yacht is less than 75 feet or so, I would assume that the person has a really small pee pee.

Big Hat, no Cows! ... Got Yacht!

Last edited:

Ted

Well. Ted - It's always a pleasure to see tour posts and boat-photo avatar!

Have a great 2020! Happy New Year!!!

Down here in my neck of the woods we tangle with commercial traffic regularly. “Pleasure boat” over the radio is the most descriptive answer to the question. If I had a recreational “trawler” and called it a “trawler” on the radio, the “concerned” traffic would be looking for a shrimp boat. When you say “pleasure boat” in an otherwise sea of commercial boats, there is usually no confusion.

This. It's all about context and knowing which term will give people the best idea of what you're talking about in a given situation. If we're talking express cruiser vs sailboat vs a lot of the boats on here, calling one a "trawler" will usually give a decent idea of what the boat is. But as Baker said, if talking to commercial traffic, it's likely to be confusing.

When describing my boat over the radio, the visual descriptor I'm likely to give is "38 foot cabin cruiser, brown canvas". The brown canvas part seems to help people pick the boat out quickly, as it's fairly rare that I see other boats with a brown bimini.

This. It's all about context and knowing which term will give people the best idea of what you're talking about in a given situation. If we're talking express cruiser vs sailboat vs a lot of the boats on here, calling one a "trawler" will usually give a decent idea of what the boat is. But as Baker said, if talking to commercial traffic, it's likely to be confusing.

When describing my boat over the radio, the visual descriptor I'm likely to give is "38 foot cabin cruiser, brown canvas". The brown canvas part seems to help people pick the boat out quickly, as it's fairly rare that I see other boats with a brown bimini.

rs

Describing your pleasure craft as "38 foot cabin cruiser, brown canvas" seems very well explanatory to me. It immediately brings to my mind to look for a fully described sort of a "Pleasure Boat".

However, when a pleasure boater describes his pleasure craft as a "Trawler"... first that comes to mind is to look for a working fishing "Trawler". Ya know, with tall masts, winches, nets and all that fishing type of equipment.

OC Diver (Ted) wrote;
“You may have a pleasure boat, I do not”

What kind of work does your boat do Ted?

Art wrote;
“ However, when a pleasure boater describes his pleasure craft as a "Trawler"... first that comes to mind is to look for a working fishing "Trawler". Ya know, with tall masts, winches, nets and all that fishing type of equipment.”

Art w all due respect that probably is’nt true. I’ll bet most all people w even just a small connection to marine thinks of a recreational trawler before a commercial trawler. An exception would be in a harbor w numerous commercial trawlers. Other people through conversation probably think of a trawler as a pleasure craft. This opinion is hazy though.

Last edited:
OC Diver (Ted) wrote;
“You may have a pleasure boat, I do not”

What kind of work does your boat do Ted?
Exploration. It takes me places I want to explore / visit. It's my mother ship when I travel.

I have a 16' utility boat on a trailer in my garage. That would probably be my pleasure boat. Pack a lunch and wander the Caloosahatchee with no particular destination.

Ted

I agree 100%

This discussion is entertaining. As most general question like twin vs single, definition of full displacement, radar or autopilot etc.

I am also curious as to why people need black or white answers to their general questions. Most things on boats are in the gray areas and tough to define.

Everybody I know says "I'm going to my boat" no matter the boat size.

If anyone says "I'm going to my yacht" and the yacht is less than 75 feet or so, I would assume that the person has a really small pee pee.

Thanks Olebird,

I was looking for my previous post since this thread has gone full circle several times.

What's wrong with calling it a boat? It's a narrower description than trawler, passagemaker, tug, cabin cruiser, yacht, pleasureboat, cruiser etc. Most landlubbers would understand what a boat is.

For other boaters, length/manufacturer/style should do it. 40' Bluewater Pilothouse, 42' Krogen, 42' Grand Banks Tri Cabin etc. If a boater can't figure that out, they haven't boated long enough, haven't gone to a boat show, have blinders on when walking docks or doesn't have a copy of the book "Power Boat Guide".

I'll repeat another of my posts:

Trawler was a marketing term created back in the 70's and 80's during the oil embargoes and high fuel prices.

Fuel efficient, shippy looking boats were built in Taiwan to be sold in the US and called "Trawlers". They were inexpensive for what you got and thousands were sold in the US.

US manufacturers caught on and started manufacturing similar type boats. Marshall Californians, Mainship Nantucket, Bayliner Explorers and many others were sold.

Fast forward to 2019 and the term doesn't fit all the different types of vessels available.

For me, the term Trawler is more of a lifestyle description than a description of the boat; slow, fuel efficient, comfortable riding, roomy, self sufficient cruising.

Exploration. It takes me places I want to explore / visit. It's my mother ship when I travel.

I have a 16' utility boat on a trailer in my garage. That would probably be my pleasure boat. Pack a lunch and wander the Caloosahatchee with no particular destination.

Ted

"Exploration. It takes me places I want to explore / visit. It's my mother ship when I travel."

Breaker, Breaker: Did you describe your boat I should look out for as an "Exploration Mother Ship"...; please further describe... Over...

Trawlers are not fuel efficient.
Sailboats under power are far more efficient than trawlers.

I think most here, if concerned, think of "trawler" as a misnomer for the kind of uses TFers have for a boat. I've suggested "cabin cruiser," as others have referred to. "Pleasure boat" is too general. "Runabouts" could be called pleasure boats.

In a rare fit of reality, I'm wondering what TFers would think if instead of "Trawler Forum," it would be called "Pleasure Boat Forum." Or, "Cabin Cruiser Forum." I think the latter term more acceptable. Same with "TrawlerFest."

"Exploration. It takes me places I want to explore / visit. It's my mother ship when I travel."

Breaker, Breaker: Did you describe your boat I should look out for as an "Exploration Mother Ship"...; please further describe... Over...
My five-year mission, is to explore new waterways, to seek out new anchorages, and meet TF members along the way, to boldly go where no man has gone before, or in the last hour. (Apologies to Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek.)

Ted

Maybe the reason we are on Trawler Forum is because a lot of people who haven't posted so far actually "get it".....

Maybe the reason we are on Trawler Forum is because a lot of people who haven't posted so far actually "get it".....

Most others are simply shaking their heads!... :nonono: LOL

Happy New Year's Eve!!

ddw36 wrote;
“In a rare fit of reality, I'm wondering what TFers would think if instead of "Trawler Forum," it would be called "Pleasure Boat Forum." Or, "Cabin Cruiser Forum." I think the latter term more acceptable. Same with "TrawlerFest."”.

Point well taken.
However the reason boaters dumped “cruiser” for “trawler” is because there is always this search going on for new things. In w the new out w the old. That’s a force that’s very strong in the US.
New is automatically wonderful and old is .. well .. ewe as in Awful. So people use the new word when presented w that choice. An active pair of words now is earth and planet. 30 years ago people usually talked about the earth. They used the word planet when talking about astronomy. Now people usually use the word planet .. and especially “on the planet”. Our very own Marin Fare may have started it. And the word “yes” was for a very long time was a kingpin in our English language. Now people almost universally use “absolutely”. Absolutely was already a fairly popular word but people used it in a very different way. We had the word yes well established and an efficient three letters. But no .. one must be cool. And people say absolutely most of the time.

Trawler is, what it is, now for the same reasons. To be cool, vogue or “in” as they said in the 70’s one must conform to the now, latest thing. So we got sucked in by the nearly insatiable need to be cool. Or is it the need to belong. That probably takes us to the level of dogs. And that takes us back to Marin Faure as his dog probably knows that.

But ddw36, Cruiser is correct and fine w me but heavy cruiser is more specific as is trawler. But your right Cruiser is correct. However coolness is probably a far bigger draw than your grandfather’s Cris Craft ... a Cruiser. But of course cruiser is far more correct. Heavy Cruiser, is however more accurate that trawler. But unseating trawler probably gonna happen (do I dare say it) “any time soon”.

Last edited:
Eric -

I like the word "Cruiser"... as in, "Pleasure Cruiser"... just as good as using "Pleasure Boat" to designate what we own for water transport vessels!

Somehow Pleasure Trawler might work too. However just using the word "Trawler" by itself [that has always signified a hard working watercraft] to designate a floating vessel that is exclusively used for pleasure just seems incongruous.

[SIZE=-1]AUTHOR:[/SIZE]Lewis Carroll (1832–98) [SIZE=-1]QUOTATION:[/SIZE]“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.” [SIZE=-1]ATTRIBUTION:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]LEWIS CARROLL[/SIZE] (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6, p. 205 (1934). First published in 187[SIZE=-1]2.[/SIZE]

Or perhaps per Mr Rhett Butler,

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a dam!"

Cheers :dance:

Happy New Year

"It depends on what the meaning of the word Is, Is"

Bill Clinton - Impeachment Hearing

Happy 2020 in 2 hours 3 minutes

Back
Top Bottom