Definition of trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drive a truck, SUV and a roadster. I refer to all three as "car".

Usually refer to them as white car, blue car, red car.

I drive a truck, SUV and a roadster. I refer to all three as "car".

Usually refer to them as white car, blue car, red car.

Do you have children? "Hey, Kid! No, not you, Kid, I was talking to the other Kid"

I don't dare ask if you are in a polygamist marriage :eek:

No kids.

If we had any kids, they would be kid 1, kid 2, kid 3

If in a polygamist marriage, no names. Would be afraid that I would use the wrong name while in the throes of passion.

"Cabin Cruisers" Like: "CabinCruiserFest" "CabinCruiserForum" That's what they are: cabins you cruise in. Maybe the men don't like it, but it sounds more friendly for the Admirals.

No kids.

If we had any kids, they would be kid 1, kid 2, kid 3

If in a polygamist marriage, no names. Would be afraid that I would use the wrong name while in the throes of passion.

Then again, you could be in a polygamist marriage where all your wives husbands are are named Bob....I mean...if men have more than one wife, why can't a woman have several husbands?

Grand Banks

I joined this forum because it had a GB section when, after buying a GB I was looking for GB like minded folk for info.

This thread got me thinking. back in the early 70's, not sure which year while fishing in my 22 sangster this beautiful cabin cruiser went trawling (pun intended) by. It was then that I knew I would own that boat one day.
OK, it took longer than expected.
It was a Cabin Cruiser, known as a cruiser. While mentioned that another coined the phrase trawler as a model, the word was not used at that time to define a type of boat. I have learned that when the word trawler became a type of boat, the GB became the symbol for that type of boat even if another called one model a trawler. It matters not if GB is the symbol or not of trawler as I was sold on the looks of the Cabin Cruiser going by.
I knew then that is was a wood boat, back when that was a thing.
A boat type that is referred to as a trawler does not normally exceed 9.9 knots, end of story. I have an original Trawler often copied, never duplicated.

Then again, you could be in a polygamist marriage where all your wives husbands are are named Bob....I mean...if men have more than one wife, why can't a woman have several husbands?

I would think that men in polygamist relationships in western society are chauvinists and not share a wife with other men.

And a relationship where one women shares multiple husbands is called polyandry and takes place in some parts of India, China, Africa and South America.

End of sex education Murray.

Can we all agree that there is no universe in which a trawler has use for trim tabs?

I have really enjoyed this forum and the folks who post here. I dont know what definitions mean really and it was the use of the boat that i was interested in. Our previous boats had been faster boats with (trim tabs) and we never really enjoyed needing to get on plane and managing that so in looking for our new boat we wanted slow , steady and predictable. That seemed defined as a trawler on sales sites but i had always thought a trawler was a fishing boat but whatever. Some call boats tugs but to me a tug is a work boat so not sure if there should be any definition other then slow and heavy or light and fast. One you can just sit and enjoy the scenery on auto pilot with the other pounding you like a jet ski.:)

I would think that men in polygamist relationships in western society are chauvinists and not share a wife with other men.

And a relationship where one women shares multiple husbands is called polyandry and takes place in some parts of India, China, Africa and South America.

End of sex education Murray.

Polyandry...duly noted and will place on high alert in word quiver while on holiday in such regions :thumb:

Polyandry...duly noted and will place on high alert in word quiver while on holiday in such regions :thumb:
Absolutely vital to do so, I`d have thought. Though in the interests of inclusivity, that some women have wives, and some men have husbands, seems to have been overlooked.

Absolutely vital to do so, I`d have thought. Though in the interests of inclusivity, that some women have wives, and some men have husbands, seems to have been overlooked.

Yup, and don't forget hermaphrodites...room in the pool for everyone!

Yup, and don't forget hermaphrodites...room in the pool for everyone!
I`m not getting in the pool with an hermaphrodite, though on reflection(in the pool),it might be fairly safe.

You guys need to attend gender reeducation.

Okay...how about people of the pseudohermaphrodism persuasion?

Kind of worried about the specifics of 'gender reeducation' though!

Our vehicles' names, i.e. what we always refer to them by [in house]:

Tollycraft Tri cabin - "The Office" or "TO" [a lot of background in that name]
Crestliner runabout - "Mini Me" [tow behind that is close to same color as The Office]
Blue Water 19' ski boat - "Boat" [long, long family story behind that name]
1967 Buick Wildcat - "Ghost" [she's Artic white, all power, cool and fast road warrior]
1985 1T, 4wd, 4spd, 325 hp, 4" lift Chevy Cheyenne - "Big Blue" [bad ass truck]
1996 RV - "Sweetie" [name says it all]
1998 Explorer SUV - "Tuffy" [simply cause she really is]
2014 Lincoln MKT SUV - "Black Beauty" [luxurious great rig]

I have a "recreational trawler" as it travels at the same speed and mode (displacement speed) as the commercial fishing boat.

I don't have a "cruiser" or any variation of a "cruiser" as those are a warship classification since the 17th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser

Ted

I have a skiff with an electric outboard that will only do 5kts but I don't call it a trawler.

Recreationally... it's always been about "looks" rather than components or speed or use.

True the original "concept" was probably based on boats that "gave" a sense of seaworthiness and utility (whether they did or not) and marketing them this way worked....so speed (which changed through the years as demand for a little more speed came along in the marketing department), hull type, actual capabilities were never important as the "look".

That's been my experience throughout the boating world ....except for TF.

But recreational "trawlers" don't even look like commercial trawlers, at least not in the traditional configuration.

Really?

Think like a marketing expert and not a commercial fisherman.

Back in the day when the early recreational trawlers were first coming out, the average boater probably never saw a real life commercial trawler and wouldn't know a New England eastern rig from a Gulf Shrimper...they don't look alike either....

So marketing hype in boating magazines with boats that didn't look like common cabin cruisers, had masts, smaller engines with good range, probably was why "recreational trawlers" started to catch on with a certain crowd. Then there were enough around the used market, where it was said they were seaworthy to the unsuspecting.... so more and more hit the market. If it wasn't the marketing hype that coined the phrase, it caught on there quick.

After awhile, people were calling a wide variety of similar looking vessels "trawlers", even when the manufacturer was still calling them "XXX cruisers". The name stuck in magazines, ads, brokers, even bridge tenders to name just a few. So it was looks because many of these people don't get displacement or range or many boating things. They know what they like so they buy it. Don't think so? Go work for a big boat dealership as the captain that takes the new owner out and teaches them about their new boat and how to operate it.

Last edited:
You are right of course yet I still can't seem to shake that slight feeling of nausea every time I see some pointy, outdrive driven, totally unseaworthy thing someone wants to call a trawler. You may notice I changed my avatar, that's a small boat I recently put together that I use to tow a small beam trawl inshore for flatfish as well as other artisanal fishing, I don't call it a trawler though it's more akin to one than some.

Interesting and I see it's reference is George Bueller, I like much of what George has to say, and I've read most of his work but frankly I'd hardly present him as an expert on the subject. Prefacing "trawler" with the word recreational doesn't excuse the misuse of the word "trawler".

Well...travel down the ICW through NC and SC and see rowboats, skiffs, homemade boxes with outboards trawling for shrimp.

Every year old words take on new meanings, new words are invented..... all I do is use what is mostly used by the audience around me.

Not that you have to call certain boats, trawlers...there are plenty of suggestions above that cover it nicely...but when I visit marinas and meet lots of other boaters and they have no trouble picking out my boat or others I mention using the word trawler....it's not like what I read here in this thread...

And hardly "misuse" of the word based on my experience. Lack of using it in the "recreational" boating world may signal more than using it.

Like I said even most bridge tenders either know close enough or it doesn't matter at all what you call your boat.

Last edited:
I think I said elsewhere that I don't care what anyone calls their boat, I respect their freedom to do that. Likewise I'm reserving the right for me to have the opinion they're wrong. I guess it's a case of no harm no foul.

Our Tolly "Pleasure Boat" can, likes to and we usually do crise at 6.5 to 7 knots. Yet... that does not mean it is a "Trawler". And. just for fun [as well as quick travel to some place] she likes full plane cruise at 16 to 17 knots. Handles well at all speeds

In fact... no boat is actually a true "trawler" if it does not set, pull and retrieve trawl nets.

Hon, Dear, Love, and Sweety are safe bets!:dance:

Last edited:
Our Tolly "Pleasure Boat" can, likes to and we usually do crise at 6.5 to 7 knots. Yet... that does not mean it is a "Trawler". And. just for fun [as well as quick travel to some place] she likes full plane cruise at 16 to 17 knots. Handles well at all speeds

In fact... no boat is actually a true "trawler" if it does not set, pull and retrieve trawl nets.

Don't worry Art, no one I know would call your boat a trawler either.

It's not speed or hull shape that determine a recreational trawler...it's more the silhouette.

I guess the poor guy who just started the thread "Trawler wanted" will only be getting responses from the commercial fishermen here. :facepalm:

Last edited:
don't worry art, no one i know would call your boat a trawler either.

It's not speed or hull shape that determine a recreational trawler...it's more the silhouette.

i guess the poor guy who just started the thread "trawler wanted" will only be getting responses from the commercial fishermen here. :facepalm:

lol!!

Back
Top Bottom