Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #161
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Fish, I have restrained myself from posting this the last couple of times you mentioned it. But can't anymore.

Are you seriously suggesting that calling recreational boats trawlers, is an insult to those who died working on commercial trawlers?

It seems that you are, repetitively.

Sorry, that's bunkum IMO.
I'm not "suggesting" anything, I'm actually saying something and you've simply misunderstood it. I certainly don't take the use of the word "trawler" applied to pleasure boats as an insult. An oversimplified clarification would perhaps be that I don't care about the words usage but the two forms here are not the same thing for reasons I don't expect most to understand. I'm sorry that this is disturbing to some, especially as I don't know why, that's an issue they'll have to address themselves.

Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #162
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Seems misunderstanding is simply where the point of reference is....because there is no right or wrong here.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #163
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Seems misunderstanding is simply where the point of reference is....because there is no absolute here.
So where's your point of reference? I'm happy to work with that.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #164
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Words/Titles

They are used for the process of designating and/or differentiating circumstances when comparing one item to another and recognizing one item from another.

Therein the word[s]/title[s] gain a definable position, a moniker if you will.

Some times the word[s] used are directly consistent with what an item actually accomplishes - i.e. Working Trawlers trawled nets for catching seafood. Pleasure Boats took people on fun cruises. Speed Boats went fast to win races. Tug Boats tugged ships and other things into placements. Yacht used to be for sailing boats only.

Times change, peoples' tastes alter for word use/definition. Advertising works wonders to twist precepts of one word/title to have it's previous meaning morph into another meaning. i.e. the word Trawler now being readily affixed to what used be called Pleasure Boats or Criusers.

Does it really matter - not too much. I still call vessels "Pleasure Boats" such as is often the case for boats belonging to members of TF. That's because I was brought up on and around the water using that moniker in mid 20th Century. I'm sure persons younger, who were first introduced to pleasure boats having the term trawler affixed will always feel comfortable calling their boats a "Trawler". Does it really matter - not too much - at all!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #165
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Words/Titles

They are used for the process of designating and/or differentiating circumstances when comparing one item to another and recognizing one item from another.

Therein the word[s]/title[s] gain a definable position, a moniker if you will.

Some times the word[s] used are directly consistent with what an item actually accomplishes - i.e. Working Trawlers trawled nets for catching seafood. Pleasure Boats took people on fun cruises. Speed Boats went fast to win races. Tug Boats tugged ships and other things into placements. Yacht used to be for sailing boats only.

Times change, peoples' tastes alter for word use/definition. Advertising works wonders to twist precepts of one word/title to have it's previous meaning morph into another meaning. i.e. the word Trawler now being readily affixed to what used be called Pleasure Boats or Criusers.

Does it really matter - not too much. I still call vessels "Pleasure Boats" such as is often the case for boats belonging to members of TF. That's because I was brought up on and around the water using that moniker in mid 20th Century. I'm sure persons younger, who were first introduced to pleasure boats having the term trawler affixed will always feel comfortable calling their boats a "Trawler". Does it really matter - not too much - at all!!

It's just a word, and like you said to those who's experience with the word "trawler" is as a pleasure boat are comfortable with it in that context, as am I. As I'm feeling a bit misunderstood and at risk of marginalizing myself on here (probably on a few dozen ignore lists by now) I'll stop trying to explain and deal with my issues on my own because there's no need to unload them here.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #166
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #167
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got in my pajamas I'll never know" Now those are words to live by.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #168
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I was born with an...

Oh, never mind.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #169
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
It's just a word, and like you said to those who's experience with the word "trawler" is as a pleasure boat are comfortable with it in that context, as am I. As I'm feeling a bit misunderstood and at risk of marginalizing myself on here (probably on a few dozen ignore lists by now) I'll stop trying to explain and deal with my issues on my own because there's no need to unload them here.
You know Fish, if someone bought a commercial trawler, and rebuilt it as a personal cruiser, then technically it would no longer be a trawler anymore anyway.

Personally I used to get all worked up when someone called my boat a "yacht" which was too pretentious for me.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
You know Fish, if someone bought a commercial trawler, and rebuilt it as a personal cruiser, then technically it would no longer be a trawler anymore anyway.

Personally I used to get all worked up when someone called my boat a "yacht" which was too pretentious for me.
Whoa, careful, to imply that it may be inappropriate to call a pleasure boat a trawler can result in blurred vision and unexplained headaches.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #171
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Whoa, careful, to imply that it may be inappropriate to call a pleasure boat a trawler can result in blurred vision and unexplained headaches.
He didn't actually say that.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #172
Art
Guru

Quote:
RT - For a while now too often what I get on your posts is X in black box. Seems others are seeing your funny stuff. What up pal!!??
Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #173
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "...blurred vision and unexplained headaches." You mean it's NOT the daily tot (usually less than a gallon) of rum? Who knew?

Mr. A. East coast humor. Probably banned in Cali...
Old 02-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #174
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
He didn't actually say that.
You're undoubtedly right, I have no idea where I got the idea " technically it would no longer be a trawler", not that I actually care. I can probably just use some help with what "imply" means.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #175
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "...blurred vision and unexplained headaches." You mean it's NOT the daily tot (usually less than a gallon) of rum? Who knew?

Have you ever noticed that those who need the dulling effects of rum most are usually the ones that it has the least effect on? Why is that?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #176
Art
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,

Too many "snowflakes" here??!! LOL
Old 02-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #177
Guru

Quote:
Too many "snowflakes" here??!! LOL
Well I thought I tried to elevate the conversation, FD,SD, PDF and LSMFT were starting to get confusing.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #178
Art
Guru

Quote:
Well I thought I tried to elevate the conversation, FD,SD, PDF and LSMFT were starting to get confusing.
Current POTUS - talk about confusing!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #179
Guru

Quote:
Current POTUS - talk about confusing!
Well it wasn't as confusing as POTUS, or as excruciating.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #180
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Just to keep this rolling, there are many SD vessels that are great and proven blue water vessels. It would be a tough call to say a FD Nordhavn 64 is a better blue water vessel than a SD Fleming 65.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote