Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #141
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,664
What started the "lifestyle" conversation was whether or not "trawlering" is being on a trawler, or living the trawler "lifestyle". Willy is suggesting that perhaps there is no such thing as a trawlering lifestyle.
__________________
Advertisement

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #142
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Boats have been my life not a lifestyle, I worked offshore for years during the codfish boom in the eighties and then to Alaska in the early nineties. I loved a lot of boats, the old Ambassador you see as my avatar and several others. My first job as captain was on this one, the Nobska.Click image for larger version

Name:	NOBSKA.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	85028 I went on to own several and run others but it was never a lifestyle, it was always my life. Now that I'm aged a bit and have the medical issues that come with it life has slowed and I'm a dirt person until I get my boat done, then watch out. I should point out that for good or bad that's a trawler, everything without a net and fish blood is an imposter.
__________________

Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #143
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
What started the "lifestyle" conversation was whether or not "trawlering" is being on a trawler, or living the trawler "lifestyle". Willy is suggesting that perhaps there is no such thing as a trawlering lifestyle.
Details, details!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #144
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Boats have been my life not a lifestyle, I worked offshore for years during the codfish boom in the eighties and then to Alaska in the early nineties. I loved a lot of boats, the old Ambassador you see as my avatar and several others. My first job as captain was on this one, the Nobska.Attachment 85028 I went on to own several and run others but it was never a lifestyle, it was always my life. Now that I'm aged a bit and have the medical issues that come with it life has slowed and I'm a dirt person until I get my boat done, then watch out. I should point out that for good or bad that's a trawler, everything without a net and fish blood is an imposter.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #145
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Art, I should also point out that I didn't intend that as an insult, it's just the lament of an old trawlerman that's lost too many friends.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #146
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Art, I should also point out that I didn't intend that as an insult, it's just the lament of an old trawlerman that's lost too many friends.
Not taken so by me. I never call any of my "pleasure boats" a trawler.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #147
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,448
Greetings,
All I do is eat so I guess being fat is MY lifestyle...


__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #148
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,664
I have a flat stomach, its just that the "L" is silent.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #149
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Is that FD or SD?
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #150
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,881
Like many changes with life and generatins in general... either you adapt or get left behind.


All the real boaters I know, they know the general description of a recreational trawler and use the term appropriately.


Fish guts and nets...yeah...sure....but for decades, recreational trawlers hanve been built, used and recognized by an industry and boaters that "get it".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #151
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Art, I should also point out that I didn't intend that as an insult, it's just the lament of an old trawlerman that's lost too many friends.

.....

Loggers in the U.S. have the highest occupational death rate at 136 per 100,000. Fishers are second at 86. Police are 14th at 15.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #152
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,448
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "Is that FD or SD?" Well, according to Mr. NW I'll have to get my buttocks classified and I guess that means some sort of inspection and subsequent ruling...Oh dear...


__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #153
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Like many changes with life and generatins in general... either you adapt or get left behind.


All the real boaters I know, they know the general description of a recreational trawler and use the term appropriately.


Fish guts and nets...yeah...sure....but for decades, recreational trawlers hanve been built, used and recognized by an industry and boaters that "get it".
I'm not challenging your comment but I'd like to share an observation. The word trawler comes from the name of the net they're designed to tow, a trawl hence trawler. So if your boat's designed to and does tow a net you can claim the title "trawler". But in truth I couldn't care less what you call your boat, call it a cucumber or a trolley, or even a trawler, it's fine with me really, I didn't post what I did to irritate, I did it to whine a little about memories.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #154
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I'm not challenging your comment but I'd like to share an observation. The word trawler comes from the name of the net they're designed to tow, a trawl hence trawler. So if your boat's designed to and does tow a net you can claim the title "trawler". But in truth I couldn't care less what you call your boat, call it a cucumber or a trolley, or even a trawler, it's fine with me really, I didn't post what I did to irritate, I did it to whine a little about memories.
Well put!

Reason I don't term pleasure boats I own as trawlers... is, well... simply cause in my mind of boating for 60 plus years - they simply are not what I know a "trawler" to be.

BTW: It matters not to me what anyone calls their boat. Including "Trawler"... which got started as a pleasure boating term for advertising/marketing purposes. Madison Ave should be pleased - it worked well!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #155
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,099
Another thought re FD definition.
A vessel that displaces it’s full weight whether running or stopped.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #156
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Well put!

Reason I don't term pleasure boats I own as trawlers... is, well... simply cause in my mind of boating for 60 plus years - they simply are not what I know a "trawler" to be.

BTW: It matters not to me what anyone calls their boat. Including "Trawler"... which got started as a pleasure boating term for advertising/marketing purposes. Madison Ave should be pleased - it worked well!
"A rose by any other name is still a rose". They use sex and chrome, subterfuge and outright lies to sell us stuff so really what's the harm of taking the name of a workboat type and applying it to a pleasure boat? There's trawlers that aren't trawlers and tugboats that aren't tugboats but there's no harm being done. Some people call what McDonalds sells food, I wouldn't eat it but many do, if you swallow it it's food I guess. I would just like to retain the luxury of recalling the image of an old eastern rig trawler with scratched and worn paint and the permanent smell of diesel fuel and fish blood as my definition of a trawler. Just me, everyone else is entitled to their own definition. And FD of course is not mandatory but desirable. There's an old English saying that goes " It's not fish you're buying it's men's lives" that always meant something to me, perhaps these days more than ever. It just seems appropriate that while we use some terms with abandon it may be with some respect we remember their origins while deciding on what color for our countertops or the pattern of our curtains.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #157
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 53. "Is that FD or SD?" Well, according to Mr. NW I'll have to get my buttocks classified and I guess that means some sort of inspection and subsequent ruling...Oh dear...


Is there a government department of asspection? I hear with the shutdown they're a little "behind" in their work.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #158
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
"A rose by any other name is still a rose". They use sex and chrome, subterfuge and outright lies to sell us stuff so really what's the harm of taking the name of a workboat type and applying it to a pleasure boat? There's trawlers that aren't trawlers and tugboats that aren't tugboats but there's no harm being done. Some people call what McDonalds sells food, I wouldn't eat it but many do, if you swallow it it's food I guess. I would just like to retain the luxury of recalling the image of an old eastern rig trawler with scratched and worn paint and the permanent smell of diesel fuel and fish blood as my definition of a trawler. Just me, everyone else is entitled to their own definition. And FD of course is not mandatory but desirable. There's an old English saying that goes " It's not fish you're buying it's men's lives" that always meant something to me, perhaps these days more than ever. It just seems appropriate that while we use some terms with abandon it may be with some respect we remember their origins while deciding on what color for our countertops or the pattern of our curtains.

Don't worry, I doubt you could irritate me.

Fast food....is still fast food....no one is claiming it replaced home cooking...great diner food or a 5 star restaurant. A lot of nice restaurants I have eaten at have pretty bad food too...but they are still called restaurants and still serve food.


I have memories and likes and opinions too...but it doesn't change the fact that for the 60 years I have been involved with pleasure boating a certain "look" of boats have been called recreational trawlers. More recently Tugs have surfaced like pointed out.

I didn't come up with the different boat labels, but I also learned the ropes and used the terms as appropriately as I can to get along with those deeply immersed in the industry....recreational boating....and those that interfaced with it.

When I flew in the USCG...my memories of eastern rigged, wooden trawlers were usually the slick they left right after they sank....only one was left in my area of operations when I retired. They were replaced often by rerigged gulf shrimpers, becoming everything from hydraulic clammers to day scallopers to longliners and plain old trawlers. My old boss even converted one old shrimper into a whaleback crewboat. Times and names change...as do the fisheries. And no one I know in those circles quibble about names like they do here on TF. They see, adapt and go on....

So no one using the term recreational trawler is doing it with abandon....in fact it probably grew out of respect for maritime tradition. But it is neither a new concept, nor is it inappropriate...but like any term it can be misused because of many reasons...just like the term full displacement.


Below is a converted shrimper/trawler/scalloper and now crewboat/utility.
Attached Images
 
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #159
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't worry, I doubt you could offend me.


Fast food....is still fast food....no one is claiming it replaced home cooking...great diner food or a 5 star restaurant. A lot of nice restaurants I have eaten at have pretty bad food too...but they are still called restaurants and still serve food.



I have memories and likes and opinions too...but it doesn't change the fact that for the 60 years I have been involved with pleasure boating a certain "look" of boats have been called recreational trawlers. More recently Tugs have surfaced like pointed out.


I didn't come up with the labels, but I also learned the ropes and used the terms as appropriately as I can to get along with those deeply immersed in the industry....recreational boating....and those that interfaced with it.



When I flew in the USCG...my memories of eastern rigged, wooden trawlers were usually the slick they left right after they sank....only one was left in my area of operations when I retired. They were replaced often by rerigged gulf shrimpers, becoming everything from hydraulic clammers to day scallopers to longliners and plain old trawlers. Times and names change...as do the fisheries. And no one I know in those circles quibble about names like they do here on TF. They see, adapt and go on....


So no one using the term recreational trawler is doing it with abandon....in fact it probably grew out of respect for maritime tradition. But it is neither a new concept, nor is it inappropriate...but like any term it can be misused by those because of many reasons...just like the term full displacement.
I don't mind using the word trawler anyway anyone wants, also I realistically don't believe anyone cares where it came from with few exceptions. The "slick" you referenced is the tombstone of an era, the remnant of an honorable tradition that is little honored today, it seems fitting that it's legacy is now floating in marinas all over the world with martini's being served aboard and coasters to protect the brightwork. Best we move on and leave the dead and sunken to their rest and obscurity.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #160
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
The "slick" you referenced is the tombstone of an era, the remnant of an honorable tradition that is little honored today, it seems fitting that it's legacy is now floating in marinas all over the world with martini's being served aboard and coasters to protect the brightwork. Best we move on and leave the dead and sunken to their rest and obscurity.
Fish, I have restrained myself from posting this the last couple of times you mentioned it. But can't anymore.

Are you seriously suggesting that calling recreational boats trawlers, is an insult to those who died working on commercial trawlers?

It seems that you are, repetitively.

Sorry, that's bunkum IMO.
__________________

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×