Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #22
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post

Yeah. 2 to 2.5gph per engine.... I think anyway.
On our 56,000# Defever 44, we got 1.7 mpg over the most recent 1,800 miles or so doing the Great Loop. Lehman 120's. That included generator time so maybe 1.8 mpg. Any assessment of fuel efficiency must factor in the weight that is being moved through the water. Less weight, less fuel although there is probably not a direct correlation/extrapolation.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #23
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Really a nice boat with a lot of nice features:

Galley same level as salon, and in a very workable area.
Walk around, for easy docking.
Large stateroom.
Nice cockpit, unlike a lot of DeFevers.
Minimal ladders (would be great if there were none) and the one down to the swim platform is a lousy design, just waiting for someone to fall off it.
Nice access from the pilot house.

Is that a cheap price? Dunno, but I wouldn't be interested in a boat that old regardless..just me. But a lot of boat.

And I would have thought it would have gotten better mileage, especially at 7 knots. Isn't this a full displacement hull?

But overall, a very nice boat.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Our boat has hydraulic stabilizers.
If you don't turn them on, will they act like bilge keels and temper rolling at anchor/underway? Just curious if they have enough surface area to have any effect if inop.
I was impressed when I saw how much boat was below the waterline when it was on the hard! They are incredibly well built and pack a lot of weight in that footprint. IIRC he said it burned roughly 6 gph on that trip. It was a "heavy" boat though as it was a full-time live-aboard and had been a dock queen for about 10 years before he took advantage of the crash and bought a house. He is a Dr and had several tons of books and files onboard in addition to all his tools/spares, and life's "junk". Plus when we started out every tank except the holding tank was topped up full. I don't recall the figure but he did say he'd raised the bootstripe and bottom paint years before.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
DeFevers, as with all recreational M/Vs, yield nmpg numbers reflective of the hand on the throttle. They are not a slippery boat like a Krogen.

But as has been said many times, the price of fuel is not relevant in the big picture for all. If it is, stay at that dock and do short trips.

Speaking of costs, just got the bill for boat waxing. Stripping the cap rail varnish and putting on 8 new coats comes next. Fuel is cheap in comparison. The boat looks great and has full tanks for the next long trip. Trips, safely, reliably and comfortably. That is what heavily built DeFevers do very well.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
On our 56,000# Defever 44, we got 1.7 mpg over the most recent 1,800 miles or so doing the Great Loop. Lehman 120's. That included generator time so maybe 1.8 mpg. Any assessment of fuel efficiency must factor in the weight that is being moved through the water. Less weight, less fuel although there is probably not a direct correlation/extrapolation.

Right.

But when you think of trawlers you (or at least I do) think of fuel efficiency. But then you break it down, and its really not all that more efficient than the planing hull mainship that I'm living on with 454's. I also get about 1-1.5mpg but I get there twice as fast.

It's really just an observation because I've been hung up on diesel vs gas vs fuel costs for so long.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
Guru

I`ve often wondered if Lehman 120s in DF44 and above, is a big ask. I think I saw then fitted to an early 80s 48 advertised here,which I recall looked more like a 10yo boat than a 35yo one.
Would they be working hard, maybe harder than is economic or good for them? We`ve twin L120s, they don`t work hard in 36ft,so maybe fine in 44ft+.

Using unreliable memory, I think Sunchaser`s DF48 has Perkins Sabre engines, unsure about hp.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`ve often wondered if Lehman 120s in DF44 and above, is a big ask. .
Not even a little bit of strain on those engines at hull speeds. a single would do it easily. In fact the Defever 41 came as a single! Twins are installed for handling, redundancy, and weight! Unlike the current crop, the older "semi-planing hull" trawler powerplants were designed to go slow and easy, thriftily, and for a lifetime.

That is why these engines will last for 10s of thousands of hours with a minimum of maintenance.

Played with a propulsion calculator once and IIRC my 1984 34 Mainship MkIII with full keel and semi-planing hull required less than 40hp to achieve hull speeds! Yet it came with an intercooled aftercooled 200HP turbocharged lump of Perkins last-forever commercial grade overkill. But she could lift up her skirt and scoot along at 13-14 kts. but......we spent 99.9% of our time at 7-9 kts and our feet kicked up on the console steering with our toes watching the world slide along.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #29

City: Knoxville
Pass on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Wonder how much my monthly payments would be on this beauty. THIS would be the boat I would buy if I could have any boat I wanted.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...g#.W5G9_c5KiCg
If you have to pay payments on it, you can't afford it. Pass on it and enjoy what you have!

BB
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
If you have to pay payments on it, you can't afford it. Pass on it and enjoy what you have!

BB
You are an troll, MR. Post Number 1.

At current interest rates many would be idiots NOT to have a loan!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post

BB

You mean the one I'm making payments on now?
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`ve often wondered if Lehman 120s in DF44 and above, is a big ask. I think I saw then fitted to an early 80s 48 advertised here,which I recall looked more like a 10yo boat than a 35yo one.
Would they be working hard, maybe harder than is economic or good for them? We`ve twin L120s, they don`t work hard in 36ft,so maybe fine in 44ft+.

Using unreliable memory, I think Sunchaser`s DF48 has Perkins Sabre engines, unsure about hp.
At 1,650 RPM our DF44 goes 8.5 mph. At 1,550 she goes 8.0 mph. Neither RPM is over-taxing a Lehmam 120.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Day Tripper
Vessel Model: Albin 28 Tournament Express
From 1977 to 1986 the DeFever RPH was built in the Sen Koh yard in Taiwan. The hull has a slightly softer chine than those built by CTF/POCTA (1986 to present) and the ultra hard chine of the current 50 foot version. With those boats built by Sen Koh, the fly bridge is on top of the pilot house giving it a higher profile than those built by CTF.

The price is about right for this vintage and apparent condition DeFever. Prices have actually held pretty stable on these boats for about the past 10 years. Many have gone up significantly.

The CTF/POCTA version with the harder chine (unless you're doing the loop, still needs stabilizers), with either the 135 Lehman Ford's (the 135 is the same engine as the 120 with most of the bugs fixed) or preferably the 135 Perkins Sabres are now climbing in price, especially those noted to be Plan B's (with direct access from salon to the master stateroom).

In 1986 production shifted to the CTF/POCTA yard in Taiwan managed by Wilson Lin (still manages the new yard in China). They moved the flybridge aft of the pilothouse, hardened the chines, changed to the 135's and created the Plan B. Art DeFever liked what Wilson's designers changed. Art attended most DeFever Rendezvous (that's where we met him).

We sold our 2001 49 DeFever CPMY in 2012. The same boat is now for sale for $40K more than what we sold it.

DeFever's stand out. They are solid boats. One article referred to them as "cult" boats. Once you get "Da Fever" (song), you will always have a soft spot in your heart for these boats.
HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

By the way, the 49 DeFever CPMY is the 44' DeFever with a 5 foot cockpit extension. That extra five feet gives the boat flatter aftersection for form stability and a longer keel for lateral stability so many of the 49 CPMY's don't have stabilizers - we didn't.

Think about it, a 44 foot boat with a walk-in engine room, work bench, sea chest for all below the water line seacocks, huge covered sundeck (we've had 14 people there for jam sessions) the flybridge is like a lido deck on a cruise ship (we had a disco ball we could hang during parties). There are several 44's for sale, check them out. Great boats. Did I mention "cult" boats. Yeah, I'm still hooked on DeFevers.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #35
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Defever RPH...

HypnoBob - great posts, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

One thing Iíve wondered about is range. It seems like tankage maxes out at 800 gallons in everything below the big 60í+ flush deck POCs.

Seems like decent range with Lehmanís but with the big CATs Iíd imagine range is quite limited.

Any perspective you can share?
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The DeFever 44+5 CPMY (aka 49), carries 1000 gallons of fuel.
Two 350 gal saddle tanks + 200 in under the master tank + 100 in the lazzarette tank.

The 120's or the 135's get incredible mileage. The bigger cats, not so much. But, if you're cruising the Great Loop, you've got fuel available everywhere. There is one 200 mile stretch down the Mississippi that you'll need tankage for. In our DeFever, we mostly added fuel just to keep it fresh (a thousand gallons goes a very long way)!

Even in the Bahamas, there was quality fuel available on most islands. We fueled once in Emerald Bay Marina the entire time we were there (3 months).

Let me know if you have any more questions about the boats. Love them.