Deck chocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff F

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I have an impressive chock on the stern of my new boat. That's 3/4" line.

I don't need anything quite that big, but need to source 4-8 chocks to install elsewhere on deck. The railing shown is similar all around, and I'll also install armouring on the wood adjacent to the chocks.

Does anyone have pointers on where I might find suitable hardware? Used/reclaimed would be great. Don't have unlimited budget. Need to get installed for winter mooring.

Thanks in advance. IMG_20200907_015601.jpegIMG_20200907_015425.jpeg

I suggest a local marine boneyard and or a broad internet search.

Last edited:
You will do a lot of looking and may not ever find more than 2 that match..

Visit your local prop shop and ask where he gets his sand castings done.

Contact them for a price per pound and get a dozen done.

Use what you need and sell any extra to another boater.

Much of the TT bronze is useful as a pattern but the best has a very soft radius so the line has an easy life.

The style that has horns built in is good as the distance from the tie up to the line going overboard is frequently short enough there is no chafe.

They are east to kick if the deck is narrow.

Scrap material is fine to cast with, props and shafts are made from good bronze.

If you decide to simply make your own pattern for the caster , remember the bronze will shrink about 10% on cooling.

Last edited:
Check ebay for used marine hardware.

If you want them to look the same, pull one of your chocks and take it to Skara Metal Foundry on Kamato Rd. in Mississauga. Jimmy will use it as a pattern and sand cast identical units. A little polishing and you will not be able to tell the diference. He is accustomed to dealing cheap cruisers :)

Will cost a fraction of anything a marine supplier can come up with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom