Deck chairs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! A lot of material here.
I've been busy today, getting our Airstream ready for the trip that will culminate on the West coast with the delivery of our new boat.
Now I understand why we are struggling with this purchase.
For this trip we have decided to use our Airstream/camping chairs until we can better figure out where we are headed.
Our day to day chairs are awesome little Kermit chairs that stow away in incredibly small, compact form. They are remarkably comfortable and might actually just work perfectly on the boat too.
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair

We also have a set of these little torture devices.
https://alitedesigns.com/collections/park/products/mantis-chair-spreckels-red

They are our "guest" chairs when camping. Not the easiest things to get out of after a glass of wine or two but comfortable to sin in!
These might be good for sitting on the bow or for the upper deck...

Looks like we're going to have to try a bunch of different chairs before deciding!

Thank's everyone, I appreciate the replies!
Bruce

product | Telescope Casual Furniture

These are the deck chairs that we use.
Made in USA, available with wood or MGP arms with or without cup holders. Very comfy, light weight, folds easily for storage. We just ordered 2 more ,all with white mesh fabric.
We had folding teak chairs, but found them to be not so comfy, too heavy, and hard to stow.

Bill

Wow! A lot of material here.
I've been busy today, getting our Airstream ready for the trip that will culminate on the West coast with the delivery of our new boat.
Now I understand why we are struggling with this purchase.
For this trip we have decided to use our Airstream/camping chairs until we can better figure out where we are headed.
Our day to day chairs are awesome little Kermit chairs that stow away in incredibly small, compact form. They are remarkably comfortable and might actually just work perfectly on the boat too.
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair
Bruce

Ok, I like the Kermit chair. Had to find the assembly and disassembly videos to fully appreciate them. Now I have to convince myself 4 chairs are worth $640! :eek:

Ted

This is what we have . The frames are stainless steel. The chairs are very comfortable but expensive and really heavy . I like those teak chairs and they would be easier to store and move around . We're under roof so the sun does damage the vinyl as quick .We get our cheezy look from the ceiling fan .

I chose the same chairs with the heavy stainless steel frames. I called the manufacturer who informed me that these were the only model of their folding chairs that were strong and stable enough to be recommended for use underway. Since my new-to-me boat has no seating in the cockpit, I bought four of them on sale over Christmas for use underway and dockside. I fold them when not in use, and had a fitted cover made to protect them. We'll see how they work out.

9521832.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I like the Kermit chair. Had to find the assembly and disassembly videos to fully appreciate them. Now I have to convince myself 4 chairs are worth $640! :eek:

Ted
They are actually incredibly easy to put together once you learn the proper sequence of assembly.
I can do it pretty quickly now. It's a little game...
Bruce

I think Bruce B is on the right track! <<They are our "guest" chairs when camping. Not the easiest things to get out of after a glass of wine or two but comfortable to sin in!>>

Sin on a boat is always dandy.

I think Bruce B is on the right track! <<They are our "guest" chairs when camping. Not the easiest things to get out of after a glass of wine or two but comfortable to sin in!>>

Sin on a boat is always dandy.

Too funny! Missed that little typo... I'll go out on a limb here, any sinning in these chairs would be quite an achievement!
Bruce

We've got the space, so on the lower aft deck we use these full size wicker chairs with cushions, fits four easy enough, but usually put out three when it's just us two, very comfy....and on the upper deck we use the same stocky SS framed units that Larry M pictures above.

Attachments

• veranda copy 2.jpg
    veranda copy 2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We find chairs like these, similar to that in DHeckrotte's post, are all we need, and stow away quickly and easily, taking minimal space. The arm rest pocket drink holder also comes in really handy. I doubt I'd bother with anything else on a boat, unless it was so big I had room to burn, as it were...

Attachments

• Deck chair.jpg
    Deck chair.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
hustler, that looks very comfy.

Spaciousness is one of the Manatee's greatest assests.

My wife bought these on Amazon. I think they were $80 ea. We use them in the salon and the cockpit. The little side tables that are connected to the chairs come in handy when the dinette & the coffee table aren't enough for our guests.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 86
  • FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 100
Nardi Deck Chairs

We're considering these chairs from Costco. They come in 3 colors, fold/nest, have a mesh back and seat and 5 reclining positions. Not bad at $100/chair.

Attachments

• Nardi Deck Chair.jpg
    Nardi Deck Chair.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 90
I chose the same chairs with the heavy stainless steel frames. I called the manufacturer who informed me that these were the only model of their folding chairs that were strong and stable enough to be recommended for use underway. Since my new-to-me boat has no seating in the cockpit, I bought four of them on sale over Christmas for use underway and dockside. I fold them when not in use, and had a fitted cover made to protect them. We'll see how they work out.

Looks like the padded vinyl WM stainless-frame chair we got to replace our ancient aluminum-frame Garelick chairs. The Garelick models had a more laid-back attitude; one sits more upright in the new one.

Have to admit, I found the old ones more comfortable... influenced by 40+ years of low-back issues. You probably won't even notice :)

I should have added to my first: for casual cockpit seating, many times folks just find a perch on the coamings, and if I didn't claim the padded chair or the portable director's chair first, I often just sit on the lower bridge stairs.

-Chris

Last edited:
We used a couple of Kottler Tiffany chairs for five years on our last boat. Then they spent eight more years on our house's lanai. Now they are going aboard our new boat. Best is that they are heavy enough not to slide around while underway. Cushions are available at any big box store.

Attachments

• Kottler.jpeg
    Kottler.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 74
My wife bought these on Amazon. I think they were $80 ea. We use them in the salon and the cockpit. The little side tables that are connected to the chairs come in handy when the dinette & the coffee table aren't enough for our guests.

We have some of the same type of chair and have had them for close to 20 years. We initially got them for camping when the kids were young and have since used them extensively at home on the deck, or inside when we needed extra seating. Every time my in-laws came to visit we would get them out as they are sturdy, not terribly low, and the arms meant the old folks could get out of them.

Me too.
You can get these at Academy, Cabela's, Bass Pro. Have a few different types--some heavier than others but we use them on boat, tailgate, backyard get togethers. The folding shelf is out of the way if you don't need it.

Work well for us and I've seen some on sale for less than $30

I have a hugh bow and we spend a lot up there, but it is gelcoat and not teak flooring. We have to be carful with chairs that will leave black marks.

So what does a redneck do? I visit Harbor Freight and gets a folding chair with a side table for about $24. Then I go to Lowes and get white rubber feet for my new chairs.

Attachments

• 62314_zzz_500.jpg
    62314_zzz_500.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 074523044155.jpg
    074523044155.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 81
We have this chairs onboard, this is from Italia, and price was reasonable, and for $20 more they did sewing boat name and logo ...
This company was at FLIBS

valdenassi@valdenassi.com

148521450437692.jpg

14852145066280.jpg

This is what we have . The frames are stainless steel. The chairs are very comfortable but expensive and really heavy . I like those teak chairs and they would be easier to store and move around . We're under roof so the sun does damage the vinyl as quick .We get our cheezy look from the ceiling fan .

We have four of the same model. Two are stainless frames and two aluminum. Aluminum ones much lighter to handle, just as good overall. We also have a few sunbrella folders that stay in their sack, in the closet until required for xtra company.

Basic thing about chairs on board is comfort during use and ease of sto-ability. I recommend trying many model chairs before choosing your favorite.

Folding camp chairs as shown in post 39. Got four stored in companionway locker. Store very compact. Works well as often the cockpit is for fishing and all the furniture needs to be gone. Start socializing with polite company, go get the chairs.

We use these chairs.
Good balance of lightness, fold-ability and comfort.
I see quite a number of chairs here are very similar.
We need to quit using them for camp chairs as they get dirty quick. Kids put a small tear in one chair. Need dedicated chairs for both.
We usually use the chairs facing aft .. not fwd looking at the aft end of our cabin. That's why I took the FG curved cockpit seat out. Usually a great view aft at anchor or tied to a float.

Attachments

• IMG_1797 copy.jpg
    IMG_1797 copy.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 78
Fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_4790.JPG
    IMG_4790.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4791.JPG
    IMG_4791.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 60