Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #41
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Deciding which boat to buy

....and realize when I reference "flybridge", I am referring to a past boat.....and a future one!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #42
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Susan wrote:

From your photo I'm wondering if that is Mainship?* or not.* That would be another choice possibly.* Any comments on that one?
Yes that is a Mainship 34t 2006 single Yanmar 370 HP.

As some have said the flybridge may or may not be used a lot in PNW but as someone else has said it is free added space with in the footprint of the boat.* One thing to consider is if you do not have it you can not use it.* But if it is there you do not have to use it.

We went with the Mainship for a couple of reasons.* This is our first Trawler coming from sail.* We found out with sail boats*that there is never the ultimate*last boat.* Mainship was not our first choice but as we looked at more and more boats it quickly moved up the ladder when considering the bang for the buck.* We thought that a under $200K mistake was easier to fix than an under $400k mistake would be and we still feel that way.* We are quite happy with the Mainship we have chosen.

One more comment about the flybridge.* It is like AC.* In the PNW I'm sure you will be told that here is no need for AC and this may be true.**And there are folks on the upper*east coast*that feel the same way.* The problem is that it will limit the resale value and the number of potential buyers.* If you don't need AC don't use it there is no cost to maintaining it if you do not use it.* But someone may want to look at the boat to buy it and will not because of the lack of AC.* The same holds true with the flybridge.* People do crazy things.* We looked at a boat that was in the NW, when we hadn't wrapped our head around a Mainship as of yet, with the idea of using it up there for a summer or two and then having it shipped to NC by truck.* Being a NT that is done all of the time.* But what stopped us was it did not have AC and we knew that we would need AC when it got here and we might want it while it was there.* So we moved on and we are not sorry that we did.

There are some very nice Mainships in the PNW for sale.

So take all the good advice you get with a grain of salt and pick something that you like.* It will be a compromise at best no matter which you chose.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

But just think how much more seaworthy your'e boat will be without that big heavy thing way up over the roof of your main deck not to mention the windage of the bird cage on top of that. However there are times when the beam sea is light and all that fluff stuff may act like a steadying sail. But when the going gets nasty I'm sure glad some PO took the FB off my Willy. This is the place for opinions** right???
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #44
JD
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:But just think how much more seaworthy your'e boat will be without that big heavy thing way up over the roof of your main deck not to mention the windage of the bird cage on top of that. However there are times when the beam sea is light and all that fluff stuff may act like a steadying sail. But when the going gets nasty I'm sure glad some PO took the FB off my Willy. This is the place for opinions** right???
Right.**On my boat if need be the canvas comes off in less than an hour and the windage isn't a factor.* Everyone uses their boat in a different way and in different weather to be sure.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Deciding which boat to buy

Eric

Most*"trawler" boats over 45' have fly bridges, you can't get away from it.* Selenes, Nordhavns, Flemings, DeFevers, Grand Banks, OA, etc they all have them. For good reason, they are a great place to hang out. Windage you are correct if you are doing an ocean cruise.* Like JD says, take the side panels down if you are concerned. His boat, Mainship, has some of the nicest fly bridge setups for their size. It is what helps sell them.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 6th of February 2011 11:04:27 AM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Susan

In case I missed it in earlier posts -- before you invest in a used vessel, check the engine archives section of boatdiesel.com It will be a very well spent $25. Engines to avoid and engines to buy will stand out. You can even post your questions to the experts there.

You may want to check out the AT 395, it is a stretched 34.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #47
JD
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:Eric
Like JD says, take the side panels down if you are concerned. His boat, Mainship, has some of the nicest fly bridge setups for their size. It is what helps sell them.
You got that right.* We can seat at least eight and sometime more when at the dock.