Dealing with a wake from boat passing from behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was cruising down the intracoastal toward Charleston yesterday. There were a couple of guys fishing up ahead on a small skiff. Behind me I noticed a coast guard boat (40-50 footer) moving up behind me at a good clip. I slowed considerably as I passed the skiff. The coast guard vessel did the same. I was still slightly ahead of the coast guard vessel when he decided to go full throttle and pass me. I saw the large wake heading toward my starboard side. I turned toward it. My boat wallowed but went over the wake. Bow dipped and I struggled to gain control. I did and got her on course again. My question is what could I have done to better control my boat. I was worried about turning away from for the wake for fear it would push me into the shallows. Thanks for any advice!

Several times I've turned about 120° to meet the oncoming wakes. Weird looking but it works.

Did the CG vessel give you any type of signal he was going to pass e.g. horn, VHF call? IMO, if he did not, given the manner in which he passed, he was acting irresponsibly and I would report him for sure. Even if he was in a hurry to assist another boater he is responsible for making his intentions known. A previous post suggested you may not have slowed down enough. If that is true, the CG vessel should have communicated that he desired you to do so.

Wake

When possible and safe I make sharp turns into the wake. Even if it requires 90 Deg. It makes a huge difference and you don’t get that repetitive push

This is my strategy. After having numerous appliances and personal gear thrown to the deck and suffering personal injury, I turn 90 degrees and push straight through it.

The CG should know better than that.

Bryant when do you turn 90 degrees?

I think SooValley said it on page 1. To do a U turn.

If it’s a channel make the U turn wide enough so you wind up going the opposite direction about equal distance from the channel edge and it’s center.
Then take the CG boats wake at about 25 degrees on your bow. Slow at impact if needed and see below ....

When taking wakes from on-coming craft on the port side I find that on a course about 20-30 degrees to their wake (a guess) my boat will work his wake so at one point my port fwd qtr. will be engaging one crest of the on-coming wake and the next wave (that just passed under the center of my boat) will be engaging the stbd. stern qtr. This way my boat is supported equally on two opposite corners. Even if the wake is substantial my boat will not roll at all .. if I timed it right.
Try it. Practice and try to gauge the speed, height and angle. When you do it right burn that memory into your brain. And try and recall it the next time. With practice you’ll get many just right. Study the Waves coming toward you and imagine your boat straddling a pair of waves.

Sorry about the long sentence above. Read it slowly.

I was crossing Puget Sound about 2 years ago, headed to Seattle. I had a Kitsap County Fast foot ferry come roaring up behind me and cut me off, forcing me to veer into the path of a big car ferry. They didn’t respond to a radio call.

I had the GPS coordinates of the location, the boat ID (ferry 2). I sent an email off to the organization that owns those boats. Never got an answer, not even a canned email back...

Up in Saratoga Passage, en route to the Deception Pass, there were three boats present. Mine, a 125 foot pleasure boat named “Sin or Swim’” (Tacky!!), and a newish Trawler type boat about 10 feet bigger than mine. I heard the Captain on the SorS call out to the other boat that he would give him room, and then he proceeded to swerve and pass me at what was probably WOT, and maybe 15 feet of clearance or less. He was so close, he threw about 6 foot waves at my beam. There was plenty of room, it was totally unnecessary. Very unpleasant !!

Sometimes no matter what you do, somebody is just going to get ya. I’m amazed at how often the offenders clearly don’t have any idea about what they did or why. I used to get quite upset at folks (I once mooned a whale watching boat with a full passenger load after the skipper would not respond on the radio), but it’s usually just not worth the energy and NO I did not properly stow that bag of Cheetos on the counter. It’s a small enough world, eventually you get to chat with the offenders at the dock. Almost always nice folks who are just in their own world, in a hurry, on a schedule, etc...

On the other hand, a mascerator pump plumbed into a wash down pump would naturally be effective against those within the right effective range. But as the saying goes, no matter how carefully you try to pick up a shat sandwich, you always get some on ya. For the 1% that truly crosses the line, there are courts. Maybe a dashcam for the boat should be on the list somewhere, for that special day when a bit of video and telemetry has its day. Everything else you are just tilting at windmills.

Wake

Bryant when do you turn 90 degrees?

I think SooValley said it on page 1. To do a U turn.

If it’s a channel make the U turn wide enough so you wind up going the opposite direction about equal distance from the channel edge and it’s center.
Then take the CG boats wake at about 25 degrees on your bow. Slow at impact if needed and see below ....

When taking wakes from on-coming craft on the port side I find that on a course about 20-30 degrees to their wake (a guess) my boat will work his wake so at one point my port fwd qtr. will be engaging one crest of the on-coming wake and the next wave (that just passed under the center of my boat) will be engaging the stbd. stern qtr. This way my boat is supported equally on two opposite corners. Even if the wake is substantial my boat will not roll at all .. if I timed it right.
Try it. Practice and try to gauge the speed, height and angle. When you do it right burn that memory into your brain. And try and recall it the next time. With practice you’ll get many just right. Study the Waves coming toward you and imagine your boat straddling a pair of waves.

Sorry about the long sentence above. Read it slowly.

If you have an overtaking boat or an oncoming boat that is kicking up a wake and you do a u turn then all you are doing is switching the beam wake you will take from port to starboard. Makes no sense. Turning 90 degrees into a large wake produces no roll and only a little hobby horse, which is what a trawler hull is designed to do. I’ll stick with my system. Try it.

Bryant,
I remember I had a long sentence in that post .. too long.
In a channel I’m northbound w a fast boat behind. I do a U turn to assume a course in the southbound side of the channel. We pass and I take his wake on my port bow quarter.
Hope that helps.

andrewc,sadly, based purely on the above, it was all your own fault. You should have predicted the CG boat would suddenly increase speed throwing a huge wake, and that CG would know nothing of the adjacent shallows which were your only alternative course.:rolleyes:
We moved our boat off Sydney Harbour after a 50ft cruiser passed us fast and close enough to send green water into our cockpit. All my own fault too, I suppose.
For us, it was the last straw of misconduct on the Harbour. Commonsense and courtesy on the water would go a long way to making boating safer and more fun.
Sadly the same type of behaviour is also prevalent on Pittwater and Broken Bay. Have had tthe fun of being passed on either side by two 50ft fantastic plastics going full bore as we entered Pittwater around West Head. Sadly the wakes did not cancel each other and we hung on tight for an exciting ride!

Sadly the same type of behaviour is also prevalent on Pittwater and Broken Bay. Have had tthe fun of being passed on either side by two 50ft fantastic plastics going full bore as we entered Pittwater around West Head. Sadly the wakes did not cancel each other and we hung on tight for an exciting ride!
Simon, we left Sydney Harbour in 2015 for Broken Bay/Hawkesbury, in a Brooklyn marina. Your experience with 2 50ft speedboats performing a pincer movement is nasty,but we find it generally safer and more friendly than the Harbour.

We are on a swing next to RMYC. Probably much better than the Harbour, but have noticed a deterioration in generl boating manners and knowledge of the rules (or they just ignore them)over the last 10 years.

I find turning 90 degrees into a a passing-from-behind boat's wake to be satisfactory, turning engine speed to idle.

For years I've been in favor of highway vehicles being equipped with 360 degree video and audio recording capability. Why? I found out that it is estimated that a full 30% of DUI stops are fake. It works like this: You're driving alone (no witnesses) at night. A cop pulls you over. He calls for back up. Two or more police cars show up. Then he asks you to walk a sobriety test. You do it nicely. All the cops will now swear at you trial that you failed test. It happened to my wife...only she had two collage age kids asleep in the back seat. Oh damn she's got witnesses. The cop mumbled something about her looking like she was "swerving." Then he got in his car and drove off.

Now it seems for self-protection we need the same equipment on boats.

/snip Agreed - it's gonna happen sooner or later. Hang on and ride it out. Certainly reminds you what wasn't secured.

And when it's in a narrow pass like Deception here in puget sound...it's just gonna suck.

-tozz

IMG_8287.jpg

We are on a swing next to RMYC. Probably much better than the Harbour, but have noticed a deterioration in general boating manners and knowledge of the rules (or they just ignore them)over the last 10 years.
Just south of RMYC? If so, I`ve seen your boat. As the boating community widens and we get older, the standards of some seems to deteriorate. But what we get is still way better than Sydney Harbour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom