DDG 1000, the USS Zumwalt returning to Bath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Rumor has it due to the high cost she may be the first and last of her class. Do not know if true or not. There are comparisons being made to the F35. Seems, if I remember correctly $4 Billion a copy. Lotta money for a ship that some has concerns might roll in a heavy seaway.

That will buy and crew a number of conventional destroyers, that are still the most capable in the world by far.

I suppose if the USN can buy a boat without side decks, so can I....

Plus $9 billion project research costs that are not amortized into the cost per hull. Started as 15, I believe, then decreased to 10. Now 3.

Cancelling the majority of the DDG-1000 and reverting to the antique DDG-51 was a huge mistake. The life-cycle costs of the extended life 51 will likely exceed the already stunning costs of the 1000.

But, like the F-35, the entire concept of DDG-1000 is based on incorrect threat assessments. An extravagant gun platform is the last thing the Navy currently needs. Before you can sit off somebody’s coast and blast the pants off them with 155s, you need to get past their navy and air force. DDG-1000 is exactly the wrong specification for that. All the stealth radar cross-section is mostly BS. You don't need surface search radar to track or locate a surface ship, and you haven't for decades.

What is needed is a high-low mix of extremely capable destroyers, conventional submarines, and an affordable but truly multi-role frigate. Most of that is out there and for sale – but, of course, not made in the US. Besides, that approach is not techno-flashy.

Guess I got carried away here - ruminations from the goat locker.

My Goat Locker thinks the DDG may exceed expectations, but if as it has been mentioned the concept is doomed to fail DDG 1002 is named correctly and hull #'s 1000 and 1001 deserve better.

Phew. That is an evil looking ship, some might even say ugly. They sure don't make them like they used to. Of course, function must take priority over form.

Yeah, hidho, the naming thing is completely bizarre. Must make the troops proud to wear a hack politician's name on their shoulder instead of some long ago place name like "Ticonderoga" or "Iwo Jima" or rediculous aggressive names like "Intrepid."

And then there's submarines ..... In the words of Rickover "Fish don't vote."

That's typical Rickover.
I was surprised looking over the kicka.. weapons list that Asroc is still alive and kicking. Not really surprising though as I recall the Skipjack being put out of commission by one we launched that failed to shut down and ended up in her screw. Sort of " scimmers revenge".

It kinda looks like an overturned hull to me. Note that I said "it" and not "She".

Ah gender discrimination, that not PC. DDG 1000 looks kind of remind me of when the A10 Warhog debut, then later on the nah sayers saw it in action !

Just a guess but I'll venture that the top third of the superstructure is a near hollow screen with practically conventional antenna fields behind.

So, stability concerns etc are likely not unconsidered in the design and execution.

Back
Top Bottom