Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
In this era of good clean fuel being available for most of us, mentioned above and worth repeating IMHO are two things.

First, buy your fuel at a known brand high turnover location. Second, check that the dock fuel pumps have in line fuel filters. These are not in lieu of a good on board fuel filter setup.

Fortunately on our DeFever one of the smaller tanks (80g) is continually being filtered from a bottom sump draw feeding the fuel delivery pump to the diesel heater. That tank, one of four, is our ultimate backup. The filter and bowl on that specific Racor have never shown water or debris. Knock on wood.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

But until you go to places that are rarely visited or are barrel farms or you get there with more than 1/2 your fuel gone......cruising in most of North America us not that scary when it comes to fuel.

My 2 engine shutdowns in the last 12,000 miles were from air and I have received nothing short of excellent fuel between NJ and FL.
My typical cruising grounds are Florida SE to Windward Isl.
I have picked up fuel from a pickup truck at San Sal, which was in an unknown drum and siphoned started by mouth, direct to my deck plate.

In one of the Georgetown's, a direct feed from a small tanker truck; although that in itself is likely a better arrangement against water.

Fuel at Sweeting's Cay comes in on 16' skiffs inside blue plastic drums. But that is predominately gas. MT drums are stored outside in the rain.

I've had to drain straight water out of an airplane wing during preflight, maybe a pint. This in a US airport, where there is very tight controls on fuel quality. Shaking the wings to get more to settle in the sumps.

Anyway, It just seems that there are threats out there, and if there is something easily doable to mitigate then it might make sense.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You are a candidate if those are your cruising grounds, methods of refueling and your boat can be set up or needs a separate day tank.....no argument here.

I would do it too if I was routinely drum fueling.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
An interesting spread of answers. Ranging from 100,000 gallon systems to 40 with day tanks. I don't suppose I'll be buying a steam plant so likely won't have to build a fire under any day tank to loosen up the fuel .

So, scaling up the situation in post #22. Let's say now that something like a GB42 is targeted for a day tank. One possible solution is make one existing tank the day tank. If doing this from scratch, that tank would not have a deck fill, would perhaps vent into the other tank, the engines/genset would only feed from the DT, and there would be no Y valves for the feed and the return fuel lines. You have a set of filters from the pumped main tank feed into the DT. Seems like things are getting simpler, not more complicated.

But here is an issue. It's time to refuel, and I need 300 gallons in each tank. The speed of the dock pump could far exceed the capability to transfer fuel. I'll take on 300 gallons, then have to wait until that quantity transfers to the day tank; then take on another 300 gallons. I think the dock boy and any waiting vessels are going to be not amused. The solution is a fast transfer system, and likely scaling up the Racors for 10x the normal rating. Beyond that, it appears to be a workable, minimalist system.
The other option is to add a real DT. Only works if space is available.
First, I don't disagree with others who suggest just buying clean fuel and not worrying about this. But you want to explore this which is also fine, so let's explore it.

I think using existing tankage like you have is problematic for the reasons you suggest. Also consider how off balance the boat could get, and/or how much more frequently you will need to transfer fuel as your tanks get low if you are trying to keep them in balance.

I think it works best when you have at least one center line tank that can act as day tank. Or a pair that are balanced side to side that you draw down together (this is how I use mine).

As for fill ups, what we do is transfer to the "day" tank in advance of filling up so it's already full. Then we just need to fill the main tanks and aren't waiting for fuel to transfer.

There is another consideration for transfer speed. If you are running 24/7, you want the transfer to be a good bit faster than your burn rate. Otherwise you will find yourself transferring fuel a large % of the time.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #45

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Good discussion.
Alfamike,
I also have 5 tanks. I have been curious to try simultaneous multi tank supply. Do you find the fuel draw to be the same from, for example, 2 tanks if you are using them simultaneously or is there a disparity in fuel consumed from each tank?
Thanks,
-David
petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #46
FF
Guru

The hassle with multiple tank feeds is some diesels return a lot of fuel, and you dont know where its going.

A small tank can be filled till the fuel vents from the air vent, much ungood.

Tanks used individually can help trim the vessel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #47

City: Hitchcock
I have a 200 gal day tank and love it most of the time. It is gravity fed via port or stbd wing tanks. Just don't let the mom adorable distract you when transferring fuel or you will over fill...

captBrett is offline   Reply With Quote