Dauntless crosses the Columbia River Bar at Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
There are a few videos I have uploaded to YOU TUBE on my trip north from San Francisco Bay to Alaska this past summer.
The plan will be to get them all uploaded for this trip, then go back and get 2017, 2016, etc done.

The most recent upload takes place all at night, so it only shows the Coastal Explorer navigation chart and our conversation as we navigate up river to the marina in Astoria.

There is an edited 13 minute version and two full length versions of about 45 minutes each

It takes place at night. So, there is no footage outside, this is all video of the Coastal Explorer navigation chart and later, also the radar.
The conditions of the Columbia bar were 3 to 4 feet waves, with winds from the NW, blowing almost perpendicular to the channel.
This was difficult because all passages at night with busy traffic in restricted traffic lanes are difficult. One must understand what the radar and the navigation chart tells them at all times. Many times, one must disbelieve what they think they see and have faith in what our equipment is tell us. In particular it is very difficult to judge distance by eye at night. Large ships and objects always look much closer than they actually are (at least to me!).

Other than some annotations to explain what we are seeing on the chart and radar, this is the original sound track, so you can hear John and I discussing our transit as we go along until we dock.

This is work in progress and making a video was not my first priority, so ...:dance:

https://youtu.be/2T7DErtPgxM

Nice video. Just curious about why you chose Astoria vs Ilwaco which is right inside the mouth of the river.

Nice video. Just curious about why you chose Astoria vs Ilwaco which is right inside the mouth of the river.

It had to do with the distance to Englund Marine Supply. I wanted to be close them them. But I also thought Astoria would be more compact.

I got my original paravane birds from this Englung store 6 years ago (they sent them to me in Miami and Rhode Island), so I wanted to close the circle and visit the store in-person.

It's a fabulous store. Best prices I have ever seen anyplace. :dance:
I should have gotten more fishing gear for Alaska.

BTW, while this passage thru the bar was non-eventful, the outgoing passage was anything but. That will be uploaded this week.

Back
Top Bottom