Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #281
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I just looked at his position. I'd recommend either St Johns (USVI) or Guadeloupe. Both should be hassle free.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #282
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I just looked at his position. I'd recommend either St Johns (USVI) or Guadeloupe. Both should be hassle free.
St. John's used to have the cheapest fuel too.

But I believe they closed the refinery.

He says he'll end up with 150 gallons on board once he arrives, so he can go pretty much wherever he wants to get fuel after he clears in somewhere.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #283
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Anyone who is communicating with Richard, marinas are in short supply (winter and Christmas). St John's has a couple hundred moorings. He can just grab one and call his arrival in. He'll be told where to go. Guadeloupe; he can anchor and wait till he's rested up and check in. They don't care. The last time we checked in was at an internet café. We never had to see anyone wearing epaulettes.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #284

City: Camarillo
Post Arrival point change - assistance requested for recommendations.

Just chatted with Richard, here is what he said -- my summary & words to make complete sentences ......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
"I expect to arrive with 150 Gal remaining." So fuel all ok.

Due to the seas & weather we are being pushed more west & north than the south heading we wanted to take & that we originally planned.

So now my original destination of the most eastern island in the Windward islands of Barbados is out of the mix. So being pushed up more toward the Leeward islands than we wanted.

Right now with seas & weather as it is, I don't think I can landfall south of Martinique & not north of Antigua.

If I tried to continue south to Grenadines direct it adds 230 NM, fuel concerns & Plus time & I want to be in Panama Canal by mid Feb.

Keeping in mind that wanted route after landfall & refuel & replenish stores is to head south to Grenadines for 2 weeks & then to Granada & ABC Isl & head from there west to Panama Canal. So US & BR Virgin Islands are a bit to far north than I want to go at this time.

Looking at Antigua now as it is same distance as Barbados from current location & may be more interesting for me, but concerned about the cruising permit fees, etc. - Can some one research that fees & expenses issue for me ? some are $ 10 & other are $ 300 ! -- Info Should be available on cruisers web site called :
" Noonsite.com ". Full of cheap sailors like me.

Don't know for sure for this time of year, but there is some concern that these same winds & seas & currents currently experiencing are also in the Caribbean, so would still have some issues going south west. Don't like bashing.

New Plan - What ever Isl. we land fall at, then south to Grenadines 2 weeks, then Grenada, Bonair, Cur, Aruba, etc. & maybe Columbia & then Colon @ Panama Canal.

Any known recommendations to save in expense and ease if entry along with anything that is preferable for our needs info is welcomed.

Richard Bost
Dauntless

alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #285
Guru

"Don't know for sure for this time of year, but there is some concern that these same winds & seas & currents currently experiencing are also in the Caribbean, so would still have some issue"

I thought he was a trained meteorologist?

And yes, those winds extended down into the Caribbean.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0116.jpg  
Old 12-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #286
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Curently sending him info about fees on different islands.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #287

Ck in Fees & cruising permit fees & check in procedures

Thanks Lou.
I have not been in to those southern windward & eastern leeward islands except for the more north west US & BR Virgin islands .
Glad you can help him out.
Sounds like Martinique Isl. is best N - S location wise & Guadeloupe Island looks like good back up as possible good candidates. maybe UK managed Dominica Isl. is a good back up to them.
What do the Check in & cruise permit fees & fuel costs look like for these islands ?
Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #288
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It's pretty simple, pick the closest island on the course the boats happiest at and head for it. Clear in, get some rest and then move from there.
100% agree. Now isn't the time to risk running out of fuel or other issues over passing the most convenient port by to try to find something cheaper.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #289
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
Thanks Lou.
I have not been in to those southern windward & eastern leeward islands except for the more north west US & BR Virgin islands .
Glad you can help him out.
Sounds like Martinique Isl. is best N - S location wise & Guadeloupe Island looks like good back up as possible good candidates. maybe UK managed Dominica Isl. is a good back up to them.
What do the Check in & cruise permit fees & fuel costs look like for these islands ?
Thanks.

Mike
It's obviously hard to extend his trajectory, but it sure looks to me like if he doesn't retake control of his path and lets it continue as it's been heading he could end up north of even the BVI and then he would have a problem making landfall. My only advice to him right now would be to head to the nearest port from where he is. First one he can get into, go into. I'd go to the "Any port in a storm" view, except "Any Port when exhausted, off course, and low on fuel." He can't continue to let the winds push him further north though.

Does the person with him have any experience?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #290
Guru

I sent him a bunch of info about fees on islands from BVI to Martinica. French territories have the benefit to not require cruise permit, on the other hand fuel rate may be higher then in place like puerto rico because of French taxes and as it is in euros. I asked him to see what would be his top choice so I can find him more info. I did not went to all islands but a bunch there (mainly for scuba diving and not by boat) and Martinique is one of my top place. He will be able to find everything there and if he wants to stays some days he will have tons of things to visit.
On the opposite islands like Saba or Statia (st eustasius) are very nice but there is pretty much nothing there except diving, and if he needs anything for his boat it will be hard to get in these places.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #291

Woke up with a Bang ! What was that noise !

Richard was sleeping & was suddenly awoken by the sound of a loud BANG !
Ut Oh .... Preventer pole to Para-vane broke.
No one hurt. It is middle of the night & pitch black night.
Just bad luck of the item breaking.
Had to change course to 275 degrees due to sea conditions.
On top of that winds are now creating large steep seas on Port beam along with South east winds & are pushing him more north & wind blowing at 30 Knots - from 120 degrees.
We are all traveling with him.

m.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #292
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I sent him a bunch of info about fees on islands from BVI to Martinica. French territories have the benefit to not require cruise permit, on the other hand fuel rate may be higher then in place like puerto rico because of French taxes and as it is in euros. I asked him to see what would be his top choice so I can find him more info. I did not went to all islands but a bunch there (mainly for scuba diving and not by boat) and Martinique is one of my top place. He will be able to find everything there and if he wants to stays some days he will have tons of things to visit.
On the opposite islands like Saba or Statia (st eustasius) are very nice but there is pretty much nothing there except diving, and if he needs anything for his boat it will be hard to get in these places.
He's not seriously still worried about the cost of landfall at this point is he?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #293
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
Just bad luck of the item breaking.
I think that judgement is yet to be determined.

Is this what broke on the last crossing?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #294

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Active captain shows Antigua has duty free fuel but no price.
St Johns USVI has cheapest fuel 3.18 gal Dec 9th
Puerto Rico is below 2.80 as of last week
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #295
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Bill, I think it was one of the main outrigger poles that broke on the way to Ireland.
I'm trying to picture what the preventer pole is. Someone please splane it to me.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #296
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I think that judgement is yet to be determined.

Is this what broke on the last crossing?
No, that was the first time he used this preventer pole.
Who is speaking of judgement, whatever happens, it is bad luck to see it happening at sea far from anywhere after 10 trouble free days.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #297
Guru

Does he have a current targeted destination? The most recent direction appears to have him north of any close land and closer to Cuba, which he doesn't have fuel to reach.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #298
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Does he have a current targeted destination? The most recent direction appears to have him north of any close land and closer to Cuba, which he doesn't have fuel to reach.
He's hoping for a break in the seas so he can go from w to more wsw or sw.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #299
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

Is the reason for not turning south because of the big seas and the subsequent roll? Are the Paravanes totally inop?

I'm just thinking that if I had to pick between excessive roll and not reaching my destination and running out of fuel, I would pick the roll. But I'm sure there's something I'm missing since I've never been out there on a big ocean for days, and I don't know what I'm talking about.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #300
Guru

Just got news. His issue is apparently repaired. For the heading, he is trying to keep following sea as much as possible so may decide later for the destination. I don't think fuel will be an issue as he is burning less than expected and should have good reserve.