Dauntless Crosses the Atlantic Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, very interesting following Richard. Makes me realize I have no business trying to make a big crossing. I don't have the weather skills, planning skills, helmsman skills. I'm a decent mechanic and can Macgyver stuff, but that's about it.

I think you could manage.

I just got word from Richard to thank everyone for their support. He said the last six hours were the roughest of the entire trip. He is in the lea of the island now so all is well. He also said for now on till the next leg the best way to reach him is text or email. It has been a pleasure to witness their crossing. They have to be so anxious to get docked.

He just sent me a video of a sailboat crossing in front of him clearing him by maybe 30 feet. He said welcome to France. Busy, crowded but may be fun. He has not had a boat close to him this entire trip so it was a.... were back moment...

He is almost there, a last effort and he will sleep during the 4 next day :)

Looks to be in the Harbor now, dang, not many parking spaces in there.

He told me he was doing circle in front of the fuel dock. Maybe the room was not ready yet and he was told to wait in the lobby :)

I couldn't correlate this sentence, "It's also confirmed be on 2014 crossing,* sight tubes became useful after the 5th day and by the end of the 9th day, I'd used 400 gal! Vice 150" with what he's saying. Obviously he doesn't have floscan as someone thought he did earlier. I wish he had a means of accurately measuring his use. I'd like to hear how many nm he's covered and how many gallons he thinks he's used, but if he's doing 5.72 knots at 0.65 gal/hr then that's 8.8 nmpg and that just doesn't sound logical. If he's gone 9 days at 1.1 gal/hr that would be 5.2 nmpg which is still amazing. But if that were true, then at the end of 9 days he would have used 237 gallons, not 140. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Yes. Both you and PS are right, though there is contradictory information.

When I refill, I'll recheck my curves.
Though it's hard to believe they are significantly incorrect as i check them every time I refill.

The conflicting info is for 8 day vs 5 day
I'm not sure how that can be wrong. Though it could be as simple as increased rolling

However, upon arrival I have110 gal fuel remaining, 1.23 gal/hr for the passage.

Which by the way was just below my planning figure of 1.3g/hr

The speed for the first two weeks was abnormally high. With both Paravanes deployed, As t 1500 rpms, we were doing at least 1 knot faster than normal.
Also, it seemed yo me thst fuel consumption did go up the last two weeks.

I simply don't have an answer for that.

Oh, I didn't want to worry anyone, so I never mentioned the fuel leak for the first week. The stbd tank should have about 30 more gallons of fuel thrn it does.
Another mystery that will be investigated sooner or later. Though I am pretty sure know.

Welcome back among us Richard and congratulation for this passage, this was a well done adventure.
One question though, what will keep me awake in the middle of the night now that you have landed!

Congratulations Richard on a great adventure and thanks for letting us follow along.......:thumb::dance:

Congrats! Any videos of the big following seas?

Well done! I imagine the scent of land would be almost overwhelming?

Glad you safely on the left side of the Atlantic again!

Thanks for letting us tag along vicariously.

He arrived

Richard - Congrats.

Job well done.

What an accomplishment.

Send us your direct e-mail if you can.

thanks.

Alfa Mike

Remember, he did it solo in the opposite direction.

Not so. Two of us did 2000m, I did 1000 solo.

Actually I'm happy with 2, though I do think the ideal combo is one couple and one single.

Now, I'm not sure what you all think we do all day, but the biggest issue is not sleep, it's boredom.

With 2, we split the day that best eotks for our sleep patterns.
I know i need 6 hrs sleep per day. Micah needs about 12, which is fine, as he is more flexible about it.

Well done! I imagine the scent of land would be almost overwhelming?

Unpleasant.
On the other hand, it like such a pleasure to be sitting on a boat that's not bouncing all over the place.

While we are waiting to dock.
Let me give you some quick impressions:

Crossing oceans, with no traffic, no nothing, is much LESS stressful than coastal cruising.

I didn't increase rpms to 1600 until day 16. At that point, I kept hearing noises until I finally realized it was just normal 1600 noise.

Fuel st 1.23 g/hr is Exactly What I Expected. Even with the fuel leak.
Had i needed to, I could reduce that consumption diwn to 1 gal/hr at 4.5 knots gives you a range of 4500nm.
It's not rocket science.
Nuff said

I did not expect 26 of 26 days to be windy snd rough, maybe half, hopefully 25%, but never dreamed it would be 100%, 20+ winds, 10 to 15' seas 24/7

Now, fyi, had we even had to spend ONE day heading into such seas. It would have been impossible, as we'd be going backwards.

Spent minimal time on provisioning, it was time well spent. Meaning it was 3 weeks not 3 years.

I can not imagine doing this with an engine that was high strung.

You have to believethe boat can handle ANYTHING, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT CONFIDENCE, YOU WILL DIE OF fear snd worry before you arrive.

Feel free to write or text

Richard on Dauntless in Martinique

I did not expect 26 of 26 days to be windy snd rough, maybe half, hopefully 25%, but never dreamed it would be 100%, 20+ winds, 10 to 15' seas 24/7

Now, fyi, had we even had to spend ONE day heading into such seas. It would have been impossible, as we'd be going backwards.

This comment is interesting. Was there no chance the winds and seas could have shifted so they were on the bow for a few days? If that happened what would you do?

This comment is interesting. Was there no chance the winds and seas could have shifted so they were on the bow for a few days? If that happened what would you do?

I'm not quite sure how he could not have know it was going to be windy and rough?

It was December in the Atlantic. The winds for that time of year are pretty well known and predictable.

They are called the "Trade Winds" & known as the "Christmas Winds" in the Carribean because they usually come on and start blowing steady in December.

"The trade winds are the prevailing pattern of easterly surface winds found in the tropics, within the lower portion of the Earth's atmosphere, in the lower section of the troposphere near the Earth's equator. The trade winds blow predominantly from the northeast in the Northern Hemisphere and from the southeast in the Southern Hemisphere, strengthening during the winter and when the Arctic oscillation is in its warm phase."

So they pretty much predictably blow in the same direction this time of year? So not much chance of big head seas?

So they pretty much predictably blow in the same direction this time of year? So not much chance of big head seas?

Correct.

It's what can make slogging around the Carribean in the winter in a power boat such a PITA.

Now if your coming back from say Panama to the eastern Caribbean, then you can face good sized head seas.

Congratulations Richard! Job well done!

Ted

I bet I know of two people that are getting some sleep....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom