Dashew fpb 64

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ess & Steve Dashew - two peas in a pod! Twin brothers from different parents!

Curious about your comment on there being a good chance of being caught in a storm. Sailing magazines love to interview circumnavigators. Invariably, they ask the worst weather they encountered.

Here's an example from Sail Magazine

"Were you caught in many storms?
This is the number one 1 question, and the answer is, no. We paid attention to the seasons and made our big passages when the weather was apt to be most favorable. Most of our sailing was off the wind in good tradewind conditions. We experienced plenty of squalls over the years, but those passed quickly and were easily dealt with.

I'm not saying there are no storms, but am saying if you have knowledge and patience, you can dramatically reduce your exposure.

Peter

Yeah, lots of mocking for being like Dashew. But why even mention guys who stick to tradewind areas when I said high latidudes? When i see threads on millpond boats, I dont bother with those.

We're just like him. And like him we know that IF youre going to sea, THEN, theres a good chance of being caught in storms. We see such testimony every day. And like him, we prefer boats.....just like his. And who would have ever though we'd take so much flak for that! Its amazing.

If you don't pay attention to weather you are likely correct

Sure glad i never said i wouldnt pay attention to weather. I said i was like Dashew, who does, and STILL wants a sturdy boat.

You said there was a GOOD chance you would be caught in storms.
To me that says you aren't paying attention.

Either that or you choose to be out in areas that are continually stormy.

But you haven't said anything yet about prior experience, intended use or cruising grounds that I have seen, perhaps I missed it?

Last edited:
You said there was a GOOD chance you would be caught in storms.
To me that says you aren't paying attention.

Either that or you choose to be out in areas that are continually stormy.

But you haven't said anything yet about prior experience, intended use or cruising grounds that I have seen, perhaps I missed it?

Not sure what the odds makers would give on say...10 years high latitudes, and hitting a storm. But then again, yourexoff topic, This thread is for those....like Dashew, who do. And like him , we want a sturdy boat.

Are you actually cruising high latitudes yes or no?

I already said we dont have the boat yet, so that means, no. But my queries and points are about it, NOT other topics like doing the great loop, or kayaking, or coastal party boats. etc. So do you know what oddsmakers would give you on being caught out in a storm in 10 years cruising the world, much in high latitudes? So if my thread is about sturdy boats for high latitudes, why would anybody mention anything else?

Actually, while I've never had the pleasure of meeting the Dashews, I've followed them for almost 30-years. They build a high quality boat, but that's not their primary design criteria. Back in the late 70's and into the 80's, the Westsail 32 was considered a prime example of a cruising sailboat. It had very good specifications, even survived the Perfect Storm where the Andrea Gale was lost. Stout little boat.

Along comes Dashew and a few others who said "Why survive weather when you can avoid it? Why not build a fast cruiser that sails well and can be easily handled by a couple?" Dashew preached that the traditional measures of seaworthiness - S/A S/D ratios and such were meaningless on a larger boat - it was blasphemous. But it caught on well with his legendary Deerfoot line routinely doing 250 nm days on long stretches. So followed the FPB - a variation of the same theme - go fast, go light, go long, avoid weather.

David, I appreciate your passion, but you've missed the mark on the FPB. My guess is Dashew would be aghast if he read your review of his boat.

Peter

I already said we dont have the boat yet, so that means, no. But my queries and points are about it, NOT other topics like doing the great loop, or kayaking, or coastal party boats. etc. So do you know what oddsmakers would give you on being caught out in a storm in 10 years cruising the world,much in high latitudes? So if my thread is about sturdy boats for high latitudes, why would anybody mention anything else?

I thought you were going to take 19-days to do the Northwest Passage? No stops on land or icebergs, avoid all the Inuit pirates and such, no?

Jeez, what did I miss?

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, while I've never had the pleasure of meeting the Dashews, I've followed them for almost 30-years. They build a high quality boat, but that's not their primary design criteria. Back in the late 70's and into the 80's, the Westsail 32 was considered a prime example of a cruising sailboat. It had very good specifications, even survived the Perfect Storm where the Andrea Gale was lost. Stout little boat.

Along comes Dashew and a few others who said "Why survive weather when you can avoid it? Why not build a fast cruiser that sails well and can be easily handled by a couple?" Dashew preached that the traditional measures of seaworthiness - S/A S/D ratios and such were meaningless on a larger boat - it was blasphemous. But it caught on well with his legendary Deerfoot line routinely doing 250 nm days on long stretches. So followed the FPB - a variation of the same theme - go fast, go light, go long, avoid weather.

David, I appreciate your passion, but you've missed the mark on the FPB. My guess is Dashew would be aghast if he read your review of his boat.

Peter

Ill bet he would be pleased that i like his boats, and the fpb 64 is on our shortlist. And we probably wont even go its top speed , that really fast 11knts. We like 5 or 6.

Top Speed 10.5 knots
Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM

So if my thread is about sturdy boats for high latitudes, why would anybody mention anything else?

Because you have not said if you intend on cruising these grounds permanently.

Seems a bit pointless to me getting all that extra coin together and wasting all those years to get something suited to the 0.5% of times and not what you "actually" use it for 99.5% of the time.
I cruise an area that has Cyclones and plan on getting to one that has tidal waves, but sure as hell don't want a boat that is built to survive them on a daily basis, it'd cost millions and 99.9% of the time would be a less than satisfactory vessel.

Its like working a lifetime for an $8mill Abrams tank to got to the beach on the off chance there will be a war when the old corolla actually does the intended job better and can be bought from change found behind the couch.

Last edited:
Because you have not said if you intend on cruising these grounds permanently.

Seems a bit pointless to me getting all that extra coin together and wasting all those years to get something suited to the 0.5% of times and not what you "actually" use it for 99.5% of the time.

Its like working a lifetime for an $8mill Abrams tank to got to the beach in on the off chance there will be a war when the old corolla actually does the intended job better and can be bought from change found behind the couch.

You made a false assumption when you said, "0.5% of the time". When I say we're gearing up for, planning for , intending , etc. its irrelevant what exact percentage that would be. It's irrelevant anyway what we want to spend our own money on. Its very charming that so many are concerned about a factor I never even mentioned, and has nothing to do with the thread.

Ill bet he would be pleased that i like his boats, and the fpb 64 is on our shortlist. And we probably wont even go its top speed , that really fast 11knts. We like 5 or 6.

Top Speed 10.5 knots
Approximate Range 9.0 knots – 6400 NM
9.5 knots – 5500 NM
He'd be pleased you plan on running at 5-6 kts?

So what boat do you have you owned where you now know 5-6 kts is a speed you like? Any passages under your belt (as if I didn't know the answer.....)

Last edited:
You made a false assumption when you said, "0.5% of the time". When I say we're gearing up for, planning for , intending , etc. its irrelevant what exact percentage that would be..

Forever the pedant :rolleyes:

Its very charming that so many are concerned about a factor I never even mentioned, and has nothing to do with the thread.

I'm sure we've all started threads and then found that everyone else won't "stick to the topic." Sometimes they answer as if they have not even bothered to read the initial post. But that's just the way it goes on a free message board where contributors aren't being paid. And, unless a person knows it all (some may; I don't), those "disobedient" contributors often add something useful that one hasn't thought of. Or perhaps a tangent leads to something useful. There are some experienced, thoughtful boaters here.

Or, sometimes a reply may not directly benefit the OP, but may benefit a future reader (or someone reading now who is not the OP). I figure that's a good thing.

Since your OP asked if anyone has had an FPB, it's not likely you would have received many (any?) replies if only those people had answered (emboldening mine):

Lately we've been looking at these Dashew boats, the 64 is the smallest of them...Does anyone have one, or has had?

I don't think it's a super common boat here on TF. So I guess everyone else could just not have contributed at all and let the thread sit idle. Maybe the mods know of a way you could limit replies to only certain people (current or former FPB owners).

Now if I made an appointment with a paid consultant to talk about one specific thing, and instead they started bringing up family vacation slides from the 70's, I think I'd be rightly annoyed. But this is free TF.

Last edited:
I'm sure we've all started threads and then found that everyone else won't "stick to the topic." Sometimes they answer as if they have not even bothered to read the initial post. But that's just the way it goes on a free message board where contributors aren't being paid. And, unless a person knows it all (some may; I don't), those "disobedient" contributors often add something useful that one hasn't thought of. Or perhaps a tangent leads to something useful. There are some experienced, thoughtful boaters here.

Or, sometimes a reply may not directly benefit the OP, but may benefit a future reader (or someone reading now who is not the OP). I figure that's a good thing.

Since your OP asked if anyone has had an FPB, it's not likely you would have received many (any?) replies if only those people had answered (emboldening mine):

I don't think it's a super common boat here on TF. So I guess everyone else could just not have contributed at all and let the thread sit idle. Maybe the mods know of a way you could limit replies to only certain people (current or former FPB owners).

Now if I made an appointment with a paid consultant to talk about one specific thing, and instead they started bringing up family vacation slides from the 70's, I think I'd be rightly annoyed. But this is free TF.

There's a lot to that. In fact somewhere I mentioned that I should have submitted to a say...high latitudes forum, or such, thus hopefully eliminating about.....most of the comments.

:thumb: If, as it seems,there are none, the proper course was not responding. Thereby avoiding the mess above.

I should have submitted to a say...high latitudes forum, or such, thus hopefully eliminating...most of the comments.

Maybe the mods could add a "high latitudes" sub-forum, and limit it only to those with proper credentials.

Or, barring that, you could request that people not reply unless they have those credentials.

Another way that seems to be effective (not as good as the first two, but still better than nothing) is if the OP ignores any replies that don't meet his or her standards. Then they tend to peter out. When the OP engages, it tends to egg on the unwashed masses and they just keep posting.

Last edited:
BruceK....good point. I was thinkinking that in my next OP Ill ignore the off topic and frivolous comments.

BruceK....good point. I was thinkinking that in my next OP Ill ignore the off topic and frivolous comments.
What is your expectation? What are you trying to get out of TF? How can we help? Perhaps it's not intentional, but it seems you start a highly slanted and opinionated conversation then get disappointed when no one fawns over you. Are you seeking knowledge, or just a forum to pontificate? If so, no responses needed.

Seriously, what would you have of people?

What is your expectation? What are you trying to get out of TF? How can we help? Perhaps it's not intentional, but it seems you start a highly slanted and opinionated conversation then get disappointed when no one fawns over you. Are you seeking knowledge, or just a forum to pontificate? If so, no responses needed.

Seriously, what would you have of people?

For sure, my expectations perhaps are unrealistically high. Ive already mentioned that I expect people to address the topic of an OP.....that they address the points made, instead of the person making them...that they dont try to mind read then make false assumptions....that they answer questions about their comments......that they refrain from asking me irrelevant questions. Thats just a short list. So in my next OP if I say for example that I like boats that can be plopped on the gravel/mud at low tide, as many can, and somebody responds with a comment that most people he knows dont ....then ill ignore him. Or if somebody says that a boat that me and my partners is no good, because HE cant afford it...ill ignore him.

I think you may have opened your own door. Many of the points you made were, in many people's opinion, just plain wrong. For example, early in the thread you stated the FPB were not known as fast boats but safe ones. According to Dashew, they are safe because they are fast. That was a #1 design criteria for him just as it was for their Deerfoot sailboats.

Your OP was phrased as a question - does anyone have a FPB 64. The answer is no. A few casual glances, but that's it. Instead of leaving it there, you made statements about how it's the best boat on the planet and inferred that anyone who would settle for anything less is a fool.

Look David, and I mean this in the kindest and most loving manner. Your knowledge on boats has no practical basis. That's fine. We all start somewhere. Beebe was hugely influential for me 30+ years ago and inspired an enthusiasm that led me to a successful career as a delivery skipper for several years. But you come off as a total know it all, that anyone ah doesn't agree with you must be wrong. You'll take a lot of shrapnel with that type of attitude.

But I'm guessing I'm not the first to tell you this. A little more honey, bit less vinegar will go a long way, though assumes you have a thirst for knowledge versus self gratification.

Peter

I think you may have opened your own door. Many of the points you made were, in many people's opinion, just plain wrong. For example, early in the thread you stated the FPB were not known as fast boats but safe ones. According to Dashew, they are safe because they are fast. That was a #1 design criteria for him just as it was for their Deerfoot sailboats.

Your OP was phrased as a question - does anyone have a FPB 64. The answer is no. A few casual glances, but that's it. Instead of leaving it there, you made statements about how it's the best boat on the planet and inferred that anyone who would settle for anything less is a fool.

Look David, and I mean this in the kindest and most loving manner. Your knowledge on boats has no practical basis. That's fine. We all start somewhere. Beebe was hugely influential for me 30+ years ago and inspired an enthusiasm that led me to a successful career as a delivery skipper for several years. But you come off as a total know it all, that anyone ah doesn't agree with you must be wrong. You'll take a lot of shrapnel with that type of attitude.

But I'm guessing I'm not the first to tell you this. A little more honey, bit less vinegar will go a long way, though assumes you have a thirst for knowledge versus self gratification.

Peter

Yeah, I said I didnt consider that 11knts as fast, or a performance boat. Then, that none others have had one, and many objections were that since they cant afford one, the standards are too high. Ill keep that all in mind.

Yeah, I said I didnt consider that 11knts as fast, or a performance boat. Then, that none others have had one, and many objections were that since they cant afford one, the standards are too high. Ill keep that all in mind.
Amazing. Ridiculing people who actually own a boat for not choosing the boat you want but don't own. For some, it may not be an affordability issue, rather the FPB doesn't suit them.

Now that's chutzpah

Amazing. Ridiculing people who actually own a boat for not choosing the boat you want but don't own. For some, it may not be an affordability issue, rather the FPB doesn'

Arent you the guy who just admitted he's out to bait people he considers "easy marks"? This is a yes/no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom