Dashew fpb 64

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...its not just a matter of ..."feeling" sage, but ...KNOWING your boat is of the safest out there..

I guess it's partially dependent on your choice of cruising grounds: the Dashews love the South Pacific, with wonderful areas separated by big stretches of not always pacific ocean and with the nearest first-world bases (Australia, New Zealand) only reachable through treacherous stretches of ocean.

All waters can be treacherous in bad weather
They can also be glassy calm
Timing is the key IMHO.

For me, in that budget, something like Sher Khan is the better boat by far

Plenty of comfortable , stable, shaded living space
Twin Gardeners, not that they'd necessarily be my first choice
And 10,000 mm range @ 10 knots

Large power cats can handle the rough just fine.

ad-assets%2F8a01d351-1d5f-4bbd-baaf-ba47e7ff4e5b-xlg%2F8a01d351-1d5f-4bbd-baaf-ba47e7ff4e5b-xlg.jpg

https://www.boattrader.com.au/boats-for-sale/wave-piercing-catamaran-22-5m/BTFD3606049

Simi 60....its not clear to me why those few attributes you mention of it make the Sher Khan a " far better boat" I'm not too familiar with it though. Is its alu hull also 1/2 inch thick? Windows 3/4 thick? The 4 steering methods of the Dershew FPBs, etc . I'll check it out.

As seen in Ensenada a few weeks ago.
They are incredible in person.

Attachments

• C35F3915-7A79-43AA-B6B9-EEBC72ECB957.jpg
    C35F3915-7A79-43AA-B6B9-EEBC72ECB957.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 55
Simi 60....its not clear to me why those few attributes you mention of it make the Sher Khan a " far better boat" I'm not too familiar with it though. Is its alu hull also 1/2 inch thick? Windows 3/4 thick? The 4 steering methods of the Dershew FPBs, etc . I'll check it out.
Far better boat for me, was what I said.

1/2 inch thick hull plating, most likely given her size and intended usage
Windows 3/4 inch thick? She's not a submarine like the fpb, windows a a lot further up so not required, but who knows, maybe they are.
Twin engines spaced wide distance apart arguably gives her fantastic steering even without a wheel or rudders.

Read more about her here
Sher Khan

She is built to Det Norske Veritas and Uniform Shipping Law code so clearly built well.
She was also done for a guy working where I did my apprenticeship at building Aluminium superyachts, so I would like to think he picked up a few things along the way.
He has worked many large commercial vessels over the years prior to this build.

Last edited:
Yes...its not just a matter of ..."feeling" sage, but ...KNOWING your boat is of the safest out there..

I don't buy that it's safer than some other ocean going boats. Faster, yes, so you can get the passage over sooner.

In fact the FPBs are NOT really known as fast performance boats, but as really SAFE ones.

Simi 60....so ot sounds like what you really mean is that you simply LIKE the Sher Khan better. And do we know if the FPBs would also meet those Norsk standards? I'll bet they would.

Simi 60....so ot sounds like what you really mean is that you simply LIKE the Sher Khan better.

Like has little to do with it
I said and I will repeat it, "For me, in that budget, something like Sher Khan is the better boat by far" for many reasons.

And do we know if the FPBs would also meet those Norsk standards? I'll bet they would.
I never said they wouldn't and to me it matters not if they do as they are not a vessel that interests me greatly at that pricepoint.
For me, there are far better boats out there.

Last edited:
Simi 60...performance was mentioned, by twisted tree. But no problem...you just plain 'like' that catamaran.

The FPBs are capable of crossing an ocean at higher speeds than many other boats and they're meant to do it safely and comfortably in worse weather than most. But at the same time, most people don't need the level of capability they have, even for crossing oceans. It's a limited group of people that want to travel in ways where that capability is more than a minor "nice to have".

Dashew wrote a most informative treatise on heavy weather techniques for his boats. Many of these are somewhat different than those proposed for other vessels. Available videos of his designs in such circumstances are most compelling in demonstrating their capabilities. It’s unfortunate he has retired from design and overseeing new boat construction. I would be most interested in seeing how his thinking has evolved.
There are several NAs who continue to explore his line of thinking in smaller sizes, more affordable and with integration of current technologies. Dennis Harjamaa Artnautica designs are a prime example. They are self righting, have transpacific range, much less expensive annual budget, suitable to a cruising couple, powered by 70-110 simple engines and suitable to tropical or high lat operations. If I had available funds the 58 or 64 would be my choice over a older FPB. Would choose NZ build over Dutch. But wife wants to do French canals and eastern Med.

It’s unfortunate he has retired from design and overseeing new boat construction. I would be most interested in seeing how his thinking has evolved.

At this point, I'm curious to see what's next for the Dashews (if anything). I noticed today that they had posted a note on their blog in November indicating they've sold Cochise, their FPB 78.

Not an FPB, but an Artnautica design from naval architect Dennis Harjamaa. Mobius recently splashed, sort of.

https://mobius.world/blog/

Last edited:
The FPBs are capable of crossing an ocean at higher speeds than many other boats and they're meant to do it safely and comfortably in worse weather than most. But at the same time, most people don't need the level of capability they have, even for crossing oceans. It's a limited group of people that want to travel in ways where that capability is more than a minor "nice to have".

Fair enough....and I'm one of those who wants to be able to say that my boat is safer than most others. I also like the Cape Horn trawlers for that too.

At this point, I'm curious to see what's next for the Dashews (if anything). I noticed today that they had posted a note on their blog in November indicating they've sold Cochise, their FPB 78.

They're old and maybe want to sing it up. Likely other capable custom yards could build them, or similar ones up to the same high standards

Post coming later, apologies

Simi 60...performance was mentioned, by twisted tree. But no problem...you just plain 'like' that catamaran.

Fast was mentioned by TT, performance was not.

Fast performance boat to me has images of some sort of racer, drug runners boat.

Dashews are not that, they are a boat that does faster than average passage times.

And no I don't just plain like that catamaran at all.
For me it is a far more practical and user friendly vessel than the fpb.
It is a decision or choice based on logic, not emotion.

Last edited:
Found 4 of them last May at Triton Marine/Jarrett Bay NC. Sorry for the long range pic. I was trying to get all 4 in the frame.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0253 (002).JPG
    IMG_0253 (002).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 46
...and I'm one of those who wants to be able to say that my boat is safer than most others.

For ocean crossings, I want a boat well proven at such a task. But I don't want to give up everything else to get it. Sail boat concepts evolved into power boat concepts, and power boats evolved into very comfortable daily living & cruising platforms. Just going back and reading Beebe from 50 years ago, a LOT has happened since then. In evolving to greater comfort, some (most) of those power boats have lost their ocean crossing capabilities, but a number have retained it as a must-have part of their DNA.

To me, the FPBs still have way too much "sail boat" in them, i.e. compromises on space, comfort, natural interior light, visibility, pilot houses, tender with davit, etc. Basically all the things that have evolved into a modern ocean crossing power boat.

Is an FPB able to get through and out of bad seas faster? Absolutely. Is it more comfortable in those seas? Maybe. Everyone says their boat is better, and very, very few people have been in enough to actually compare. I'm sure not one of them. Are you more likely to be lost at sea in a Nordhavn or similar vs an FPB? I rather doubt it.

So for me, I'll take the added daily comfort of a more traditional modern ocean crosser, instead of faster passages with an FPB.

Fast was mentioned by TT, performance was not.

Fast performance boat to me has images of some sort of racer, drug runners boat.

Dashews are not that, they are a boat that does faster than average passage times.

And no I don't just plain like that catamaran at all.
For me it is a far more practical and user friendly vessel than the fpb.
It is a decision or choice based on logic, not emotion.

For me 'fast and performance ' are synonymous. And when someone says...."for me"...that's subjective, not logic. My criterion was just safety. BTW, did you ever find out how thick the hull and windows are?

For me 'fast and performance ' are synonymous. And when someone says...."for me"...that's subjective, not logic. My criterion was just safety. BTW, did you ever find out how thick the hull and windows are?

There are 2 kinds of fast getting confused here. There's "can achieve high speeds and handle well at those speeds", which does not describe the FPBs at all. Then there's "can maintain higher speeds than most in bad conditions", which is what the FPBs go for. In flat water, something like my boat will outrun an FPB by a long shot. But as conditions get worse, I'd be in survival mode before the FPB even has to think about slowing down.

I believe the hull is 12mm and the glass is 19mm.
Don

Triton was where those much older pics of Wind Horse were taken, so perhaps they have become known as the yard of choice for those. They do high quality work as well as allow DIY and outside contractors. A lot of steel and aluminum commercial boats are serviced there and next door as well.

There are 2 kinds of fast getting confused here. There's "can achieve high speeds and handle well at those speeds", which does not describe the FPBs at all. Then there's "can maintain higher speeds than most in bad conditions", which is what the FPBs go for. In flat water, something like my boat will outrun an FPB by a long shot. But as conditions get worse, I'd be in survival mode before the FPB even has to think about slowing down.

Fair enough, but terms like 'fast..outrun..performance..speed" etc were never even a consideration for me, but just the knowing that my boat is safer than most out there(to round the horn..MW Passage, etc.

So for me, I'll take the added daily comfort of a more traditional modern ocean crosser, instead of faster passages with an FPB.

And 99%+ of cruising style power boaters will agree with you.

There are however very accomplished blue water experienced sailing types who appreciate the ability to routinely and frequently do 300 nm per day passages but who no longer have the athleticism or enthusiasm for those endeavors. To these types the FPB offers more than adequate creature comforts, splendid in fact.

Dashew clearly stated nearly 20 years ago his goal was to design and sea trial an alternative to fast sail boats. In no way was he tying to compete with the slower types of cruising yachts such as Nordhavn, Northern Marine, Watson, etc. He had the money, skill and detailed design team that agreed with his targeted premise. Windhorse was born, and worked.

Given that a likely 90% plus of serious blue water journeys are done in sailing vessels, the FPB audience and capability was surprisingly large. Budget and free time winnowed down the eventual buyers. All this said, hats off to Steve and his wildly creative and successful father Stanley who set the bar in many areas for ingenuity.

Short of the US Navy and a tiny few racers who is doing 300nm days offshore ?

I would say this is laughable but am certainly open to being educated on who and how they are accomplishing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom