Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

City: Port Deposit, MD
Vessel Name: Grand Day Out
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Damp Rid Dessicant

Uhhttps://www.practical-sailor.com/bel...winter-storage

Above is a link about dessicant.

I just purchased a Grand Banks 36. This week I moved it up the bay in moderately rough weather. Lots of short duration quartering waves on the beam and stern..lots of rock, roll, and yaw.

Previous owners had placed 4 small containers of Damp Rid in plastic tubs..one in the flybridge locker. and three in the heads. I was not familiar with product..the tubs looked fairly new, so I gave them no thoughts.

Unknown to me, tubs had absorbed enough moisture that the tubs were just a liquid. And, the rough weather had upset the one in the flybridge locker.

We noticed two large wet spots on the teak deck next to the locker and liquid below on the dinghy cover and starboard grab handle. The liquid spots were not drying out and when I touched the grab handle, my hand was burned like I had put it in battery acid.

We quickly figured out the wet spots were from the Damp Rid spillage into the locker..and draining out thru drain holes in the locker...we flushed everything with water and then soap and water.

We then proceeded to rid the boat of Damp Rid and disposed all four tubs.

The linked article informs about this stuff. It absorbs moisture, but it turns to a dangerous corrosive liquid...and if tipped over can cause damage. Not recommended for boats and if used, the tubs should be removed within 60 days or before the crystal's turn to corrosive liquid.

Wish I had known...so I am sharing so someone else will not have the same headache. Pretty sure many have used the product without a problem..especially if they only you leave on board for a short time
but carrying an open container of hazardous corrosive liquid in a boat underway does seem dangerous.

Not sure what damage to the teak deck..so far, there are dark stains..hopefully I can restore teak so the dark spots go away. I am lucky that I had nothing stored in the locker.

stroutmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I use it over the winters, but I also tend to put them in buckets, etc so a leak is contained if it happens. I never have them on the boat during the season when a spill is likely though.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I simply will not use the stuff on my boat for the reasons you explained.

The few times I have used it the containers are always put into a bucket or H.D.dishpan.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #4

Calcium Chloride is a very effective dessicant, but the byproduct of the process is dangerous.

I know that now..

Wish I had known sooner.

I have used silica gel in my gun safe for years without troubles. And just heat it up to regenerate. Putting it in our oven does annoy the wife tho.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Congrats on your new baby. Sorry to hear about the mess. Thanks for the heads up.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I've got a tub of this stuff in a couple of my hanging lockers right now. I had no idea. THANK YOU for posting that!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

City: NYC, NY
Had no idea. Many thanks.
Now will be banned from the boat.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I had a similar experience when I first moved into my house. I found a tub of liquid Damp Rid in a closet. As I was taking it out some spilled on the wooden floor. No problem, I just wiped it up. A few hours later the spot was wet again. This went on for several days with out any change. I finally cut that section of floor out and replaced it.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
That's exactly why we have about 15 of these strategically placed all over our boat: https://www.pacificnwboatertested.co...t-space-dryers
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #10

https://sciencing.com/mix-calcium-ch...r-7447614.html

Above link is article about dissolved calcium chloride which produces hydrochloric acid. So I guess if you do store it in buckets, or use buckets to protect against spills, they should be plastic buckets. Not metal ones.

Searching for ways to remove spills/stains from wood.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I used to use Damp Rid but stopped for the reasons mentioned, as advised by the boatyard I use. I now use a compressor-type dehumidifier. Another thing to avoid is dumping the Damp Rid discharge water down a sink and into your boat's plumbing, based on its corrosiveness.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

https://ask.metafilter.com/326113/Cl...liquid-on-tile

Link above to discussion about removing "oily residue" stains on wood from Damp Rid....lots of hot water..lots.

I agree that "mechanical dehumidification" is probably best solution for boat. If boat is in water with a reverse cycle heating, a poor man's method is to turn heat on, followed by AC..basically doing what a dehumidifier does.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. IF in fact the end product of this Damp-rid stuff is HCl, sprinkle some baking soda on the stain and dampen it. This should neutralize any residual acid and may help the stain,.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
Guru

Even the little Peltier Effect dehumidifiers are more effective than a Damp Rid. I used one to drop the humidity in Possums’ cabin from 80% down to close to 60%. Completely eliminated my mildew problem.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Even the little Peltier Effect dehumidifiers are more effective than a Damp Rid. I used one to drop the humidity in Possums’ cabin from 80% down to close to 60%. Completely eliminated my mildew problem.
I used a short piece of aquarium airline and a drill bit to make an automatic drain into the sink for my little dehumidifier. Now, it accumulates a cup of water and then builds enough hydrostatic pressure to drain out the hose and self-empty the tank into the sink. It empties itself every day or so, depending on the humidity, and keeps the RH down to about 55-60%

Back on the farm (in my early years), we used calcium chloride to fill tractor tires for additional weight and traction. Adding it to the tires was a day long process, and a pump would last about three tractors before we had to rebuild the pump or replace it. Not something I would want to mess with now, for sure.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I used a short piece of aquarium airline and a drill bit to make an automatic drain into the sink for my little dehumidifier. Now, it accumulates a cup of water and then builds enough hydrostatic pressure to drain out the hose and self-empty the tank into the sink. It empties itself every day or so, depending on the humidity, and keeps the RH down to about 55-60%
Thatís exactly what I did. Worked great.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #17

After soaking with Dawn dishwashing liquid, then rinsing...and later applied baking soda on stained area, wetted and rubbed in, let set, then rinsed with lots of water. Stain is significantly reduced and teak no longer showing that oily residue, but teak still slightly darkened...not the weathered grey in those spots. Teak is probably not damaged, but the spots have been "treated" changing color back to more normal brownish tint.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Even the little Peltier Effect dehumidifiers are more effective than a Damp Rid. I used one to drop the humidity in Possumsí cabin from 80% down to close to 60%. Completely eliminated my mildew problem.
Is there one you would recommend? Are any 12 volt? I gotta get that stuff off my boat.

Thanks.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Parks...reviews on the internet say those units dont work well in very hot cabins....any advice....?

....I never have tried or used damp rid for several reasons.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Is there one you would recommend? Are any 12 volt? I gotta get that stuff off my boat.

Thanks.
BD
I donít know the actual voltage they run on. They come with a transformer in the power cord that drops the voltage. Probably converts it from ac to dc as well.