Damage concerns from Hurricane Ian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Circledog

Hello Everyone,
Hoping for some input. Our 1985 49’ Gulfstar MY was in the yard getting a bottom job in Fort Myers beach, when Ian hit. We were blown off our stands, and did take on some water. The water damage and bottom seemed minimal initially, but as time went on we have noticed more damage. The boat was being lifted by the crane today, and being placed back on the stands. We can hopefully see what the real damage is now. Here are my 2 main concerns.
1. The water intrusion we found we cleaned up immediately, threw out some area rugs and books. Then found either storm water or rain water seemed to be behind the wall paper, causing it to start to lift and grow mold behind it.
2. Damage to the running gear- We know the wind and waves were hitting the starboard side. What kind of pounding did the running gear take? The positive is it landed on gravel, so there was some give. The starboard rudder looks pushed up about 2-3”s. Would the struts, props, shafts and rudders all need to be replaced? Could that pounding have affected the engines/transmissions?

Just was hoping someone has some thoughts or insight on this.

Thanks for your input,
Paul

Attachments

• 4D762B0F-24C5-4563-8A3F-03DF163BD329.jpg
    4D762B0F-24C5-4563-8A3F-03DF163BD329.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 71
Two to three inches is a lot. I would be surprised if your shaft is still true. You need to get a qualified mechanic or surveyor to come take a look and some measurements.

Good Luck

pete

Maybe not all needs to be replaced, possibly a realignment and trueing.

What gave on the rudder to get it pushed up? Bolts on the rudder shaft? The whole shaft move up?

Here’s my boat damage story. In 1997 our 43’ sailboat was dropped 2.5’ onto pavement when the rear strap broke on the travel lift. The initial estimate was for $20k but it took $66k dollars and 5 months to get back in the water. When the strap broke, the rudder and keel went up. The tabbing for the rear 2/3’s of the bulk heads tore. The generator platform failed as did the one for the batteries. We had salon joinery that came loose. We had fuel tank and water damage.

All we paid was the deductible. My insurance company’s surveyor, the boat yard and I worked closely. As we got into it, we found more damage. I had to call the surveyor before work could proceed. The boat yard gave an estimate, the insurance company approved it then those repairs could proceed. I was careful to document everything. It was a slow process but in the end the boat was in better condition then when I bought it.

Good luck. It’s tough. process.

Last edited:
Once the boat is back up a ‘ good ‘ surveyor should have the rudders unshipped to dial rudder stocks for true and also blades. The rudder ports and carriers should be looked at carefully inside especially in way of hull flanges to insure there is no delamination or fractures. If the flanges and bolts appear disturbed they should be removed, inspected and bedded. If the rudder stocks have been pushed up hard or through the rudderport packing glands ( you’ll see a scum line to ID ) then check linkage arms etc for bending or damage. Normally hydraulic cylinders do okay but alway check the ram and end knuckle for damage.

Props should be removed to the shop for inspection and repairs as needed. Shafts drawn and dialed in way of tapers maybe more if struts have been damaged. Struts should be closely inspected in way of the hull palms or bolting flanges and if disturbed removed to shop for inspection and repairs or replacement as needed. If bent they are junk as I wouldn’t trust heat and attempts to straighten. With the struts off look close around bolt holes for collateral hull skin damage and inside to see if there is any delamination. This can get tricky and expensive as stringers are usually close to strut foundations so stringer hull tabbing must be looked at closely. But if your boat has tanks or other major interferences blocking strut doubler pads and bolts the costs will increase substantially. And finally the struts must be carefully aligned to coupling faces and when done sea trialed and proven.

Good luck
Rick

Hire a competent surveyor to take a comprehensive look at the whole boat. Fiberglass doesn't like this kind of surprise, so I would expect there may be delamination in places you wouldn't expect. I've built boats and been around boats for a long time, but I wouldn't trust my eyeballs to find everything. Hire someone who finds problems for a living. Ask here, or your insurance company, for a name if you don't know one.

Jim

Jim is absolutely right. I only addressed the drivetrain end of the casualty since you asked and tried to walk you through necessary steps if damage is found. You need a ‘ competent ‘ surveyor and if your insurance company assigns a dub get your own and bill the carrier for his or her services. 90% of the time they will let the other go and go with your surveyor’s findings if they feel he or she is honest and qualified.

Not sure if the hull exterior shows signs of being hit, hard grounded or what but that is where I would start then depending follow through with interior inspections in corresponding areas understanding that a hull transmits loads and impact much differently on the hard than afloat. I’d look hard at bulkhead tabbing where accessible. Open and close doors if they are really jammed up it could accident related or the hulls posture on blocks and stands. Look at joinerwork, mouldings and like to see if anything has shifted. Look in the engine room and see if the engine has shifted, genset, batteries in their boxes everything. Be sure to attend when the surveyor is looking her over. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and if he comments on what is or isn’t covered then he is out of bounds and probably suspect

Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
Yes to the 2 previous posts. The yard spent $$$’s just on grinding glass and probing. We looked at any potential weak area. One area was the shaft log that needed replacement. Also two new fuel tanks and a water tank had to be repaired. The propane stove was damaged and since no one was willing to certify the repairs I got to pick the new one and they installed it. :)

Not to scare you you but your boat has hurricane damage that will follow the boat. Pictures and receipt’s are your friend. When we sold the sailboat, the repairs actually helped us get a higher price. I was lucky. We had a good surveyor, an excellent boat yard and insurance company. I only had to push back few times.

Last edited:
I too own a 1985 Gulfstar 49. Be aware the hull is cored, so any water incursion repairs need to take that into consideration.

Sorry about the damage.

Thanks for all your help guys. I just wanted to make sure I have some ideas before the insurance adjuster and I’m guessing a surveyor show up. I’ll have a better Idea tomorrow when I see it on the stands.
Thanks
Paul

Your insurance company will likely hire a marine surveyor to appraise the damage. They'll make a determination on a cost for repairs vs. totaling the boat. You could also hire an independent adjuster if you think you may not agree with their assessment.

Just to clarify things a bit. You will see a surveyor assigned to your claim. Since this is what’s termed a ‘ Cat Loss ( catastrophy loss ) the insurance companies are on a different footing handling claims. The loss is so big that teams of surveyors will be swarming around your area and they generally need to get in make quick decisions on whether the damage is too extensive to make repairs in a timely fashion. Normally underwriters work on percentage around 70% of insured value anything beyond or too close become a CTL ( Constructive Total Loss ).

But in Cat losses there is more to consider as repair contractors and yards will be swamped or, like you, damaged. Even if you got your boat into a local yard for repairs it could be a couple of years until completion and remember like all businesses yards are all about making money so they will bring in all kinds of subcontractors to facilitate repairs. Believe me when I tell you Florida is famous for their overnight contractors after a hurricanes, be it boat or house. Most boat owners don’t want their boat trucked a thousands miles away for repairs since it’s hard and expensive to monitor the work. Insurance companies don’t like it either since they would probably have to hire another surveyor local to the repair yard, truck the boat when they can and it usually involves storage charges. So most of the companies I’ve worked Cat Losses with have are prone to total a boat even with 50% repair-value ratio. It’s all about closing files and losses as quickly as possible because delays just aggravate the insured and often damages.

If your boat is considered a CTL and you love your boat and feel it’s worth repairing get a real surveyor who can write up damage repair specs, most can’t. With this info you can hopefully determine if you want to approach your insurance company about a ‘ buy back ‘. Be prepared to offer a specific dollar amount and most of the time if it’s reasonable they will take it. I’ve sold back dozens of nice boats to owners at around 20% or less of value, depending. The owner now has to assume full responsibility including trucking and a repair yard but for some folks this is a real bargain.

BTW you can’t hire an adjuster in this situation and you won’t see one out among the boats and yards. An adjuster is a different animal who’s job is determining coverages, evaluating the surveyors report then finally either authorizing settlement, denying or calling for a reservation of rights. The last is not your concern as there is no funny business with Cat Losses. I hope this helps out a bit

Rick

Thank you Rick for the explanation. I know they have their hands full as every boat around here has sustained some type of damage. Really appreciate the details.
Thanks,
Paul

Back
Top Bottom