Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Curious...price for hull compound and wax?

Wnats an average price?
Also how often do you typically do it? Yearly? Every other?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #2

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
Star, I had my 35' trawler hull and fly bridge waxed (Collinite Compound) last year for $750 and should last at least a season, probably 2. I wash the boat regularly as it lives near a coal burning plant.
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. I suppose it all depends on the local labor rate. Had some painting done in NC for $20/hr. Painting in FL is (ONE quote only) about $30/hr.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We have our hull washed and waxed once/year. Haven't had to compound...

-Chris
Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
My 34 mainship pilot in South Florida gets a Polish and wax twice a year. 950 each time.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I spent $1000 for a compound and wax on my 41' LOA, 36' LWL. That's one job I have not tried to do myself but I probably should try. It seemed like a lot of money to spend. The guy used some 3M product and it turned out really well.

What do others use who do it themselves? Do you have a big buffer? Do you float in the dingy while compounding the hull?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
In my area, about $20 per foot.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I spent $1000 for a compound and wax on my 41' LOA, 36' LWL. That's one job I have not tried to do myself but I probably should try. It seemed like a lot of money to spend. The guy used some 3M product and it turned out really well.

What do others use who do it themselves? Do you have a big buffer? Do you float in the dingy while compounding the hull?
Floating in a dinghy while using an electric buffer is something I would avoid.

I've paid people who do it from a dinghy and I've paid people who insisted that it be hauled and blocked.

I've tried it myself from the dock but each time, I've run out of steam before finishing. Compounding and waxing boats is a job for younger people.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S. I suppose it all depends on the local labor rate. Had some painting done in NC for $20/hr. Painting in FL is (ONE quote only) about $30/hr.

Now, I'm red with envy, work here to pay $ 70 per hour ...and it is more than half too much for me, because I make myself.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have the boat hull and all super structure waxed and buffed once or twice a year with Collinite. Probably takes 20 to 25 hours at the hourly rate. They tend to break it up over several days as you can only run the big variable speed buffer but for so long before you need to take a break. Wax makes cleaning the boat so much easier! If you have good new shiny paint, keeping wax on it pretty much eliminates the need for compounding.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Guru

Curious...price for hull compound and wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Floating in a dinghy while using an electric buffer is something I would avoid.

I've paid people who do it from a dinghy and I've paid people who insisted that it be hauled and blocked.

I've tried it myself from the dock but each time, I've run out of steam before finishing. Compounding and waxing boats is a job for younger people.

Yeah the 110v buffer in a dingy idea sounds really stupid, and I can't see bending over at the dock with the buffer to do the hull, so I keep paying the price.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
How heavy is the oxidation? Depending on how heavy the oxidation it might need to be wet sanded. Price is largely dictated by size and condition. We can't see the condition so it's hard to tell.

Wet sanding is typically followed by progressively less aggressive cutting agents, so it might not be a '1 coat' job so to speak.

I would expect the boat would need to be hauled for this job.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I think $20 a foot is close. I pay $600 for my 35 footer. They are just finishing it up today.

With that said, as far as how often, it all depends on the condition of your gelcoat or if it is paint. If it is gelcoat, then it depends on how good your gelcoat is. Carver gelcoat is notoriously horrible. I had mine wetsanded in September and am now compounding and waxing. I honestly was not too thrilled with the wetsand job at $1700. No problem with the price....they just didn't do a spectacular job. Now the compound and wax job being done right now is stellar. Anyway, I will do mine 2-3 times a year. If you have tan gelcoat like my last Mainship, I would do it 3-4 times a year. That tan gelcoat goes south pretty quickly if it is not taken care of. It looked brand new when I sold it....and the reason why it sold!!!

Now, if you have paint like an Imron, then you can get away with longer intervals. My buddy has a Hatteras(Imron) that looks amazing and he only does it once a year. His guy quoted me $1300 for a compound and wax. I almost did it based on how good his boat looks. Allegedly you are not supposed to compound and wax Awlgrip....but people do it.

I will take pics of my boat when I go down to it today and post up. I will admit, my people do the stainless and clean the vinyl seats and clean the canvas if there is any mold on it. They even cleaned up all of my fenders last time!!! IOW, the boat is completely clean....Spic and span!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Allegedly you are not supposed to compound and wax Awlgrip....but people do it.
Awlgrip is a paint where the shine is only on the surface. If you cut through the surface (compound) you lose most of the shine. It will be sort of shiny if you apply wax on top, but the shine fades quickly as the wax wears away. Best to keep a modern formula wax (like Collinite) on the Awlgrip, and avoid the need to compound years later.

Ted
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
I have two quotes to compound and wax our 41 foot boat this spring. One was $35/ft plus materials. The other was $1600 with materials. They are pretty much the same price. Both tell me to expect them to take about 3 days getting it done. Both work by themselves. There are not too many people in my area that will do this work.

Thy local yard charges $110/hour per person plus materials. Their crew spends much of their time standing around smoking with no management watching their work... It appears to take them 3 days on most of the boats I see them do. With three guys working, that is $2600, plus materials, plus haul out... Not something I will pay.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
Guru

That sounds really high IMO.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S41 View Post
I have two quotes to compound and wax our 41 foot boat this spring. One was $35/ft plus materials. The other was $1600 with materials. They are pretty much the same price. Both tell me to expect them to take about 3 days getting it done. Both work by themselves. There are not too many people in my area that will do this work.

Thy local yard charges $110/hour per person plus materials. Their crew spends much of their time standing around smoking with no management watching their work... It appears to take them 3 days on most of the boats I see them do. With three guys working, that is $2600, plus materials, plus haul out... Not something I will pay.
Your $1600 quote is not TOO far off the mark. Luckily down here in South Texas, we have no shortage of cheap labor.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Awlgrip is a paint where the shine is only on the surface. If you cut through the surface (compound) you lose most of the shine. It will be sort of shiny if you apply wax on top, but the shine fades quickly as the wax wears away. Best to keep a modern formula wax (like Collinite) on the Awlgrip, and avoid the need to compound years later.

Ted
Is collinite like a polymer coating versus an abrasive "polish"???
Old 02-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Is collinite like a polymer coating versus an abrasive "polish"???
They have several different products. Think my guys mostly use the #925 Fiberglass wax, and I use the #850 Metal cleaning and polishing wax. They do have a #920 Fiberglass Cleaner surface prep that may be more abrasive.

Collinite Wax Products

Ted
Old 02-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Unless your hull is really oxidized, and only you can answer that, I'd try just washing and waxing the first time and see how the results turn out. If you're not satisfied, then next time do the full compounding and waxing. The following time go back to wash and wax. Florida sun is tough on finishes so it may be a stretch to get more than a year between wax jobs. Just my 2 cents worth.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote