Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
How much will my boom lift?

I know many here are x sailers. My boat has a sail rig like a regular sailboat, but just not as big. It’s used mainly for stability.

I use the boom to lift my tender (without the engine) to the top of the pilothouse. The tender weighs 125 LBs empty. We are going to the Bahamas (Eleuthera) in May (Lord willin’) and I was wondering if I needed to lift the dinghy out of the water at night for anti-theft reasons. I never did that in the Abacos however, so maybe I don’t need to do that ?

My questions are: Do I need to lift the dinghy every night, and will the boom safely hold the dinghy AND the engine (about 100 LBs)out of the water at night? Seems like a PITA to do every night, and if the anchorage gets rolly I wonder if the dinghy will flop around on the side of the boat.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
There have been sporadic reports of dinghy theft from boats in the Bahamas at night. So it might be a good idea to lift it out of the water a little ways- just enough so if someone cuts the lines to the boom you will feel the boat heel and come out and do something (what?) about it. More of a prevention strategy than an interaction one.

in a rolly anchorage, pull the dinghy up even higher so it doesn't dip into the water and lays against the side of the boat. Should be pretty stable in that condition.

I am sure that the boom sees more than 225 lbs on its mainsheet when the sail and the wind is up. Use the point where the topping lift (the line to the back of the boom) attaches to the boom as your lift point, not in the middle of the boom which puts a bending strain on the boom.

What is the size of your topping lift? They are usually 3/8" for your size rig which has a breaking strength of 3,000 lbs which is plenty to take the dinghy load. Your forestay which is the other leg of the triangle should be plenty big for the load.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
The boom should be strong enough for the dinghy, as the mainsail clew loads are significantly higher. You can use the Harken load formula here to check if you know the approximate dimensions of the rig.

When I was in Eleuthera it didn't seem any more dangerous than other areas in the Bahamas. But I put my dinghy in the garage for the night.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Guru

I think my topping lift is 3/8. Didn’t realize it was 3000 LB strength !

I’ve been lifting closer to the middle of the boom but will move it out to the end. Thanks.

And yeah, I’m not sure what I would do if someone was trying to steal it. Run out there naked and scare them maybe.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
And yeah, I’m not sure what I would do if someone was trying to steal it. Run out there naked and scare them maybe.

You probably won't have to do that since with your dinghy lifted up, yours will be the last boat in the anchorage that a crook wants to mess with, notwithstanding the potential for seeing some scary stuff

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Your boom should lift it, but it still would be a pain to do every night.

I'd just have insurance on it and not worry about it. Maybe just lift the outboard if you're concerned.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Guru

I could leave the engine mounted and lift the rear of the dinghy with my engine hoist maybe.

Would hate to have to remove the engine each night.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Guru

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
What about a length of cable with a lock? Would that be sufficient?

Cable up motor and dink to your boat. They would need a bolt cutter to remove. Likely the sound of the cutter in use might awake you.

Or add a camera (w/motion detector and light) to the set up as well. It may flip on all night with boat movement. Depending on the situation that might scare them off.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Securing You Dinghy

When we were cruising Mexico there was not much of a issue with dinghy theft but so as not to tempt fate we used a motor lock an then a long cable. We locked the end of the cable to the dinghy's bow eye and then to a cleat on the stern of the boat. The cable would not have been much of a match for a good bolt cutter but it was a deterrent that we hoped would force a would be thief to find easier pickings. Be aware that the outboard locks that use padlocks have an interesting problem. If you don't keep anti corrosion compound on the lock because the padlock is recessed into the device and not easy to cut off. Took close to an hour to cut through ours with a hacksaw.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Your boom should lift it, but it still would be a pain to do every night.

I'd just have insurance on it and not worry about it. Maybe just lift the outboard if you're concerned.
Problem with this is that when you are out cruising your "dink" is your basic transportation and lifeline to shore.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I think my topping lift is 3/8. Didn’t realize it was 3000 LB strength !

I’ve been lifting closer to the middle of the boom but will move it out to the end. Thanks.

That would certainly scare me....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
Guru

[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]
Old 03-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Improve your technique so that you can lift the dinghy with the motor attached and set it in the cradle. Leave the boom attached for easy deployment the next day. Works for me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Improve your technique so that you can lift the dinghy with the motor attached and set it in the cradle. Leave the boom attached for easy deployment the next day. Works for me.

Ted

I’ve never lifted it with the engine on it. Need another pulley on my block and tackle I think. Only have two pulleys and it’s not super easy just with the dinghy. Good idea to leave it all attached to redeploy.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake/S Florida
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Viking Sport Cruiser 50 ft flybridge
Just use a hefty cable and lock. I lock my dinghy to bow rail with a rubber clad cable that is maybe 1/2 inch and I think pretty tough to cut with a bolt cutter. Need a cutoff saw. I have left it locked to boat for a few hundred nights throughout the Bahamas. You just need a cable heavier than the standard 1/4 inchbike lock cable
silver lining1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
Guru

I think the cable idea sounds the easiest. Thanks all.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Maybe a couple cables, one at each end . If that wakes you then maybe the action of an old rusty old 12 ga pump will run them off. Nothing like sound of a rusty shot in the night.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #18
Guru

I have an old shotgun, but I don’t think the Bahamians like guns.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Realizing that dealing with a dinghy is a pain, that's the best technique I've heard.

Here awaiting the convenience of FlyWright's dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
coot at mildred.jpg  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #20
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
cardude01,

It's hard to offer ideas without knowing the geometry of how your hoist works and where you put the dink, but Ted's idea of just lifting it high enough to be little risk of theft, securing it and be able to easily drop it the next day.

Heck, you'll want it out of the water regardless when you can.

Another thought about thieves..... I could argue a goal to scare them away with some sort of motion sensor with lights and noise rather than confronting them. I'd bet dinghy thieves would scare off easily. Now thieves that want your boat, different story.

FWIW, I lift mine (similar weight as yours) with two St. Croix davits that extend back from the aft flybridge. Can lift it out of the water just above the swim platform for easy launch the next day, run it up higher abeam the top of the transom, or hoist it all the way up to the flybridge, freeing up the swim platform. Even the lowest lift with a cable lock would deter thieves.