To CUBAR or not to CUBAR ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
The Cubar 2022 rally opens registration on November 1st. This rally starts in San Diego and ends up in La Paz.

During the last CUBAR rally someone I have talked to on another forum Mark, joined the rally and from our discussions had a great time.

My plan is to make the trip down the Baja myself, during that exact same timeframe, so I am thinking of joining the rally.

The plus side of the rally is that it is an extremely social event, and provides the safety in numbers while traveling through this very remote part of the world.
The down side is the rally is pretty fast paced leaving little time to explore.

In terms of the trip itself I am not worried, since i have a ton of remote location boating experience. I would be joining the rally for the fun factor, not because I worry about doing it on my own.

What do you guys think???

If you have done the rally was it fun???

We went in 2017.

Yes, there are not many stops. But along the Pacific coast, there are not many places to stop even if you wanted to.

The social aspect is good.

It's also a very convenient way to get all of the travel formalities taken care of for you, and to be sure it's all above the table. That should not be underestimated.

I did the BajaHaHa on a friend's Willard 40 in 2004. Being one of four powerboats in a fleet of 160 was a bit of a step-child syndrome. Because there were so many boats with such a diversity of boat-speed, each stop was several days. I pinged the CUBAR website and didn't find an itinerary so not clear on where they stop and for how long.

I presume you'll be taking-on fuel with Enrique at Turtle Bay. If you go solo, I'd make sure you stop there before the CUBAR fleet vs after.

I'm not much of a joiner so I'm not sure if I'd join if I were in your shoes. If I were solo, I might just to see if I could find crew to help stand watch. Days are pretty short that time of year.

Peter

I did the BajaHaHa on a friend's Willard 40 in 2004. Being one of four powerboats in a fleet of 160 was a bit of a step-child syndrome. Because there were so many boats with such a diversity of boat-speed, each stop was several days. I pinged the CUBAR website and didn't find an itinerary so not clear on where they stop and for how long.

I presume you'll be taking-on fuel with Enrique at Turtle Bay. If you go solo, I'd make sure you stop there before the CUBAR fleet vs after.

I'm not much of a joiner so I'm not sure if I'd join if I were in your shoes. If I were solo, I might just to see if I could find crew to help stand watch. Days are pretty short that time of year.

Peter

I was intrigued by this thread and so I looked at this, it shows the last itinerary (2019) beginning on page 12.

I did Cubar on a friends Nordhavn 40 in 2017, then did the San Diego-Cabo trip on another friends N60 as part of the "Taco Run" in 2019 (six Nordhavns), and am now planning on doing it myself next month. But if Cubar were going this year I'd do it!

The Nordhavn 40 only cruised 6.5-7 knots and was a little slow for Cubar. Several of the runs required an additional overnight for us compared to the rest of the group, which was cruising around 8.5 knots, so we missed some social events. We didn't need fuel, so didn't need the help with that logistical challenge. We did benefit from help with customs and marina reservations and had fun at several parties. We also towed another Cubar boat the last ~100nm into Cabo after they broke down, somewhat proving the "safety in numbers" argument.

The Taco Run group was more loosely organized. Fito, the manager at Marina Coral in Ensenada, facilitated all the government formalities when we arrived. It was such a pleasant experience that we will go to Marina Coral in Ensenada when we arrive in a few weeks. On the Taco Run Ww had good weather and made many more stops than Cubar. The only one that really stands out, though, was Cedros Island, where we swam, hiked, dinghied with dolphins, and ate at a few restaurants in town. Stopping overnight was a spur-of-the-moment decision that took advantage of unusually calm conditions and wouldn't have been possible on a big trip like Cubar.

On the Taco Run we caught up with the Baja Haha a few times and they were very welcoming--their parties were pretty fun, too!

If I were going to Mexico on a Cubar year I'd sign up, but I wouldn't be beholden to their schedule. Use your own common sense (and weather sense), read the books and see if there are additional places you want to stop if possible, and don't worry if you miss some of the Cubar events. I think the help with customs and marina reservations alone is worth the fee, especially for a first cruise in Mexico.

These are all interesting thoughts!!! Thanks!!!

My thoughts are really for the comradery more than anything else. I just sounds like a fun social event.

Marina reservations are easy... Since I know Cubar is happening I can make my reservations before they do and make sure I get a slip in Ensenada, Cabo, and La Paz

Customs is also easy. This is something that I can start the process ahead of time, and/or I can pay the port captain at the Ensenada marina to take care of that. They offer that service.

Fuel is a big challenge if I am behind the CUBAR fleet. This is something to think about or I could find myself stuck in turtle bay for a couple of weeks waiting on the fuel delivery truck.

On the down side there are plenty of places to stay overnight along the way, although most only offer protection from northerly winds. The fleet cannot use them because they are not big enough for 50 boats. The only place with nowhere is the last leg from Magdalena Bay to Cabo. That is a hundred fifty miles. I have a great Baja Cruising guide and have studied this in depth.

The other down side is I really like to choose my own weather to travel in, and being part of a fleet means that I might feel pressure to sail in conditions that might be comfortable in a Nordhavn, but not so comfortable in my Bayliner.

Lots to think about!

One aspect of the CUBAR is its ability to hook you up with vetted crew for your trip down. This might be of interest to you Kevin as you are a short handed sailor.

I am fairly confident I am going to join. My (boat with prior owner) has cometed the that route (SF to PV) many times but it will be a first for me. I have made trips in both directions between San Francisco and San Diego but being part of a group should significantly lower my stress level. I also speak no Spanish which I am not proud about. Plus their is the social/fun factor. I have a few friends who have made longer trips with me over the years and they are quite interested in the CUBAR. Should be an adventure and a great way to start exploring the Sea of Cortez.

I made the trip in the early 90s and found that there are a bunch of people in the same "boat" regardless of being in an organized group or not. Also did the trip in the mid-2000s on a motorcycle but that's for another forum. You will be part of the Class of 2022 which represents the flock of boaters heading south and many for the first time as they live out their cruising dreams. Mother nature basically puts cruisers in a group because of hurricane season and forces folks to group up in the fall. Boats from all along the U.S. West Coast will be migrating south to gather in San Diego for the magical end of hurricane season. This means you will meet other folks along the way that share the same goal of getting south. You may end up loosely buddy boating with folks you meet along the way. For example if 3 boats get stuck in Coos Bay Oregon because of weather you all will probably move south again on the next good weather window. If you chat on the dock you'll probably share plans and may decide to check in on each other along the way on the next hop. Maybe you don't chat but mother nature may group you up anyways based on the timing of the slack tide and getting across the bar. As you hop down the coast you'll keep meeting boats doing the same thing. Maybe you'll know a dozen boats by the time you get to San Diego. You may decide to do hops together with other folks you click with or not. Maybe you'll find someone that is interested in exploring some of the outer islands on the Baja like Isa San Benitos so you go together. I would be more inclined to just run on my schedule rather than the CUBAR schedule. However maybe by the time you get down to San Diego you'll want to change things up and be part of CUBAR for the comradery.

Last edited:
When we had our sailboat, we did the Baha Ha-ha cruisers rally. We met people that are still friends today. When we went back to Mexico in our Krogen, we made six stops along the MX coast to Cabo and spent a week in Mag Bay. During the trip down the US coast we met boaters that were also heading that way who we kept "bumping into" all the way to La Paz. Its a tough call but a great trip no matter how you get there.

If you decide to take your time going down the coast, CHARLIE'S CHARTS: WESTERN COAST OF MEXICO AND BAJA is a good resource.

Here's link to Latitude's First Timers Guide to Mexico if you haven't seen it.

https://www.latitude38.com/issues/first-timers-guide-mexico-2021/

Of all the places we've traveled, Mexico is still our favorite. :dance:

I made the trip in the early 90s and found that there are a bunch of people in the same "boat" regardless of being in an organized group or not. Also did the trip in the mid-2000s on a motorcycle but that's for another forum. You will be part of the Class of 2022 which represents the flock of boaters heading south and many for the first time as they live out their cruising dreams. Mother nature basically puts cruisers in a group because of hurricane season and forces folks to group up in the fall. Boats from all along the U.S. West Coast will be migrating south to gather in San Diego for the magical end of hurricane season. This means you will meet other folks along the way that share the same goal of getting south. You may end up loosely buddy boating with folks you meet along the way. For example if 3 boats get stuck in Coos Bay Oregon because of weather you all will probably move south again on the next good weather window. If you chat on the dock you'll probably share plans and may decide to check in on each other along the way on the next hop. Maybe you don't chat but mother nature may group you up anyways based on the timing of the slack tide and getting across the bar. As you hop down the coast you'll keep meeting boats doing the same thing. Maybe you'll know a dozen boats by the time you get to San Diego. You may decide to do hops together with other folks you click with or not. Maybe you'll find someone that is interested in exploring some of the outer islands on the Baja like Isa San Benitos so you go together. I would be more inclined to just run on my schedule rather than the CUBAR schedule. However maybe by the time you get down to San Diego you'll want to change things up and be part of CUBAR for the comradery.

That is kinda my thought as well. I am a person that really enjoys walking the dock and chatting with folks.

Since a lot of harbors have transient berthing areas like a long dock you are often grouped with other transients anyway. I am 100% certain that I will quickly meet others living the same lifestyle, and making the same journey. The further south I get the more concentrated this "group" will become.

When we had our sailboat, we did the Baha Ha-ha cruisers rally. We met people that are still friends today. When we went back to Mexico in our Krogen, we made six stops along the MX coast to Cabo and spent a week in Mag Bay. During the trip down the US coast we met boaters that were also heading that way who we kept "bumping into" all the way to La Paz. Its a tough call but a great trip no matter how you get there.

If you decide to take your time going down the coast, CHARLIE'S CHARTS: WESTERN COAST OF MEXICO AND BAJA is a good resource.

Larry, reading the bits you have posted over the years about your trip down the Baja is one of the reasons I am thinking of doing it on my schedule vs part of the organized rally.

Another challenge is that by the nature of me being a one person crew I am really looking at hops of 18 hours or less. I can adjust my speed as long as I plan out my fuel to make up to a bit over 250 miles a hop but perfer to keep my speed at 8 knots or so for fuel economy.

I am a huge fan of leisurely trips. I have no reason to leave one port other than my internally driven desire to do so. No schedules to keep, and no reason to venture out in bad weather.

The CUBAR involves three overnight runs and has a three person minimum crew requirement. It would be easy to add volunteer crew, but that is something to consider.

As far as guidebooks I already have Pat Rains Mexico Cruising Guide and will order the Charlies Charts guidebook as well. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Kevin, a few more bits of advice. Book marinas early if you go on your own. I started contacting places in Cabo in early October and they're all full until the end of the year. Not sure if they'll find space for us when we get there at the end of November or not. La Paz has been a challenge, too. I hate booking marinas early because I like remaining flexible, but it seems like marina space is very limited in parts of Mexico.

On the Taco Run, the boat I was on really wanted to avoid running overnight. We only did one or two overnights, one was from Mag Bay to Cabo. A couple problems with day hops from my perspective. Because the days are short, you still end up going in/out of anchorages in the dark. There are lots of little fishing floats that are impossible to see in the dark and getting tangled in one (prop or stabilizer) always concerned me. The second problem is the anchorages (besides Turtle Bay and Mag Bay) are at least somewhat rolly and shore access requires getting through surf. In settled weather it's not a huge deal, especially with a lightweight dinghy, but it's not like what we're used to.

Have fun with the planning! We've had a great trip from your part of the world this summer down to San Francisco so far. We just took a side trip to Yosemite and found it a little disappointing after Prince William Sound!

On the Taco Run, the boat I was on really wanted to avoid running overnight. We only did one or two overnights, one was from Mag Bay to Cabo. A couple problems with day hops from my perspective. Because the days are short, you still end up going in/out of anchorages in the dark.

What was the motivation to avoid running at night? Therre are few places in North America with longer runs between safe harbors than the Baja peninsula.

Peter

Kevin, a few more bits of advice. Book marinas early if you go on your own. I started contacting places in Cabo in early October and they're all full until the end of the year. Not sure if they'll find space for us when we get there at the end of November or not. La Paz has been a challenge, too. I hate booking marinas early because I like remaining flexible, but it seems like marina space is very limited in parts of Mexico.

On the Taco Run, the boat I was on really wanted to avoid running overnight. We only did one or two overnights, one was from Mag Bay to Cabo. A couple problems with day hops from my perspective. Because the days are short, you still end up going in/out of anchorages in the dark. There are lots of little fishing floats that are impossible to see in the dark and getting tangled in one (prop or stabilizer) always concerned me. The second problem is the anchorages (besides Turtle Bay and Mag Bay) are at least somewhat rolly and shore access requires getting through surf. In settled weather it's not a huge deal, especially with a lightweight dinghy, but it's not like what we're used to.

Have fun with the planning! We've had a great trip from your part of the world this summer down to San Francisco so far. We just took a side trip to Yosemite and found it a little disappointing after Prince William Sound!

Yes, I am starting to think that it would be wise to book early as well. Especially since some folks (like me) that really wanted to travel this year decided to wait due to Covid restrictions so it might be busier yet next fall.

As far as day hops go, this is a challenge everywhere as you know, and is something I am not used to being that my experience base in in Alaska during the summer when it does not really get dark much.

Being a early riser my thoughts are to leave the place I'm at in the dark if necessary and arrive before dark if at all possible. That way I have an opportunity pull into a new place in the daylight, and get a feel for the lay of the area. I have also outfitted my boat with some serious lighting capability and I am hoping that helps make avoiding things easier, but again this whole traveling in the dark is new territory for me so we'll have to adapt as things progress and I learn.

Kevin,

We traveled down the Pacific Coast in 19 also. We also met up with the Nordies on the Taco Run, they greeted us with open arms and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We considered joining Cubar but wanted to travel at our own pace and save a chunk of money. We ended up in the middle of both the Cubar and Baja Haha and the Taco Run. We did enter Ensenada before the majority of the fleet and left the day after Cubar departed. When we arrived in Turtle bay, the Cubar left that morning so we pretty much had the bay to ourselves. We took a short nap and woke up to a small fleet of Nordies around us. By the next morning the Baha group was in full swing with close to 100 sailboats filling the bay nicely, and they kept coming.
We stayed for a couple more days after the Baja group left and with the Nordies headed for Mag bay. Stayed there for over a week to wait out a storm then we all headed to Cabo San Jose. Much better than Cabo San Lucas.
It was a great beginning to the Sea of Cortez. Many of the people that we knew who did the Cubar had a blast and almost all of them were newb’s to the Mexico cruising. The social aspect was enjoyable, but they do sorta require you to stay with the crowd and the locations they choose as well as travel when they do.
The open rode anchorage are not the best and all of them can be rolly.
Fill up in Ensanada. IF you have to take on fuel to make it to Cabo, Turtle Bay is probably your best option, a bit shaky, but really your only option. Mag bay might have a barge for the Baja crowd but I wouldn’t rely on it. If you slow down, you might make it. I seem to recall the limit on the Bayliner is right at 1,000 NM.
Anyway, look at our blog for more information and where we stayed along the coast.
Also, try and get into San Diego before the others do, moorage is tighter than most places.

Highly recommend joining the Panama Posse, a wealth of info and help.

Cheers!

Good to hear!
We are headed down to meet and launch Domino on the 8th after a long wait. I can confirm that many of those who did not travel last year are flooding down this year. It was a battle to get a launch date at Gabriel's yard in Guaymas and slips are real tough. They are busy down there!
We ended up with a slip booked for the Winter season in La Paz and really looking forward to exploring this part of the world. Nervous too. Both the boat and the region are new to us so likely some surprises in store!

Kevin,

We traveled down the Pacific Coast in 19 also. We also met up with the Nordies on the Taco Run, they greeted us with open arms and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We considered joining Cubar but wanted to travel at our own pace and save a chunk of money. We ended up in the middle of both the Cubar and Baja Haha and the Taco Run. We did enter Ensenada before the majority of the fleet and left the day after Cubar departed. When we arrived in Turtle bay, the Cubar left that morning so we pretty much had the bay to ourselves. We took a short nap and woke up to a small fleet of Nordies around us. By the next morning the Baha group was in full swing with close to 100 sailboats filling the bay nicely, and they kept coming.
We stayed for a couple more days after the Baja group left and with the Nordies headed for Mag bay. Stayed there for over a week to wait out a storm then we all headed to Cabo San Jose. Much better than Cabo San Lucas.
It was a great beginning to the Sea of Cortez. Many of the people that we knew who did the Cubar had a blast and almost all of them were newb’s to the Mexico cruising. The social aspect was enjoyable, but they do sorta require you to stay with the crowd and the locations they choose as well as travel when they do.
The open rode anchorage are not the best and all of them can be rolly.
Fill up in Ensanada. IF you have to take on fuel to make it to Cabo, Turtle Bay is probably your best option, a bit shaky, but really your only option. Mag bay might have a barge for the Baja crowd but I wouldn’t rely on it. If you slow down, you might make it. I seem to recall the limit on the Bayliner is right at 1,000 NM.
Anyway, look at our blog for more information and where we stayed along the coast.
Also, try and get into San Diego before the others do, moorage is tighter than most places.

Highly recommend joining the Panama Posse, a wealth of info and help.

Cheers!

The Panama Pose sounds like my style! I'll be joining that group for sure.

I will need fuel in Turtle Bay. I feel safe at 600 NM but that's my limit. 440 gallons of fuel at about 1.75NMPG sounds like a long way but if I get into a head sea or current it can get dicy, and I am not a fan of dicy.

The Panama Pose sounds like my style! I'll be joining that group for sure.

I will need fuel in Turtle Bay. I feel safe at 600 NM but that's my limit. 440 gallons of fuel at about 1.75NMPG sounds like a long way but if I get into a head sea or current it can get dicy, and I am not a fan of dicy.

Agreed on the conservative planning. With my 420 gallon capacity I plan to never burn more than 300, plus staying on the conservative side for burn estimate.

Don't forget, slowing down a knot should buy you a noticeable improvement in fuel burn if you want more margin on the long runs.

Turtle Bay fuel

I did the Ha Ha in 2019 and the Bash back in June of 2020. Paying $8/gal for questionable fuel in TB was not my idea of a good deal. Coming back I stopped in Ascension, which is an easy day's run south of TB, with a good anchorage and nicer town IMO. A friendly fellow named Leri will bring you fuel from the local Pemex station which was a much better deal than the robbery in TB.

Enjoy the trip!

I'd say yes, you should find it a good time. I was there also in 2017, crew on New Fidelity. There was a boat that has some issues and was helped by one of the others. That aspect is nice, you can be confident there will be someone near and willing to help if you need it.

Kevin,

You now have three options for rallies, the Cubar, Baha haha, and the Panama posse. Each have pros and cons.

We did the Fubar in 2013 which was run by another yacht club (not San Diego) and it was disappointing from the cruising standpoint. The prep sessions as well as having Bob Sentner doing a full boat inspection were the positives.

The Panama posse does not have a schedule but offers excellent discounts at marinas. We’re going to their kickoff party this week as guests to determine if it’s worth the $150 price. We anchor out 90% of the time so it may not be.

We’re heading south next week with two other boats, staying a day or two behind the haha. You may be better served by finding a buddy boat or two.

Kevin,

You now have three options for rallies, the Cubar, Baha haha, and the Panama posse. Each have pros and cons.

We did the Fubar in 2013 which was run by another yacht club (not San Diego) and it was disappointing from the cruising standpoint. The prep sessions as well as having Bob Sentner doing a full boat inspection were the positives.

The Panama posse does not have a schedule but offers excellent discounts at marinas. We’re going to their kickoff party this week as guests to determine if it’s worth the $150 price. We anchor out 90% of the time so it may not be.

We’re heading south next week with two other boats, staying a day or two behind the haha. You may be better served by finding a buddy boat or two.

Thats what I'm doing... I have a good friend who looks like I casn buddy boat with. Plus I'll sign up for the panama possee.

The rally sounds fun, but when I look most of the boats are 60'Nordies and such. I just do not know how I'll fit in, and I like the ides of setting my own schedule.

Back
Top Bottom