Cuba Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Anyone got a handle on the current rules for a private US documented boat going to Cuba? Or a link?

We are toying with the idea of the Keys, Cuba and the T&Cs for our Carribbean trip next year.

Menzies

We looked into it a few year ago (before Trump) and you needed a humanitarian reason to get US permission. Not difficult to do all the paperwork and we were ready to go but I understand that window is now closed. I do know guys who enter Cuba from the Bahamas and leave Cuba through the Bahamas, not sure you would get caught but if caught the penalty could be severe. We would still consider a trip to Hemingway Marina if it is legal.

If you find out Menzies, let me know as I would like to do that same trip.

If you are considering going over the winter, no matter where you leave from, be prepared for marginal weather windows. The northeasters against the stream and even east winds makes for an unpleasant trip across.

Maybe join “Cruising and Sailing: Cuba” on Facebook. There are 4K plus members and the information is pretty up to date. We joined when we’re getting to ready to go three years ago unfortunately we never made it.

When you get to the Keys, ask around, especially around Boot Key harbor in Marathon. Lots of those boats go to Cuba.

Get with the TMCA folks. (Texas Mariner Cruising Association) as they have recently cruised as a group to Cuba. I'm sure they can help you get all your ducks in a row. It's not as tough as it may seem.

Kevin

Texas Mariners Cruising - Home

It was easy before Trump, you needed to prove a humanitarian reason. Now I understand it has changed, you can check with our state department.

I’ve been to Cuba a few times many years ago and have friends who have been there in recent years and there is not much to enjoy there, it’s like stepping back 70 years. The fishing tournaments of course have the local putas walking the Dock. I’m not sure what the fascination is but I would like to visit one last time.

I’ve been to Cuba a few times many years ago and have friends who have been there in recent years and there is not much to enjoy there, it’s like stepping back 70 years. The fishing tournaments of course have the local putas walking the Dock. I’m not sure what the fascination is but I would like to visit one last time.

You do realize that Cuba is NOT a 3rd world country? They are technically a 2nd world country (Russia, China, most of Eastern Europe). Sanctions have really been limited to the US. The rest of the world does business and travels to Cuba.

They have a vibrant history and culture They have museums, parks, resorts, restaurants.

Shrew

Not to argue but Cuba is a country where much of the population has little health care and food is scarce at time. Electricty is cut off at times for various reasons. Yes the rest of the world visits Cuba but the government has sections, stores, hotels, ect just for for the tourists and not for the residents. I don’t know if that is a Second or third word country but when I was there I would rate it far below Russia and Eastern Europe which I have also visited.

I live in Miami and speak often to friends who visit their families in Cuba and they would disagree with you concerning the residents, tourists are a different story.

Two things.

Their health Care is top notch and widely available.

Secondly, I would take what you hear from those who fled the country, or whose parents did, with a pinch of salt.

Menzies. It is widely available but medicines and equipment is questionable. Less than 15% of Cuban doctors pass the United States Medical Exam the first ten years in the US. The elite in Cuba went to Venezuela for medical treatment before that country deteriorated, now most go to Spain or Brazil (I know a few who have done exactly that). Some of the very elite travel to the USA. Doctors are paid very little in Cuba.

Never been there, but have read accounts from numerous people who have. Would love to visit there one of these days if we ever get our boat to the other coast. Hopefully it will be a different scenario in the future, and progress will be made again to allow visitors between the two countries.

I have been there a number of times, both by air and the last sailing from Marathon 2016. My biggest surprise was the number of American flagged vessels. They out numbered all the vessels from all other countries combined, including Canada. It appeared that most US vessels arrived from another country (Bahamas etc.) but it seemed no one cared. Entry was extremely easy; marina fees really reasonable and travel unlimited.
The Cubans have no issue with US citizens coming to their country. It is the other way around. The people are happy, friendly and love their country. And their government ? Who in the world really likes everything about their own government?
Everywhere I've gone they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. :flowers:

BuoyO nailed it.
I was there '15/16, glad I went.
From a cruising perspective, it looked to me that infrastructure to support easy cruising is thin for fuel, moorage. But I've been to Baja, no thinner than that. I think the south coast would be an amazing cruise.

Let's not forget that the USA (disliking European rule in the western hemisphere) and Cuban patriots kicked out the Spanish, resulting in Cuban independence.

Let's not forget that the communist takeover confiscated all private property. That's why there are a lot of Cubans in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom