Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #141
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Just came in from the first "What in the Hell is broke" trial run on a perfectly flat water day with the sun as bright as a dollar and the moutains capped to the timber line in fresh deep power snow.
What a Spring break!!!:
Radar -no power,: other than that all systems up and running. Speaking of running, small tides-1000 RPM-4.5 Knots 1450 RPM- 5.8-6 knots. 1600 RPM- 6.4-6.8 knots 1700 RPM-6.9-7.3 knots. Max RPM WOT 2150 RPM. Settled at the 1600 RPM for the three hour run.

Happy!

Al-Ketchikan
Yea Al!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #142
Veteran Member

City: Manotick, Ontario
Vessel Name: The Emerald
Vessel Model: Silverton 31C
When delivering a Hatteras 61 from Venezuela to Mexico, via the Panama Canal, we wanted speed, but also wanted to conserve fuel, so we consulted with the engine manufacturer to determine the ideal cruising rpm for the engines and then just ran at that, so that we consumed the least fuel possible, while not damaging the engines. I think it was about 10 knots, but it was a while ago. Key is the principle of running at ideal lowest rpm for best fuel consumption. It was a very enjoyable couple of months.
windled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #143
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
But as I said nobody's going to change a boat by wanting to go a different speed. And as several to many have pointed out one can go whatever speed but if a boat was designed for 10 knots usually going 6 or 14 would indicate that this person has the wrong boat.

So I'm talking about boats .. not owners or operators. But I am talking the act of running them "improperly" and if enough of this running out of the propper range is done having a more suitable boat would obviously be better.
I'll leave it at I've heard you argue this many times and I don't and will never agree with you. You're so incredibly fixated on looking at it your way and that any other way is wrong. Boats are not designed just to be boats, they are designed for users.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #144
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy
But as I said nobody's going to change a boat by wanting to go a different speed. And as several to many have pointed out one can go whatever speed but if a boat was designed for 10 knots usually going 6 or 14 would indicate that this person has the wrong boat.

So I'm talking about boats .. not owners or operators. But I am talking the act of running them "improperly" and if enough of this running out of the proper range is done having a more suitable boat would obviously be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll leave it at I've heard you argue this many times and I don't and will never agree with you. You're so incredibly fixated on looking at it your way and that any other way is wrong. Boats are not designed just to be boats, they are designed for users.
I believe Eric is somewhat correct with his feelings in that what he says lends itself only to FD and maybe even SD hulls [remember he is speaking only about boat hull, not owners]. Unfortunately it appears he has not spent too much time actually piloting a well designed planning hull larger boat and experiencing that such a boat hull can travel well through water at nearly all its speed ranges. About the only speed that would not be too comfortable/much-fun to linger on too long is when the hull is just breaking onto plane. That sequence only lasts for a moment for well designed and correctly powered boats.

Eric - I recommend you get some time on a really well designed planning hull boat while its experienced owner takes you through at least a whole day of different speed ranges in different levels of sea conditions.

Try It - You'll Like IT!!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #145
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I do like it Art,
I've only had two slow boats in my life excluding canoes and kayaks. Kayak was my forst boat. Built it as a kit from Deadham Mass when I was twelve. Canvas covered w hundreds of copper tacks. Aircraft dope (not included in the kit) and paint. Was very light.
My powerboats before trawlering were all outboards 10 to 28'. I have five outboards (engines) now and several boats. Remember I was "manyboats" until PeterB talked me into returning to my original name.
Personally a planing boat has two speeds, hull speed comming and going from a harbor and just above hump speed. I run my 18' deep V (Winner) the shy side of 20 knots. See no point in going faster. If it was a lot flatter on the bottom I'd run her closer to 15.
And you're very right I do'nt have much experience in bigger boats. A lot of experience arround bigger boats but very little underway. Would really like a long skinny lobsterboat w OB power .. twins.
So my Willard is quite far off the mark from my ideal boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #146
Art
Guru

Quote:
I do like it Art,
I've only had two slow boats in my life excluding canoes and kayaks. Kayak was my forst boat. Built it as a kit from Deadham Mass when I was twelve. Canvas covered w hundreds of copper tacks. Aircraft dope (not included in the kit) and paint. Was very light.
My powerboats before trawlering were all outboards 10 to 28'. I have five outboards (engines) now and several boats. Remember I was "manyboats" until PeterB talked me into returning to my original name.
Personally a planing boat has two speeds, hull speed comming and going from a harbor and just above hump speed. I run my 18' deep V (Winner) the shy side of 20 knots. See no point in going faster. If it was a lot flatter on the bottom I'd run her closer to 15.
And you're very right I do'nt have much experience in bigger boats. A lot of experience arround bigger boats but very little underway. Would really like a long skinny lobsterboat w OB power .. twins.
So my Willard is quite far off the mark from my ideal boat.
Eric - In respect and honesty from reading your posts for years now... I believe your Willard is the boat for you at this stage in life. More the boat for you than you realize. It's a real nice boat. You compliment each other well. Keep on keepen on! Art
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #147
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Chris,
Looks like I've offended you. Was'nt the intent.

Also I'm a student of hull design and running a hull at a speed it was not designed to do is a bit like chalk the wrong way on a blackboard.

There is a perfect speed, a good cruising speed range, acceptable speeds and whatever the boat will do within the realm of costs, both monetarily and for comfort ect ect.

So I'm basically an idealist and gravitate toward ideal things. But others are not and I was seen as one to be trying to fit others into my mould. Most of it was just being an idealist but to some extent I probably was pushing my ideas off on others. Sorry.
Quote:
What you and others are think'in about is about you and your whims. What I'm talking about is what a boat is designed for. Design wise a boat is matched and aligned to a specific speed range or in some cases speed ranges. All the whims of however many owners are'nt going to change the engine thrust or hull shape or displacement of a boat. And liking to run a 25 knot boat at 7 knots dos'nt make it a good speed for the boat. One can run a boat at whatever speed. It's their boat and only they will suffer if there's any suffering to be done.

So I'm talking about boats .. not owners or operators. But I am talking the act of running them "improperly" and if enough of this running out of the propper range is done having a more suitable boat would obviously be better.

Not to worry, no offense taken, I'm just continuing to suggest that boats don't use people, it's the other way around.

Some boats are designed with a more limited speed range... because the designer wasn't good enough to make the boat as versatile as some need.

Heh... just kidding a bit there... but actually physics, available technology, and cost does tend to limit what designers can come up with and be versatile enough for the many of us in the marketplace who really do want to travel at the appropriate speed du jour... which may or may not fit within the parameters offered by some specific boats. (Wrong boats, for us.)

That probably means our ideal isn't the same as your ideal. Our proper isn't the same as your proper. A right boat does what we want, not just what the designer could figure out. The designer is never (yet) part of our crew, so doesn't get a vote on today's journey... or the speeds at which we travel.

And your right boat isn't our right boat. No reason it should be.

-Chris
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #148
Art
Guru

Pleasure boat fun is similar to bed room fun! We all like to have fun the way we personally like to have fun! If the "partner" in bedroom or "partner" [ie. boat] in water performs the way we want - We Smile BIG!