Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Have you checked Swire Shipping? They run a regular service from Vancouver to Brisbane & Tauranga. It was a monthly service when I loaded in Vancouver, but now looks to be about 6 weeks as they have added in extra stops.
http://www.swireshipping.com/images/...st%20Coast.pdf

I was water-to-water & deck cargo, with a cradle made in Los Angeles on the ship's way north. You might have the option of loading from land. My boat was offloaded into the water in LosAngeles during its trip to allow deck hatches to open. The only reason I know that was a photo I received from a tug captain I know. He was most surprised to see my boat in the air when he was exiting port. So with Swire I'd suggest your flatrack/cradle be able to 'swim' for a bit if required!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Thanks for the tip Brian, I live in Tauranga and know of Swire Shipping but hadn't approached them.
Interesting they would splash your boat without consent, at least for their insurance.

darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Thanks for the tip Brian, I live in Tauranga and know of Swire Shipping but hadn't approached them.
Interesting they would splash your boat without consent, at least for their insurance.
I'm sure they got consent on the documents signed before they took it. I don't know of any who don't occasionally do that. Even those that have a straight run reserve the right just as they have the right to off load equipment and other items. Then there's the guy shipping to Fort Lauderdale and the shipper has to offload his boat in Gulfport to get to other cargo. One problem. Once they did that they couldn't legally put it back on the ship and bring it to Fort Lauderdale due to the Jones Act. It was taken the rest of the way by a Captain.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Mahimahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
We decided to charter.
The kicker was the freight price back home to NZ that was three times the price of getting our boat to Vancouver.

Very few boats available to charter for what we wanted to do.
We ended up with a Fathom 40 which the owner kindly relocated to Ketchikan for the start of our trip.

From there we headed north to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay before turning south and eventually handing the boat back in Anacortes.
59N at Margerie Glacier is the highest latitude on any of our cruising

All up around 1500 miles in a month.
Too many miles? Probably but a fantastic trip with so much wildlife and beautiful cruising grounds.

We were very lucky with the weather, a couple of wet days, a couple foggy and very little wind in an almost perfect month.
This picture from Mathieson Channel was pretty standard for the morning conditions.

We saw very few boats north of Cape Caution and even then not many until Desolation Sound.
SE Alaska is a remarkable cruising ground that is really very accessible.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Great shot of Mathieson channel. You are right, above Cape Caution the number of boats really thins out. Yes, boats bunch up at the fuel and provisioning stops up the BC coast and in SE AK, but otherwise not many cruising boats are up here. Seems like things changed after the 2008,9 recession in terms of running bigger boats long distances, at least in the PNW. Just an observation. .......

Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote