Cruising - lessons learned pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, having just completed a trip through the Bahamas from Tortola by way of the Dominican Republic to Florida I could have used several of your suggestions and will on our way up to New England. Mainship 34 Pilot. Joe

+1 on the Brita, lots of canned meats, label maker, Sharpies, and the email to guests telling them what to bring (and NOT bring!), and what to expect. We actually tell our guests to purchase travel insurance, on the off chance that something goes wrong on our end that means they can't come.

RE: dinghy theft - we spent 8 months all over the Bahamas and never locked our dink, and never heard of anyone having a dink stolen. We left it tied to the swim platform every night (unless we hoisted it onto the deck for an early a.m. departure), and for one three month period (when our Steelhead crane was inop) it was tied up every single night. I'm sure dinghy theft happens, and it has to happen only once to you to ruin your day (and maybe your trip), but I wanted to comment on your comment that dinghy theft is fairly common in the Bahamas. That's certainly not been our experience.

"Zip lock baggies – one gallon are great for left overs. We brought two boxes and could have used another two. They are expensive here. We are buying meats in large quantities and are freezing them in zip locks. "

One other thing you can do with the smaller size is use them to store eggs. We crack a couple dozen eggs into a large bowl then ladle them into a sandwich size zip lock baggie. Each baggie holds about 3 eggs. Freeze them flat and stack them in the freezer. Take one out for each omelet the night before and put it in the freezer so it's ready the next morning.

Also, since several states and Canada now allow recreational use of marijuana, it is still prohibited at the federal level. If a guest wants to bring some onto the boat, have him buy it in Canada if you're headed that direction. It's not worth it to try to sneak it across the border.

Back
Top Bottom