Cruising to Hawke Harbour, Labrador

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice video of a historic whaling station on the Labrador. Very few people get up to that part of the world and like you say it’s remote and rugged as is most of the Labrador. I was up there about seventeen years and at the time there were no charts or reliable sounding info. Landing our tender and stepping ashore was like stepping back in time, so silent and almost scary. I was able to find some books with some history explaining it was run by Norwegians basically cooking mink food.

I’d love to hear more of your travels up there. Your Fisher sounds like a great vessel for that coast but regardless you’re not just cruising anymore, not up there, it’s almost an expedition and nobody even in radio distance, is there ?

Rick

Attachments

• 16D37A56-448F-4423-B600-3F32D6B86E57.jpg
    16D37A56-448F-4423-B600-3F32D6B86E57.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 23
  • E695DAC2-F993-49AD-9036-7B547134C8C0.jpg
    E695DAC2-F993-49AD-9036-7B547134C8C0.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 6EB7AFF9-A620-4E57-A627-95EFF1CF6446.jpg
    6EB7AFF9-A620-4E57-A627-95EFF1CF6446.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 21
Hawke Harbour

Hi Rick:

Thank you for the message. The area is more civilized than when you visited there. Charts are better and we can get Coast Guard Radio for weather and help if needed. It is isolated and you definitely feel all by yourself up that way, but properly prepared it is a beautiful experience!

Cheers

Ed

thanks Ed for another wonerful,informative,peacefull video....

Ed to say I’m jealous of your ramblings on the Labrador is extremely understated. You have a nice vessel and a heart full of curiosity. Anyway I have to ask you a couple of questions here cause not sure how to access you otherwise. You made a comment saying that Hawkes Harbor was “ more civilized than when you visited “. Wondering what that means ? Is there a road, camps or settlements ? Please don’t tell me there are cruise boats and commercial activities. Did you see any sign of pickers or people robbing the site ? Are there cruise boats ?

I did a bit of homework on the machinery and the last Norwegian that ran it who was Capt. Johann Borgen (sp) but not much more. I also ran into two people in Cartwright and Makovik who had fathers and family who worked there but they have passed. Not much info but I didn’t have a lot of time. The vessel I was on made it up to Nain from there they had like seven or eight scientists and photographers for polar bear research in the Torngat. It was a National Geographic charter. I caught the mail boat back to Goose Bay then caught a plane to St John.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom