Cruising Guides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodne

I am looking to purchase a vessel in Nova Scotia. As we live on Vancouver Island, it will be a long haul on its own bottom, but that is the adventure that we are looking for. We have extensive experience cruising the Pacific side of USA, Mexico, and Central America, but have never been on the Atlantic side. Can anyone suggest cruising guides for the Atlantic down to the Panama Canal. We are thinking of running offshore as I am concerned about the ICW, as this vessel draws ten feet.

I am looking to purchase a vessel in Nova Scotia. As we live on Vancouver Island, it will be a long haul on its own bottom, but that is the adventure that we are looking for. We have extensive experience cruising the Pacific side of USA, Mexico, and Central America, but have never been on the Atlantic side. Can anyone suggest cruising guides for the Atlantic down to the Panama Canal. We are thinking of running offshore as I am concerned about the ICW, as this vessel draws ten feet.
Contact Crusty Chief he just finished that trip.

No guide I know of that covers that whole area, you are going to have to assemble a bunch of them.

10' in the ICW isn't going to work for sure. If you pick the boat up in NS, plan on spending some time there and on up to Newfoundland. Well worth the time spent.

With 6' you have to watch it carefully and mind the latest surveys (which can be found online). With 10' no need to watch, just stick it in the mud right now and call it done.

Are you planning on cruising and enjoying the East Coast or just running by it to get home?

There are lots of places to put in and enjoy, but a straight run outside is just one option.

Well, there is the other way back to the PNW... We met a couple this past summer that sailed the Northwest Passage from Sweden to WA. Talk about a trip of a lifetime!

Having been to the Arctic or ice edge more than a few times...one has to REALLY want to make that passage. I is not a given in a smaller vessel...it is a gamble....with great rewards if that's your thing.

If not...the tropical way has it's pluses too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom