Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
I developed a format for use in a spiral bound teak covered logbook that belonged to my dad, complete with a custom made brass plate on the front that has a line drawing of the boat and the name engraved. The sheets were duplex printed via laser printer on heavy paper, so they're indelible and have sequential page numbers. Office Depot will punch the pages and have the spiral gizmos to bind the pages into booklet form. I have a section for daily, maintenance, & fuel. When the pages fill, I can remove them and have an archive booklet with laminated covers to keep the older pages. We refer to it often when we're revisiting places, handy for planning or recalling details. Since we cruise with dogs (now dog), we kept a rating of how dog-friendly the stopover was. We log every day of travel, and additional when it seems appropriate. I can be anal with the best of 'em!
Wifey B: You certainly win for nicest cover.

New Person at Helm so now I'm here. Logs serve two purposes. One is all the info for the boat to know when what was done and when to do what and how much in between and all the other possible info. I think most of us have that in some form. Separately, we like what I'll call our diary. It's a log of when, where, and what we did. Sites we saw. Things we want to see next time. Restaurants. Plus details on the marina. While we mention marina on regular log book and put notes about it, in the diary is more the feel, the pleasure of being there. Notes about especially nice people working there. It's for memories and for next time. We always plan a next time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I use a spiral bound lined notebook about 5" x 8". I note the date, location weather, time of departure, I make a note about the location, like any problems or good points. A couple of times a day I'll note the engine RPM and speed, weather, and the time passing landmarks along the route. on arriving I'll note days mileage, the time and destination and any comments on anchorage or marina.
I also note phone numbers, I might need VHF channel references.
When I fill with diesel I'll note gallons used and price and usually work out the MPG.
I note any maintenance issues and ideas for future Boat projects or modifications. I also keep maintenace records in a separate binder.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I also use a 6x9 notebook. I have one page left after six and a half years. I used to write a lot more detail but now I usually just have engine hours and where we went. If we are going on a long trip I will write down times we pass landmarks. Probably as much to stay entertained as anything. I note guests or if we did anything interesting (as I said, I write less and less these days-we hardly have guests and "interesting" is subjective). I tape in things like receipts from overnights at marinas and ticket stubs (hockey, baseball) from events we attended on the cruise, so it is kind of a scrapbook.
Also record all fuel fill ups and oil changes in the log and in a spreadsheet. I also have a three ring binder with all receipts from work done (yard and mechanic) dating back to PO, plus the documentation, insurance info and some other paperwork on the boat.

What do you want to be able to refer back to? Do you like walking down memory lane and recalling details or are you more interested in fuel burn and maintenance records?

ENJOY!
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
Guru

Wifey B: I'm amazed at all the pen and paper. I'm assuming pen, could be pencil. And so little electronic. Generational I guess. We write nothing.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami
Another old schooler here. Been using those mystic seaport yacht logs for decades on sailboat cruises and they continue to work well for us with a few modifications. Each book covers 60 or so 16 hour trips or about 1000 hours of continuous running. We like to keep an hourly record of the following on any trips longer than 6 hours. Time, Lat/Lon , Course, distance travelled, watch person,fuel used true wind direction and speed, barometric pressure, sea state, sky, visibility, air temp, water temp, engine rpm, SOG, generator back end temp, gen exhaust temp, hydraulic oil temp, engine alternator temps and shaft log temps. There's also extra space for notes you might want to take in transit.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm amazed at all the pen and paper. I'm assuming pen, could be pencil. And so little electronic. Generational I guess. We write nothing.
A notebook can rest in a shoe box for a couple hundred years and still be good. What makes you think today's whiz-bang electronic technology isn't going to be tomorrows 8 track cassette?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I have a semi hard cover log book.
I usually record time, date, engine hours, fuel level at departure & arrival. In between, I record sea state, wind speed and direction, any problems encountered, and sometimes more detailed engine data if I'm monitoring something. (maybe temperature of exhaust or shaft packing, maybe rpm vs SOG)

I'm not obsessive about the log book. I might record measurements for projects, phone numbers, drawings, or ideas in it, but sometimes I write nothing at all during a trip.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't like to bring the laptop to the boat. Laptop is work. boat is fun. for awhile we used a software program on the laptop for navigation but that didn't last long. will use navionics on the phone or tablet as a back up though. those straddle the work / fun boundary.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
A notebook can rest in a shoe box for a couple hundred years and still be good. What makes you think today's whiz-bang electronic technology isn't going to be tomorrows 8 track cassette?
Wifey B: Ever heard of printing it out?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I don't like to bring the laptop to the boat. Laptop is work. boat is fun. for awhile we used a software program on the laptop for navigation but that didn't last long. will use navionics on the phone or tablet as a back up though. those straddle the work / fun boundary.
Wifey B: We're never without tablets. Right now on one while waiting for our food.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
To think that my descendants will have an accurate account of my holding tank pumpouts and oil changes is gratifying.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #32
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
To think that my descendants will have an accurate account of my holding tank pumpouts and oil changes is gratifying.
to make things really exciting you should keep some samples
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #33

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
What is this thing you call "paper" ?

if (!have internet)
Excel copy of google sheets
else
Update google sheets from Excel
Use Google sheets.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
What is this thing you call "paper" ?

if (!have internet)
else
Use Google sheets.
Allow me to make your pseudo code error proof:
if (power)
if (!have internet)
else
else
paper(log, map, food recipe)

Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #35
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Interesting replies.

For me, the log is 100% maintenance items. What it was done and when it's due. And all the little things in-between. I'm going to have to start longing the personal stuff, adding pictures... much for fun.

In several years, I could care less about the maintenance, but bet the personal stuff would be fun to read over.

All paper for now.

And, funny, but also log our flying experiences, all paper, and all details, personal, where we stopped, fuel prices, meals, who we met, weather and how we felt. Need to do that on the boat.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I just keep the basics for when, where and maintenance.

But I do log unusual items, such as time entering /leaving fog and energizing signals for legal reasons. Also if disagreements arise with bridges or other boaters. Any TF Hong needed to defend myself later.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I just keep the basics for when, where and maintenance.

But I do log unusual items, such as time entering /leaving fog and energizing signals for legal reasons. Also if disagreements arise with bridges or other boaters. Any TF Hong needed to defend myself later.
And this comment lead me to my next question.
Are you TFers maintaining incident logs? I mean if something happens, an noticeable event, either with some other boater but not necessarily, do you keep log of it or just keep memory of it? And if you log it what info do you log? Coordinate? details of the event? Other boat identity if any? what else?

L.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
What do you want to be able to refer back to? Do you like walking down memory lane and recalling details or are you more interested in fuel burn and maintenance records?

ENJOY!
For me, memory lane is more vivid in pictures......maybe with a caption to jog the memory.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #39
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
And this comment lead me to my next question.
Are you TFers maintaining incident logs? I mean if something happens, an noticeable event, either with some other boater but not necessarily, do you keep log of it or just keep memory of it? And if you log it what info do you log? Coordinate? details of the event? Other boat identity if any? what else?

Yes, all that info and whatever else comes to mind... not in a separate "incident log" but just right on the main log pages as necessary. Distress calls would be an example...

We routinely log starting/stopping engine hours, miles traveled, etc., crew list, destination, stops en route, fuel stops (gallons/tank, cost), some maintenance or repairs (but also keep an electronic log for that), etc.

But "incidents" are just highlighted for easier reference should that be necessary sometime in the future.

-Chris
Old 03-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #40
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I just don't have "incidents"... never have so I don't record them. I've lost engines, gone aground, had systems failures, etc, etc, but don't call them incidents. An incident would be something totally unexpected that might endanger the boat or the people on board. I just don't do those things..... <g>