Cruise to Hawaii and Possibly Tahiti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sashimi,

Actually a Banjer 37, might be a good fit. More of a motor sailer. Nice enclosed helm. Also ketch rigged. Not a lot of them stateside, but the prices are usually more than reasonable.
Banjers have a lot of glass down low. There are (were) two of them in Gibsons, BC, with a Fisher 34 in the same marina. Considerable difference in the design.

But I'm a sucker for a nicely restored Fisher.

Just read through this thread. Super disappointed as I was intrigued by the title. I’d love to do this trip someday.

I think the folks challenging the OP on how, who and with what largely offered useful suggestions and questions that should be considered and answered before a journey like this.

The folks with injections on why seem really small to me. Just because it isn’t on your list not sure why you’d ever attack another’s.

OP- I spend a fair amount of my free time in the mountains with some incredibly skilled adventurers. Not to get all Mallory here, but why isn’t ever really a question. However, when challenged with hard questions about skill, technique and tools the prepared are contemplative. The unprepared and unrealistic are defensive.

My two cents.

Just read through this thread. Super disappointed as I was intrigued by the title. I’d love to do this trip someday.

I think the folks challenging the OP on how, who and with what largely offered useful suggestions and questions that should be considered and answered before a journey like this.

The folks with injections on why seem really small to me. Just because it isn’t on your list not sure why you’d ever attack another’s.

OP- I spend a fair amount of my free time in the mountains with some incredibly skilled adventurers. Not to get all Mallory here, but why isn’t ever really a question. However, when challenged with hard questions about skill, technique and tools the prepared are contemplative. The unprepared and unrealistic are defensive.

My two cents.

The why comments appear to be related to the fact that while Hawaii is a great place to visit on land, it is a equally unimpressive place to be on a boat. I believe most probably felt there are other places to go that are better cruising grounds... hence why go THERE?
HOLLYWOOD

He answered that question, albeit with some unexpected tersness, on post #3. Because he wants to.

The why comments appear to be related to the fact that while Hawaii is a great place to visit on land, it is a equally unimpressive place to be on a boat. I believe most probably felt there are other places to go that are better cruising grounds... hence why go THERE?
HOLLYWOOD

Honolulu is just a fuel stop on the way to paradise!

Wifey B: Art needs to pay better attention. :rofl:

I bop in/out of this thread like pop corn on a hot griddle! :lol:

Trying ta keep up with genius pleasure boaters is sometimes a tough task... :dance:

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat: :D

I wouldn't even consider a wooden boat, or even any older FRP boat unless it's been proven several times on that run. Too many stories of older boats that seem sound until they get into some serious weather, then they are never heard from again.

TWISTED, what’s wrong with wood boats? I’ve heard rumors that one or two have crossed oceans in the last thousand years

Not according to Sushi!!
With all due respect, experience may be "key", but aptitude is like being able to pick locks.

Just watched a video on two brothers who bought a 44' sailboat in Honolulu and sailed to Port Washington. A bit of rain, cloudy skies and near-windless conditions around the N. Pac. High, but nothing any reasonably intelligent person couldn't deal with.

This isn't a trip around Cape Horn!!!

After taking all this in, I've concluded that trawlers just aren't the right type of vessel for what I want to do. I want to travel long distances, - passages - and as has been opined, a motorsailer, or sailing cat will go farther, and possibly faster than a trawler, cost less to acquire, "feed" and maintain. We'll get to Hawaii, then Tahiti, or, if we buy a boat in the Med, cross the Atlantic, though the big ditch and then Tahiti and surrounds.

I'll gain experience as I go, but there is no doubt that I will make it - lots and lots of people do. I have a reasonable amount of sailing experience, understand the principles and safe practices and will practice in local waters first.

If you HAVE to ask "why", there is no point in asking "why" because you'll never understand. Some here get it, many don't. For them, green is good enough, but for me, blue will do!!!!

Fair winds, following seas, and to those who offered good advice on boat/engine choice, and boat-related advice such as stabilizers, my gratitude is yours. For those who felt they had to go into the weeds.... well we'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Let me know when you leave.... I will notify USCG Airsta Barbers Point.... :)

Dude. You can't have your first thread go 190-some replies and then just bugger off.

Buy a boat and prove the forum wrong. Motorsailers are just trawlers with sticks on them, anyways. Auscan is still here; he has a motorsailer.

TF needs some liquidity in the thread content. Contrarians make for thread hits!

Marin's been gone for years. That man was downright eristic at times and I miss him dearly.

Last edited:
IMG_2485.jpg

Hi,

Very fine trawler, especially in the color of the blue Hull and white pilot house and other, something like my tug:D.

NBs

Much like my tug as well; actually exactly the same hull paint, Sterling Flag Blue.

But I erred in referring to it as the renamed Starr; it is actually the renamed Starship.

Dude. You can't have your first thread go 190-some replies and then just bugger off.

Buy a boat and prove the forum wrong. Motorsailers are just trawlers with sticks on them, anyways. Auscan is still here; he has a motorsailer.

TF needs some liquidity in the thread content. Contrarians make for thread hits!

Marin's been gone for years. That man was downright eristic at times and I miss him dearly.

exactly right. Internet is only 10% fact, and 90% entertainment. And the rule is "once past 5 pages, the facts go down, and the entertainment % goes up". :eek:

Didn't GG use this forum as her stepping stone to the rich and famous

Maybe because, like that part-time beekeper and shy New Zealander said, "because it's there."

Last edited:

No rich and famous for GG. She made her journey north though and spent one winter on the boat. Then sold it and off to other things. In following her exploits, I've concluded that she'll always have a new idea she's contemplating while being active in another but won't stay with the same thing long.

One thing she was warned about but never heard was spending the winter on a boat, with a large family, in Boston.

I think we were the side show or outlet looking for sympathy....

I thought she started first in Cruisers Forum.

With all due respect, experience may be "key", but aptitude is like being able to pick locks.

Just watched a video on two brothers who bought a 44' sailboat in Honolulu and sailed to Port Washington. A bit of rain, cloudy skies and near-windless conditions around the N. Pac. High, but nothing any reasonably intelligent person couldn't deal with.

This isn't a trip around Cape Horn!!!

After taking all this in, I've concluded that trawlers just aren't the right type of vessel for what I want to do. I want to travel long distances, - passages - and as has been opined, a motorsailer, or sailing cat will go farther, and possibly faster than a trawler, cost less to acquire, "feed" and maintain. We'll get to Hawaii, then Tahiti, or, if we buy a boat in the Med, cross the Atlantic, though the big ditch and then Tahiti and surrounds.

I'll gain experience as I go, but there is no doubt that I will make it - lots and lots of people do. I have a reasonable amount of sailing experience, understand the principles and safe practices and will practice in local waters first.

If you HAVE to ask "why", there is no point in asking "why" because you'll never understand. Some here get it, many don't. For them, green is good enough, but for me, blue will do!!!!

Fair winds, following seas, and to those who offered good advice on boat/engine choice, and boat-related advice such as stabilizers, my gratitude is yours. For those who felt they had to go into the weeds.... well we'll leave it at that.

Well good luck amigo! Yes, if I was gonna make ocean passages on a budget, a sailboat is the only way to go. And like you said, I would lean towards a motorsailor or a Cat. I am recently intrigued lately by sailing cats since the new ones have flybridges!!! I feel like I could have my cake and eat it too!!!

Trust me....if you were a moderator you would not!!!!....:banghead::banghead:;);):hide::hide::whistling::whistling:

Well good luck amigo! Yes, if I was gonna make ocean passages on a budget, a sailboat is the only way to go. And like you said, I would lean towards a motorsailor or a Cat. I am recently intrigued lately by sailing cats since the new ones have flybridges!!! I feel like I could have my cake and eat it too!!!
I am not sure about them. They have to raise the boom to clear them which moves the center of pressure higher up the mast, all other factors being the same. Also, some say they can become a bathtub quickly if the right.... I mean wrong, wave hits.

I do, however, believe the jury is still out on them. With auto-pilot, time spent at the wheel is minimal. Don't even need the wheel to tack - just hit the tack button and around you go!!!! They may be good or excellent near-shore when you are hand-steering, or at least monitoring and avoiding a lot of traffic.

It all depends on the sort of sailing you want to do.

FWAFS

Last edited:
I think we were the side show or outlet looking for sympathy....

I thought she started first in Cruisers Forum.

And she got more encouragement there or felt she did. They just said get behind the wheel and go do it while we tended to encourage training and use of a captain at first here.

I see Sashimi perhaps going there now that he's going sailing. There are those there who share his non-valuing of experience.

Last edited:
And she got more encouragement there or felt she did. They just said get behind the wheel and go do it while we tended to encourage training and use of a captain at first here.

I see Sashimi perhaps going there now that he's going sailing. There are those there who share his non-valuing of experience.
The mischaractization just doesn't stop.

I didn't say I didn't value it, I said that aptitude is more important.

Here is an example of what I refer to.

There was a time I was a deck officer on a steam vessel. Just for professional purposes, I went down to the engine room while underway. While there, the condenser started losing vacuum. I immediately knew to open the valve admitting steam into the circ-pump turbine. (we were operating on scoop-injection at the time). I hade ZERO experience in that or any other steam engine room, but instantly knew what to do because I have aptitude and a basic knowledge of how the systems worked.

That is an example of what I refer to. It is not necessary to have experience in everything if you have the aptitude and understanding to come up with the right answer "on-the-fly".

Some can and some can't. Some have to write down every little detail, others just need a bare skeleton of facts and flesh out the rest with.....aptitude.

Last edited:

I can appreciate his thoughts on can do spirit over experience....

But in reality, does the can do copilot have authority over the experienced, can do captain?

Does the can do first mate with 2 pacific crossings have authority over the can do captain with 130?

When my copilot with 2 SAR cases in 2 years of flying asked me if we were going to kepp going when my over 200 and 20 years of flying told me piece of cake...of course we finished the rescue.

To think "can do" ALWAYS trumps experience reminds me of debating a college student. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom