Have you considered a flight to Hawaii with Yeti Airlines

Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #162
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Guys can we go back to something more constructive ? This thread is turning to bashing each other what does not bring much to anybody.
Just my 2 cents...

L
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #163
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Guys can we go back to something more constructive ? This thread is turning to bashing each other what does not bring much to anybody.
Just my 2 cents...

L
Like he said, or the phantom of the opera, will have to intervene...
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #164
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I guess the first question is why?

At 5 knots that is 21 days cruising (24hrs/day) over a whole lot of nothing. Unless you have to deliver a boat (but since you haven't even bought one yet this is probably not the case), to me it seems easier to fly to Hawaii and then charter a boat there for cruising the islands. Same thing in Tahiti.
If you read my post more closely, you will see that I didn't tell you to do anything AT ALL. I asked a simple question, "why do you want to do this?" I did not say anything disparaging about your idea. I did the math and I ventured an opinion based on my experience in Hawaii that TO ME there seemed to be an alternative to sailing a boat for 2500 miles.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #165
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Like he said, or the phantom of the opera, will have to intervene...
Wifey B:

Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #166
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

HOLLYWOOD
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #167
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
"Oh Mr Hart,What A Mess":

But, it can be cleaned up.
[Pro Hart was a famous Australian contemporary artist. The St Bernard is called "Rembrandt", gotta love that.]
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #168
Veteran Member

City: Los Alamitos
Quote:
Just my 2 cents...

L
I agree wholeheartedly and ask that those with loads of smarm at the ready, check fire.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #169
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Elling Boats:

Really nice looking boats. Great finish and super materials. Salon, galley and state room layouts look a bit cramped. Down below for those features reminds me of being sequestered away in a sailboat with next to no sight capability for outside of boat.

I watched five [5] full videos of the E3 and E4 in use on the water. Showed a nice cruise at speed while in very calm water. In videos they never showed either mode Elling doing more than the slowest of speeds in choppy seas. So... I've no idea how they handle at speed in a good chop.

Please enjoy, Elling moves agile in the rough waters

And

3 Elling boats Cross Atlantic, Russian owner

They did not have any stabilization equipment ..

Elling would have been really spacious and otherwise nice but too much climbing to board a boat cok pit height about 5-6 feet, as well as landing in the salon and as the age becomes more barely agility grows and all the goods, food drinks move up and down before the fridge and stocks; selector for Nordic tugs.

NBs
Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #170
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

Slightly the same set ... Finlad-Africa water jet
Risto Piispa travelled 3k miles from Finland to Africa on a JETSKI | Daily Mail Online

NBs
Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #171
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
I guess the first question is why?

At 5 knots that is 21 days cruising (24hrs/day) over a whole lot of nothing. Unless you have to deliver a boat (but since you haven't even bought one yet this is probably not the case), to me it seems easier to fly to Hawaii and then charter a boat there for cruising the islands. Same thing in Tahiti.
Quote:
If you read my post more closely, you will see that I didn't tell you to do anything AT ALL. I asked a simple question, "why do you want to do this?" I did not say anything disparaging about your idea. I did the math and I ventured an opinion based on my experience in Hawaii that TO ME there seemed to be an alternative to sailing a boat for 2500 miles.
I agree. I thought the first post was a very fair query, and not smarmy in the least. https://www.bing.com/search?q=meanin...logo=CT3210127
Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #172
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
I am doing research on my own, but when you look at a boat listing, they don't really say things like "not suitable for the passage from CA to HI, so I have to take things I glean from other sources, and attempt to bounce it off of "experts" in places like this.

I'm sorry my serious and legitimate inquiry appears to be a trifling to you, but I assure you it is not. No offense intended.

Your suggestion re: the Atlantic will receive serious consideration.

I am in total agreement with you on full displacement, but any sailboat would have to have an enclosed cockpit or at least a Center Cockpit. Right now I have back-burnered that option (sail) to explore this one.

Any thoughts on the Hatteras LRC?
Ok
I'll save you the 5 years of looking, research and reading that I did.
If you have limited budget,meaning less than a million $, the Kadey Krogen 42 is your answer. Single engine, you can make 4+nm/gal which at 700 gal gives you 2800 nm. If you keep the rpms to 1400, your range will be 3500 nm.

It turns out the West coast USA to Hawaii is the longest passage you would have to do anyplace. I'm not interested because it's boring and once you get then then what? You are still a far way from anything.

Check out my blog, that may help.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #173
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Leg pullers (aren't we all) aside, there are several expensive (when new) power vessels under 20 meters that are purpose built for blue water travels. Many of these vessels hit the market within two or three years because the owners found they were:

-- not capable
-- not cut out for expedition type travels
-- not able to find suitable crew
-- underestimating the costs
-- getting bored
-- lacking time
-- getting old
-- filling their bucket list desire
-- with health issues
-- and in some cases loved it and sold the smaller boat to move up.

The market is littered with these discarded power vessels, now at much less money than new and in many cases lightly used.

Blue water capable sailboats equally litter the used markets, but at much less money. But like the now chastened power boat owners, dispirited, new and soggy sail boat owners are with a few more reasons to flee, lacking skills and athleticism and now understanding fear.
Yes. What he said too.

That's also why it took me literally 5 years, well 4 years, 6 months, to sort through the BS. There is a lot of it.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #174
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Posts 171, 172, 173 sum up my morning comments.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #175
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thank you Richard! Been hopping you'd show up. Experience is the key... and you have plenty of it!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #176
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Please enjoy, Elling moves agile in the rough waters

And

3 Elling boats Cross Atlantic, Russian owner

They did not have any stabilization equipment ..

Elling would have been really spacious and otherwise nice but too much climbing to board a boat cok pit height about 5-6 feet, as well as landing in the salon and as the age becomes more barely agility grows and all the goods, food drinks move up and down before the fridge and stocks; selector for Nordic tugs.

NBs
Thanks, NB! First video shows what I was looking for. Elling does move nice at speed in rough water.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #177

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Shashimi,

Having been offshore in a bad storm, I would not do it again in a powerboat. Not that there are not power boats that can do it, it's just that you get big real fast when going over the list of what boat has what capability.

You mentioned sail. Before I settled on a trawler I looked at sail for many years. If you want an aftercabin, the folks have mentioned the Fisher 37.
I also was fond of the Nauticat 37. (Anything that can do the North Sea, eh?)

I just don't see being in a production powerboat when the waves are as big as the boat.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #178
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Have neither experience nor aptitude, so nothing really relevant to contribute. But, I have done a lot of thinking about the posts in this thread since this is something I wouldn't mind doing if I were 20-30 years younger.

Some observations:

Would want to have a good autopilot and a good spare autopilot. 21 days at the helm isn't fun. Also, multiple sources of navigation.

What does one do for exercise on say a KK42 for 21 days?

Two engines would most likely consume too much fuel. Could get around the backup power fuel consumption issue by running one engine at a time or having a get home engine.

Will you really be comfortable going to sleep and leaving the steering on autopilot? If you plan on doing watches, the on/off schedule is really critical and difficult over a 21 day period.

Would not put any more financially into the boat than what I could comfortably afford to lose. Don't think a loan is going to hack it.

So, what do you do for entertainment? Sun rises and sundowns are great but there is a lot of time in between.

Be sure to have a good EPIRB, ditchbag and commo.

Would want to have fairly new batteries and also solar panels.

Water making? Stabilization? Both needed and translate to a fairly expensive boat.

It is complicated, isn't it?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #179

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Sashimi,

Actually a Banjer 37, might be a good fit. More of a motor sailer. Nice enclosed helm. Also ketch rigged. Not a lot of them stateside, but the prices are usually more than reasonable.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #180
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Thank you Richard! Been hopping you'd show up. Experience is the key... and you have plenty of it!!
Not according to Sushi!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Closed Thread