Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #141
Veteran Member

City: Los Alamitos
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
you just proved your inexperience in that statement.

it not usually weather that does crossers in by itself,... especially in power vessels.
My statement does NOT prove or disprove anything. Your attempt (failed) to weaponize it does, however........

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #142
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
We will see....

Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #143
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
Hi,

I am considering a passage from CA to HI. While I haven't nailed down the vessel type (power or sail), I am currently leaning toward power, and specifically the Trawler variety. I have considered sail, buth mono and multi, but the idea of an exposed cockpit doesn't really appeal to me.

I would try to cruise at about 5 kts to save fuel, and am asking if anyone has any advice on what size of boat would be appropriate for such a passage, multi or single engine, opinions on Mainship, Hatteras or any other suitable vessels.

What type of provisions (drums, bladders, jerry cans, inside or outside storage) etc., for extra fuel. What sort of fuel consumption can be expected for a boat large enough to be suitable would be at, say 5 kts.

Please educate me beyond what I have done for myself so far.

Also, any opinions on large engines running more slowly, or smaller engines running at a higher rpm re: fuel consumption. Turbo or NA, 71 and 53 series DDs. Any and all information on a suitable vessel/engine would be appreciated. I am all ears.
With all the excitement, I forgot the original question.
My answer is: a sailboat with a "non-exposed" cockpit. There, we are done. I think there is a different forum to work out the details.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #144
Grand Vizier

Quote:
We will see....
The one thing about the Coast Guard is that they go out when the Navy stays in harbor. Toughest of the tough, IMO, and Coasties get exposed to weather many of us won't see unless we seek it out.

The Hiscocks sailed around the world for 40 years and they say they never encountered winds greater than 30 knots because they simply didn't go someplace when the weather pattern was unfavorable. The worst weather we had, and the only time I hove to on the way to Hawaii, was in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. One of the reasons I liked the looks of Delfin is that I thought that powered vessel notwithstanding, she would heave to. And she does, quite nicely. You can go through a hurricane without incident if properly hove to, as the Pardey's did in the Indian Ocean.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #145
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As I said, weather is only part of it.

And less than the right boat, with the right preparations, and the right crew, all it takes is one hour of the wrong weather combo to take down many otherwise well found boats. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is what can get you. Thats why I have a thing about size, because a lot of seaworthy things are either there or are easier to install.

I did post it can be done in almost anything...but most powerboats under 65 and especially less than $200k for purchase and outfitting would not make my cut.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #146
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

And less than the right boat, with the right preparations, and the right crew, all it takes is one hour of the wrong weather combo to take down many otherwise well found boats. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is what can get you. Thats why I have a thing about size, because a lot of seaworthy things are either there or are easier to install.

I did post it can be done in almost anything...but most powerboats under 65 and especially less than $200k for purchase and outfitting would not make my cut.
Wifey B: Doesn't Pacific mean peaceful? Surely they wouldn't advertise falsely?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The one thing about the Coast Guard is that they go out when the Navy stays in harbor. Toughest of the tough, IMO, and Coasties get exposed to weather many of us won't see unless we seek it out.

The Hiscocks sailed around the world for 40 years and they say they never encountered winds greater than 30 knots because they simply didn't go someplace when the weather pattern was unfavorable. The worst weather we had, and the only time I hove to on the way to Hawaii, was in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. One of the reasons I liked the looks of Delfin is that I thought that powered vessel notwithstanding, she would heave to. And she does, quite nicely. You can go through a hurricane without incident if properly hove to, as the Pardey's did in the Indian Ocean.
Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated.

I share with you your respect and appreciation for the Coast Guard. Real Americans.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thank you once again.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Quote:
you just proved your inexperience in that statement.

it not usually weather that does crossers in by itself,... especially in power vessels.
In over a half-century in the world of productive endeavor, I have found that while it carries some importance, experience is not nearly as important as aptitude.

People with aptitude can run circles around people who only know, and/or can do, only what they have direct experience at. Time after time I have dealt with people with years of experience who could not for the life of them do anything beyond what somebody has let them by the nose through doing.

Yes, I'll take aptitude over mere experience all day long. Experience, to be sure, is a bonus, but aptitude will get someone through almost anything, direct experience or not.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #150

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Northern Sky
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Just another high horse DB. Your mockery is just about par for the course. GTH.
Nice job making friends. Iím sure everyone will be eager to help.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #151
Grand Vizier

I'm reminded of a fellow with the avatar of Rebel Heart, who posted on cruisersforum. He was planning a world cruise with his wife and two young daughters. He tended to be pretty contemptuous of anyone who had a different point of view to his own, and presented himself as a highly qualified mariner who knew what was needed to successfully navigate the oceans with his family.

As I recall, when he finally set out, he lasted about 1 week before one his daughters got sick and he abandoned his boat in preference to transferring to a Navy ship that spent a few hundred k rescuing his ill prepared rear end.

Stuff happens to the arrogant and unprepared, I guess.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Nice job making friends. Iím sure everyone will be eager to help.
A lot have, but some want to ride their High Horses at my expense.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm reminded of a fellow with the avatar of Rebel Heart, who posted on cruisersforum. He was planning a world cruise with his wife and two young daughters. He tended to be pretty contemptuous of anyone who had a different point of view to his own, and presented himself as a highly qualified mariner who knew what was needed to successfully navigate the oceans with his family.

As I recall, when he finally set out, he lasted about 1 week before one his daughters got sick and he abandoned his boat in preference to transferring to a Navy ship that spent a few hundred k rescuing his ill prepared rear end.

So true. Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #154
Guru

Quote:
In over a half-century in the world of productive endeavor, I have found that while it carries some importance, experience is not nearly as important as aptitude.

People with aptitude can run circles around people who only know, and/or can do, only what they have direct experience at. Time after time I have dealt with people with years of experience who could not for the life of them do anything beyond what somebody has let them by the nose through doing.

Yes, I'll take aptitude over mere experience all day long. Experience, to be sure, is a bonus, but aptitude will get someone through almost anything, direct experience or not.
Wifey B: And if someone like you with over a half century of not so productive endeavor has neither aptitude or experience, then where does that leave them?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #155
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
So your half century of productive endeavors now lead you to crowd sourcing for funds. Interesting.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #156
Guru

Quote:

Wifey B: And he still tried to defend his actions. So lucky they didn't all lose their lives, but especially the baby.

That's what newcomers don't grasp, how many times we've seen the need for rescues or seen lives lost due to a lack of respect for the sea. I continue to look to those with more experience than me for support and training.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #157
Guru

Quote:
A lot have, but some want to ride their High Horses at my expense.
Wifey B: I like high horses. You don't get as wet and muddy and scratched as on short ones.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Nice job making friends. I’m sure everyone will be eager to help.
This was the first response I received (except one from somebody on the Ignore list that I can't see).

Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I guess the first question is why?

At 5 knots that is 21 days cruising (24hrs/day) over a whole lot of nothing. Unless you have to deliver a boat (but since you haven't even bought one yet this is probably not the case), to me it seems easier to fly to Hawaii and then charter a boat there for cruising the islands. Same thing in Tahiti.

Instead of answering the questions I asked, he takes it upon himself to substitute what HE thinks should be the first question, for the actual question asked.

THAT is ARROGANCE.

I didn't ask for my motives to be examined or questioned or a substitute (flying to Hawaii) to be proffered, but Mr. High Horse takes it upon himself to impune the very idea of the trip.

I asked politely for help, and I get this sort of bilge.

Now you know why in some cases I was hostile.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #159
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Guys can we go back to something more constructive ? This thread is turning to bashing each other what does not bring much to anybody.
Just my 2 cents...

L
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #160
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Please stop.

Closed Thread