Cruise to Hawaii and Possibly Tahiti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with your adventure, Sashimi.

Having not done the trip, I can't offer much advice, although Alfamike seems to have some good suggestions.

To those poster who question why one would do a voyage like this, it's not worth answering. And I doubt I'd get an answer if I asked why someone would want to do the "great loop" in a boat with 2 TV's.

We all share an interest in boats, so that's a good thing.

Post #1 , just shortly made ago, stated power or sail.

Also an enclosed cockpit sounded like a must.

If money is no object, then power is easy.....

If it is, a motorsailer or sail with a hard dodger that csn be enclosed and heated or air conditioned would be my choice for that or a similar voyage.

I have never climbed k2, but have scared myself silly rescuing boaters all over the Western hemisphere.

I would be a lot less scared in a well found sailboat than 99 percent of power boats under 65 feet.

Sure it can and probably has been done in rowboats, but its also been attempted and taken the lives of or at least their boats of literally hundreds through the years.

I would start off with the better designed platform.....the Hatteras is named "long range", not necessarily "ocean crosser". Sure it can do it in the right hands, and a lot of luck.... but I still would never do it..

I would be a lot less scared in a well found sailboat than 99 percent of power boats under 65 feet. .

Leg pullers (aren't we all) aside, there are several expensive (when new) power vessels under 20 meters that are purpose built for blue water travels. Many of these vessels hit the market within two or three years because the owners found they were:

-- not capable
-- not cut out for expedition type travels
-- not able to find suitable crew
-- underestimating the costs
-- getting bored
-- lacking time
-- getting old
-- filling their bucket list desire
-- with health issues
-- and in some cases loved it and sold the smaller boat to move up.

The market is littered with these discarded power vessels, now at much less money than new and in many cases lightly used.

Blue water capable sailboats equally litter the used markets, but at much less money. But like the now chastened power boat owners, dispirited, new and soggy sail boat owners are with a few more reasons to flee, lacking skills and athleticism and now understanding fear.

Last edited:
Hi,

The new technical fibers are very cool.:whistling:

The Elling E 3, 4 and 6 boats use twaron fibers (2 layers) and give the boat an incredible endurance to run at tx: a container at sea, body damage, but does not pierce and the boat does not sink and is possible to run a repair dock. Slightly the same as the bullet vest. Elling is a great boat, but I ended up last NT.

https://youtu.be/ZShIw_XOZU0

NBs

Elling Boats:

Really nice looking boats. Great finish and super materials. Salon, galley and state room layouts look a bit cramped. Down below for those features reminds me of being sequestered away in a sailboat with next to no sight capability for outside of boat.

I watched five [5] full videos of the E3 and E4 in use on the water. Showed a nice cruise at speed while in very calm water. In videos they never showed either mode Elling doing more than the slowest of speeds in choppy seas. So... I've no idea how they handle at speed in a good chop.

:popcorn:

We visit Hawaii one or two times a year for a month to seven weeks, but I would make the crossing again in a boat in a heartbeat. True, there are very, very few anchorages worth the name and many of those you can find are pretty rolly. But the attraction, at least for me, is not the destination but the crossing. Endless horizons 24/7, watching even sunrise and sunset, calculating position with star sites (yeah, I know), good seamanship to ensure a safe passage, the intrigue of encountering another ship after days alone, etc. Something good happens to your brain when you are at Sea for a couple of weeks.

If great destinations are your thing, then the Pacific Northwest up to Alaska is about as good as it gets. Voyaging to Hawaii isn't about the destination, because it is a pretty indifferent one, but the voyage itself.

I would look for motor sailer. If you can find id - GulfStar would be good for it. I would look to GulfStar trawler too as the are full displacement. The fuel tank size could be the problem, but you can get a bunch of cans o add another fuel tank.

Quite honestly, after reading this thread for the last two days, I'm not sure what to make of it! :confused:

I'm still waiting to read some very basic facts from the OP, like:

What is the budget?
- $50,000? $5,000,000? somewhere in-between?

What is the OP's boating experience?
- Noting that you crewed on a roundtrip crossing doesn't really tell us much. Was this on a motor yacht, a sailing yacht, ship?
- Do you have single-hand experience on a powerboat or sailboat? What size? Offshore experience?

Seems to me, its very difficult to get meaningful responses without having these very basic background facts established.

Jim

As for long range cruising I would respectfully suggest you contact Richard who crossed the Atlantic twice regarding, type of boat, range, fuel storage, consumption etc.
Hawaii is a nice place but not that nice that I'd spend so much money to get there by boat, buy an air ticket and save your money for other cruises with much more interesting things to do and see.
We went once by air, so we've been there got the 'T' shirt and don't particularly want to go back again. Why spend so much on cruising a lonely blue/grey liquid desert ?
Think of your crew. if you're married now, you may not be when you come back.
Having said that its a free world, if that's what you wish then go for it.

I am familiar with Hawaii including Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, having lived thee for half a decade. It isn't the destination, per se, its the journey. As I've read various responses, I've softened on that particular trip, as well as limiting myself to the Pacific.

The crew will be myself, Mike (Iron) and, possibly, my wife, and perhaps the Skipper Too!!! However the boat will not be renamed the SS Minnow!! (Little Gilligans Island humor).

Thanks for your input.

Quite honestly, after reading this thread for the last two days, I'm not sure what to make of it! :confused:

I'm still waiting to read some very basic facts from the OP, like:

What is the budget?
- $50,000? $5,000,000? somewhere in-between?

What is the OP's boating experience?
- Noting that you crewed on a roundtrip crossing doesn't really tell us much. Was this on a motor yacht, a sailing yacht, ship?
- Do you have single-hand experience on a powerboat or sailboat? What size? Offshore experience?

Seems to me, its very difficult to get meaningful responses without having these very basic background facts established.

Jim

It's about the boat, not me. Adequate experience and expertise will be brought into the mix before whatever trip I take is taken.

Budget, perhaps $150,000 plus spares etc., Don't have a pile of cash, but a 401K. Will have to finance since I don't want to deplete that fund and pay a bunch of taxes on a massive withdrawl.

I have no single-handed experience except in day-sailing, and outboard fishing boats. Again, however, I am not asking for advice in that area at this point.

So I take it a Grand Banks 36 with a Lehman isn't the best choice!!!! Where's the Professor when you need him????

I would look for motor sailer. If you can find id - GulfStar would be good for it. I would look to GulfStar trawler too as the are full displacement. The fuel tank size could be the problem, but you can get a bunch of cans o add another fuel tank.

Thanks. I've considered a motor sailer, but most of them seem to be from and in Turkey or surrounds and made of wood. Thanks for your input.

We visit Hawaii one or two times a year for a month to seven weeks, but I would make the crossing again in a boat in a heartbeat. True, there are very, very few anchorages worth the name and many of those you can find are pretty rolly. But the attraction, at least for me, is not the destination but the crossing. Endless horizons 24/7, watching even sunrise and sunset, calculating position with star sites (yeah, I know), good seamanship to ensure a safe passage, the intrigue of encountering another ship after days alone, etc. Something good happens to your brain when you are at Sea for a couple of weeks.

If great destinations are your thing, then the Pacific Northwest up to Alaska is about as good as it gets. Voyaging to Hawaii isn't about the destination, because it is a pretty indifferent one, but the voyage itself.

WINNER, WINNER WINNER.
Someone who gets it!!!!!!

Last edited:
I love Wasabi!! Sushi too...
I knew a guy who, going to a sushi bar, saw a blob of wasabi molded into an ornate shape, and thinking it was avocado, gulped it down. He continued to eat sushi, but only with soy and ginger - no more wasabi for him!!

Last edited:
Good luck with your adventure, Sashimi.

Having not done the trip, I can't offer much advice, although Alfamike seems to have some good suggestions.

To those poster who question why one would do a voyage like this, it's not worth answering. And I doubt I'd get an answer if I asked why someone would want to do the "great loop" in a boat with 2 TV's.

We all share an interest in boats, so that's a good thing.
Thank you for your response. Good advice.

Post #1 , just shortly made ago, stated power or sail.

Also an enclosed cockpit sounded like a must.

If money is no object, then power is easy.....

If it is, a motorsailer or sail with a hard dodger that csn be enclosed and heated or air conditioned would be my choice for that or a similar voyage.

I have never climbed k2, but have scared myself silly rescuing boaters all over the Western hemisphere.

I would be a lot less scared in a well found sailboat than 99 percent of power boats under 65 feet.

Sure it can and probably has been done in rowboats, but its also been attempted and taken the lives of or at least their boats of literally hundreds through the years.

I would start off with the better designed platform.....the Hatteras is named "long range", not necessarily "ocean crosser". Sure it can do it in the right hands, and a lot of luck.... but I still would never do it..
Thank you for your sobering advice.

Hi,

The new technical fibers are very cool.:whistling:

The Elling E 3, 4 and 6 boats use twaron fibers (2 layers) and give the boat an incredible endurance to run at tx: a container at sea, body damage, but does not pierce and the boat does not sink and is possible to run a repair dock. Slightly the same as the bullet vest. Elling is a great boat, but I ended up last NT.

https://youtu.be/ZShIw_XOZU0

NBs
Interesting info.

Leg pullers (aren't we all) aside, there are several expensive (when new) power vessels under 20 meters that are purpose built for blue water travels. Many of these vessels hit the market within two or three years because the owners found they were:

-- not capable
-- not cut out for expedition type travels
-- not able to find suitable crew
-- underestimating the costs
-- getting bored
-- lacking time
-- getting old
-- filling their bucket list desire
-- with health issues
-- and in some cases loved it and sold the smaller boat to move up.

The market is littered with these discarded power vessels, now at much less money than new and in many cases lightly used.

Blue water capable sailboats equally litter the used markets, but at much less money. But like the now chastened power boat owners, dispirited, new and soggy sail boat owners are with a few more reasons to flee, lacking skills and athleticism and now understanding fear.
Bucket list is probably a huge part of the sitch.

I never was in combat, but have known many who have. There is something that being in such a fearful situation and surviving does for one's confidence and outlook on life. Perhaps that is a big part of the motivations as well. Having endured and ultimately not only survived, but prevailed!!

I don't want to croak, but I do want to put myself to a test of sorts, and to prevail on my own moxie.

Thanks for you response. I found it most insightful.

It's about the boat, not me. Adequate experience and expertise will be brought into the mix before whatever trip I take is taken.

Budget, perhaps $150,000 plus spares etc., Don't have a pile of cash, but a 401K. Will have to finance since I don't want to deplete that fund and pay a bunch of taxes on a massive withdrawl.

I have no single-handed experience except in day-sailing, and outboard fishing boats. Again, however, I am not asking for advice in that area at this point.

So I take it a Grand Banks 36 with a Lehman isn't the best choice!!!! Where's the Professor when you need him????

I have no long distance cruising experience, but my guess is that you will end up buying a boat, maybe doing a refit, get comfortable with her for a while, then do a second refit to make her crossing worthy.

Although this is only a guess, as I have limited experience on the power side of boating, I wondering if it is practical given your budget?

If you are open to sailing, then I would suggest (if you haven't already) pose the same thread on some of the other forums, like cruisersforum and sailnet.

Seems to me that you can nicely equipped, older, bluewater sailboat with your budget and still have a reserve kitty for expected (and maybe unexpected) boat expenses.

Jim

With a $150k budget, a well found mid 40ish sail boat with new rigging and sails seems the best bet. A 2,500 nm range blue water power boat already to go is minimally $200k, such as a KK 42.

It's about the boat, not me....

Sometimes we don’t know what we don’t know. Your statements above show that you have a lot of homework to do. Some of the responses here haven’t been advice you asked for, but they contain advice that you need. You just don’t know enough yet to realize that.

Relax and don’t be so easily offended. No one will criticize you for lack of experience. You will, however, do considerably better here and elsewhere in life if you lose the attitude. Good luck in figuring out what you might want to do and which ocean and boat you might want to do it in.

With due respect... in accordance to sentences I bolded.

Regarding first bold section: Financing a jaunt such as you describe could be problematic unless you have good sum of capital coming in the future or increased earning capacity in future years. Boat you purchase will drop in value and overhead costs while owning and/or traveling could get real expensive.

Second bold section: Speaks for itself regarding the scope of jaunt you describe. I suggest you prepare well.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I knew a guy who, going to a sushi bar, saw a blob of wasabi molded into an ornate shape, and thinking it was avocado, gulped it down. He continued to eat sushi, but only with soy and ginger - no more wasabi for him!!

Wasabi is not the only hot food additive I eat! I really like much of my foods greatly spiced up!!

Sushi has rice :eek: Enjoy sashimi with soy and wasabi :smitten:

Regarding first bold section: Financing a jaunt such as you describe could be problematic unless you have good sum of capital coming in the future or increased earning capacity in future years. Boat you purchase will drop in value and overhead costs while owning and/or traveling could get real expensive.

Second bold section: Speaks for itself regarding the scope of jaunt you describe. I suggest you prepare well.

I will, and I have confidence on my abilities to problem-solve. If not, well there is always the back-stroke, supplemented, occasionally, by the breast stroke, and my fav, side-stroke.

All humor (or attempts thereat) aside, thanks for your advice. I am aware of my need to gain experience, and intimate knowledge of the vessel, its foibles, strengths and systems before any serious cruise.

Wasabi is not the only hot food additive I eat! I really like much of my foods greatly spiced up!!
Try Maui Girl Ghost Pepper and Pineapple Hot Sauce. Hot enough for almost anyone. It kicks my behind, and gives me hiccups, but I've bought 3 or 4 bottles so far. Can't resist.

I am also considering a Go Fund Me campaign with the boat sold post-cruise, proceeds from sale and any sponsorship, advertising etc., being divided in proportion to donation.

I am also considering a Go Fund Me campaign with the boat sold post-cruise, proceeds from sale and any sponsorship, advertising etc., being divided in proportion to donation.

Now why didn't we think of that?

I'm rude to those who are rude or insulting to me. If people don't like it, they shouldn't be rude to me in the first place. I've been on many forums covering many topics from nautical to political. The forum-world is chock full of the pontificators and high-horsers.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get information on these forums because of the pontificators.

Your attitude brings out the worst in people, it seems wherever you go. Please add me to your ignore list, but don't bother responding to this, because you will be on my ignore list before you get a chance.

Wifey B: Now you're sounding more like the women I referred you to earlier. They're going for Go Fund Me. Last I looked they had raised $10. Really, you were clearly a clown and jerk before, but a Go Fund Me, sponsorship and advertising for your recreation? You clearly are just trying to be an irritant and jerk people around as you troll. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Who in the world reading your posts would give you one dime. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom