Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #61
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've found a California-Hawaii voyage much more enjoyable on a 900+-foot ship over five days compared to an imagined two-week trip in a cramp, rolling boat without a wine bar and cooked-to-order pizza or a four-star meal prepared by others and ice cream at whim.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've found a California-Hawaii voyage much more enjoyable on a 900+-foot ship over five days compared to an imagined two-week trip in a cramp, rolling boat without a wine bar and cooked-to-order pizza or a four-star meal prepared by others and ice cream at whim.
Well put Mark!

But, different strokes for different folks. This fellow seems bent on closely reviewing passage in a relatively small power boat. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill his personal desire.

I ask him to plan well, have best luck and take some pictures of what is interesting.

Good Luck - Sashimi!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #63
Veteran Member

City: Los Alamitos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Well put Mark!

But, different strokes for different folks. This fellow seems bent on closely reviewing passage in a relatively small power boat. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill his personal desire.

I ask him to plan well, have best luck and take some pictures of what is interesting.

Good Luck - Sashimi!
Thank you.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #64
Master and Commander

I most prefer sashimi over sushi!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimi View Post
Feel better now?
Sashimi,that`s unecessary rudeness and does you no credit. Your position is unusual, eliciting a range of responses, including disbelief. Sunchaser is senior, experienced,and knowledgeable, in life and cruising. An instant decision on a Hatt with DDs was odd,some people saw it as such. As may you now.
You are fortunate some members took your enquiry seriously, responding in detail,including issues you seem not to be across.
You`ll likely be rude to me, if you respond, though I seek no response.You`re new,there are members who deserve respect, and there are others. Please take the time to discover the difference, it could be to your advantage.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #66
Master and Commander

Quote:
Well put Mark!

Good Luck - Sashimi!
You're correct. I'm no longer young at heart.

Note, every time I come to this thread, I get a cruise-ship advertisement.

Which reminds me. On our first California-Hawaii cruise, we rescued three men who then abandoned their sailboat in mid-Pacific Ocean.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #67
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Wifey B: I don't like raw meat, especially fish, or cruise ships.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #68
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
You're correct. I'm no longer young at heart.

Note, every time I come to this thread, I get a cruise-ship advertisement.
Welcome to 21st Century "comuno-tech". Google's got you pegged!

Not too distant future, there will be chips implanted into people. First at discretion... then by mandate. Control is the name of the game!!

OMG

Please pardon the hijack. Now, back to Hawaii... long distance cruise!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Welcome to 21st Century "comuno-tech". Google's got you pegged!
True, but Adblock will get in their way.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #70
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A lot of people have done it. Look around on the internet for blogs or posts of folks who have made the crossing, read what they have done, in what boat and what problems, if any they had.
Good luck!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #71
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I don't like raw meat, especially fish, or cruise ships.
More for me!

Do you prefer long, open-ocean cruises in a small boat or disdain the idea of such a cruise?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
A lot of people have done it. Look around on the internet for blogs or posts of folks who have made the crossing, read what they have done, in what boat and what problems, if any they had.
Good luck!
Wifey B: One thing to keep in mind when reading. Only those who survived have written about it. Even those who had awful times doing it tend not to write much as they often leave all boating.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Good luck!
Thanks. I'll investigate.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sashimi,that`s unecessary rudeness and does you no credit. Your position is unusual, eliciting a range of responses, including disbelief. Sunchaser is senior, experienced,and knowledgeable, in life and cruising. An instant decision on a Hatt with DDs was odd,some people saw it as such. As may you now.
You are fortunate some members took your enquiry seriously, responding in detail,including issues you seem not to be across.
You`ll likely be rude to me, if you respond, though I seek no response.You`re new,there are members who deserve respect, and there are others. Please take the time to discover the difference, it could be to your advantage.

I'm rude to those who are rude or insulting to me. If people don't like it, they shouldn't be rude to me in the first place. While, as you assert, there are some that are very accommodating and informative, there are others who like to stroke their egos by dissing anyone they feel is less seasoned than they. The former I thank and respect, the later, well you saw a very mild form of my responses to them. I've been on many forums covering many topics from nautical to political. The forum-world is chock full of the pontificators and high-horsers. To be honest, it doesn't matter how experienced a poster may be, if they dis me, they should look for a return favor. I am not some punk.

I didn't really make an instant decision, I've been looking at this issue for months, and haven't really made a decision. Due to other information received later, I've abandoned the Hatteras, as well as DD's and may opt for a lesser cruise instead of Hawaii. I may even change oceans - am taking it all in.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get information on these forums because of the pontificators. Sure, they have their justifications and "reasons", but all it is is their own ego-stroking.

For example, I've been trying to figure out what FRP is. A Google search a week or so ago left me still confused, so I took the opportunity to ask here on the forum, and a high-horser unloaded on me for asking a question. I still don't know if it is just another word for fiberglass, or something different. Seems like a benign issue to be, but nonetheless a high-horser decided to stomp on me for having the temerity to dare ask.

Anyway, you know why and when I am "rude", and to be honest, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #75
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I believe it’s “fiberglass reinforced plastic”, and that’s my best answer, though I’m sure to be corrected on some point.
Rest assured that anything labeled as FRP is what we all refer to as fiberglass.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
I believe it’s “fiberglass reinforced plastic”, and that’s my best answer, though I’m sure to be corrected on some point.
Rest assured that anything labeled as FRP is what we all refer to as fiberglass.
All the definitions I read sounded just like fiberglass, so it appears it is just another name for that material!

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 AM   #77
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
What Alfamike said, Hawaii is not the cruising paradise that most people imagine!
It’s hard/impossible to find even a temporary slip on short notice, and the state is not just brimming with friendly bays and lagoons for moorings.
Stiff trade winds predominate the weather, making windward moorings undesirable, and though you’d think that would affect only half the island, the wraparound reduces good moorings significantly.
Swells are a big deal here too, predominantly north in winter and south in summer, and can make an otherwise beautiful mooring either totally inaccessible or a highly unpleasant place to hang on the hook.
That said, I’ve lived here most of my life, and have travelled extensively, but I always come back home because there’s no place in the world quite like it.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
All the definitions I read sounded just like fiberglass, so it appears it is just another name for that material!

Thanks for the clarification.
Wifey B: Google is your friend. Here's the link that comes up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-reinforced_plastic

So, it's Fiber Reinforced Plastic. Fiberglass is the most common kind, the fibers being glass. However, they could be other things. It's a composite. Fiberglass is FRP, but FRP doesn't have to be fiberglass, just it is in the realm of boats you're looking at. Now that I've shown you the technique for finding this answer, the teacher will leave the student to learn more.

Trying to follow your speed search for a boat, I gather Mainship is out. Hatteras was in but is now out, I can only assume because one person in the universe didn't like the engines or something.

I'd suggest you talk to two fine young ladies who recently had a time of travel involving Hawaii and Tahiti and are as misunderstood and have been as unfairly picked on as you have.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ths-35352.html

You might hook up with them and become a team.

Now, I'm taking my beads off and going to bed.

P. S. Boat recommendation. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013...y#.Wn_cgujwY2w
Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #79
Guru

Quote:
I'm rude to those who are rude or insulting to me. If people don't like it, they shouldn't be rude to me in the first place. While, as you assert, there are some that are very accommodating and informative, there are others who like to stroke their egos by dissing anyone they feel is less seasoned than they. The former I thank and respect, the later, well you saw a very mild form of my responses to them. I've been on many forums covering many topics from nautical to political. The forum-world is chock full of the pontificators and high-horsers. To be honest, it doesn't matter how experienced a poster may be, if they dis me, they should look for a return favor. I am not some punk.

I didn't really make an instant decision, I've been looking at this issue for months, and haven't really made a decision. Due to other information received later, I've abandoned the Hatteras, as well as DD's and may opt for a lesser cruise instead of Hawaii. I may even change oceans - am taking it all in.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get information on these forums because of the pontificators. Sure, they have their justifications and "reasons", but all it is is their own ego-stroking.

For example, I've been trying to figure out what FRP is. A Google search a week or so ago left me still confused, so I took the opportunity to ask here on the forum, and a high-horser unloaded on me for asking a question. I still don't know if it is just another word for fiberglass, or something different. Seems like a benign issue to be, but nonetheless a high-horser decided to stomp on me for having the temerity to dare ask.

Anyway, you know why and when I am "rude", and to be honest, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
Disappointing.
I expect you have issues beyond forums. A number of members responded to your thread with ridicule.
Your FRP question was answered by Lou Tribal. Another term is GRP(Glass Reinforced Plastic). Both are, colloquially, fiberglass. Most TF members would expect a past and intending ocean crosser to know that.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Much Sushi is made with Sashimi. Got Wasabi??

Closed Thread