Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Cruise in Alaska

Today I am sitting in Petersburg AK. My 84 year old mother and I are going to do a cruise with the company Un-Cruise, based out of Seattle. My Mom has done a bunch of cruises with them and this trip is a new for them.

The vessel is the Safari Quest, a 120’, 22 passenger, 10 crew vessel that I believe was one of Un-Cruise’s early vessels.

We will start here in Petersburg boarding the vessel tomorrow evening. From here we go to Kake on Kupreanof Island and then to the Kiku Islands for some kayaking. The next day it is the Tebenkof Bay Wilderness Area for more kayaking and hiking.

The next day will be in the South Baranof Wilderness Area for yet more kayaking and bushwhacking. After that, another day of kayaking in Chatham Strait/Frederick Sound.

Then next day will be interesting. We will be at Admiralty Island National Monument and will do a guided hike around this protected brown bear preserve. Not sure how I feel about this one as I admit to being nervous about getting too up-close and personal with brown bears.

If I don’t get eaten, the last place we visit will be Stikine-Leconte Wilderness Area to check out the Leconte glacier.

Then back to Petersburg and then a flight home.

I’m really looking forward to boating in these waters for the first time. One of these days I’d like to come to SE Alaska on my own bottom, but this will have to suffice for now. Amazingly, the weather forecast is really good. I was expecting rain and temps of 60 degrees. We might actually get sun and 70 degrees. It is really nice here in Petersburg today.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Have a good time Dave! Way better than a huge cruise ship. Went by your stomping grounds yesterday, anchored behind Raft Is, last night, tight squeeze under
Fox Bridge with 23 foot antennas. Tonight Penrose on a buoy. Will be in area till 28th
Don’t eat too much on the trip. Rogue
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Have a good time Dave! Way better than a huge cruise ship. Went by your stomping grounds yesterday, anchored behind Raft Is, last night, tight squeeze under
Fox Bridge with 23 foot antennas. Tonight Penrose on a buoy. Will be in area till 28th
Don’t eat too much on the trip. Rogue

If I wasn’t up here I’d take Kinship down and join you at Penrose. I like Penrose. I learned from another NP43 owner that you can squeeze in on the other side of that drying shoal to the SE of that line of buoys and there is nice anchoring there. Maybe not on a zero tide but a nice spot.

Enjoy the South Sound!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Off to Allyn tomorrow
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Have fun Dave, it sounds really great.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Sounds great Dave. Suzie and I are considering a cruise with them, let us know how you like it please.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hug a bear for me

Joking!

Well fed coastal grizzlies used to large groups of people hanging out in the same spot are fine...always hungry mountain grizzlies are another thing altogether.

Should be an amazing experience!!!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Murray,
I’ve heard a hungry black bear used to people is the most dangerous.
Think Yellowstone.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Have fun Dave. Petersburg weather is sometimes a lot different than Ketch. Slowboat has his group back in Leconte glacier and had some great pics. You will have a great time.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Sounds great Dave. Suzie and I are considering a cruise with them, let us know how you like it please.
Well, my Mom has done 4 with them already and keeps coming back for more. This is a new trip for them this year so we will see how it goes. Only 11 guests this trip.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Off to Allyn tomorrow

Have fun in Allyn! We spent 6 nights aboard in Fair Harbor over the 4th of July weekend. Love that area.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
If I wasn’t up here I’d take Kinship down and join you at Penrose. I like Penrose. I learned from another NP43 owner that you can squeeze in on the other side of that drying shoal to the SE of that line of buoys and there is nice anchoring there. Maybe not on a zero tide but a nice spot.

Enjoy the South Sound!

I also love Penrose -- it's probably our second favorite destination besides Eagle Island. The south sound is fantabulous!

For those that aren't familiar with the area, this was us, on our Catalina 30 years ago, on the drying shoal dhays is referring to.

We hit bottom on a falling tide, and had to wait almost 9 hours to float off again. No permanent damage to the boat, but lots to our psyche
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Well, my Mom has done 4 with them already and keeps coming back for more. This is a new trip for them this year so we will see how it goes. Only 11 guests this trip.
You've mentioned her trips with them before and they always sound very interesting. A large cruise ship holds no appeal to me, but this would be great. 11 guests is a nice number.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Murray,
I’ve heard a hungry black bear used to people is the most dangerous.
Think Yellowstone.
Around here, any bear used to feeding on garbage or fallen fruit in peoples yards is called a spoiled bear....spoiled, not like pampered, but spoiled, as in rotten/bad.

Wild bears are 'generally' more predictable, as was the grizzly that went crunching through the bush about 100' feet from our tent at dusk on Monday. We had hiked 17Km (11 miles) from the highway into the Seven Sisters Range on the Skeena River.

Didn't sleep well that night...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
I also love Penrose -- it's probably our second favorite destination besides Eagle Island. The south sound is fantabulous!

For those that aren't familiar with the area, this was us, on our Catalina 30 years ago, on the drying shoal dhays is referring to.

We hit bottom on a falling tide, and had to wait almost 9 hours to float off again. No permanent damage to the boat, but lots to our psyche
That shoal is a nasty surprise, assuming we are talking about the one parallel to the dock.

I found it many years ago in my Newport 27. Near the peak of a falling tide, I tried every trick, finally succeeded by dinghying a kedge out 90 degrees to the boat axis and leading it to the main halyard.

Got a standing ovation, although I suspect some of the watchers lost money!
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Around here, any bear used to feeding on garbage or fallen fruit in peoples yards is called a spoiled bear....spoiled, not like pampered, but spoiled, as in rotten/bad.

Wild bears are 'generally' more predictable, as was the grizzly that went crunching through the bush about 100' feet from our tent at dusk on Monday. We had hiked 17Km (11 miles) from the highway into the Seven Sisters Range on the Skeena River.

Didn't sleep well that night...
The advice I got when I lived in Alaska was that if you encountered a brown bear, it was because one of you made a mistake; that is, he is as surprised and displeased as you. A black bear, onthe other hand, will regard you as potential food and stalk you if feels the need.

I encountered a substantial black bear last week at a range of twenty yards on Esther Island in Prince William Sound. Fortunately, we were both visiting the fish hatchery...
Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Today I am sitting in Petersburg AK. My 84 year old mother and I are going to do a cruise with the company Un-Cruise, based out of Seattle. My Mom has done a bunch of cruises with them and this trip is a new for them.

The vessel is the Safari Quest, a 120’, 22 passenger, 10 crew vessel that I believe was one of Un-Cruise’s early vessels.

We will start here in Petersburg boarding the vessel tomorrow evening. From here we go to Kake on Kupreanof Island and then to the Kiku Islands for some kayaking. The next day it is the Tebenkof Bay Wilderness Area for more kayaking and hiking.

The next day will be in the South Baranof Wilderness Area for yet more kayaking and bushwhacking. After that, another day of kayaking in Chatham Strait/Frederick Sound.

Then next day will be interesting. We will be at Admiralty Island National Monument and will do a guided hike around this protected brown bear preserve. Not sure how I feel about this one as I admit to being nervous about getting too up-close and personal with brown bears.
Dhays,

Are you still cruising? I think I saw your vessel here in Sitka yesterday.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
That shoal is a nasty surprise, assuming we are talking about the one parallel to the dock.

I found it many years ago in my Newport 27. Near the peak of a falling tide, I tried every trick, finally succeeded by dinghying a kedge out 90 degrees to the boat axis and leading it to the main halyard.

Got a standing ovation, although I suspect some of the watchers lost money!
Is this shoal on the charts?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Not really, the dock and the shoal are at lower left, just about where it says "2 fathoms".
Attached Thumbnails
shoal-1.JPG  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Here's what it really looks like: