Cruise.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will never see a cruise ad showing rough seas, howling winds and water sloshing out of a swimming pool, glasses and dishes flying around the cabin and passengers, turning green.

Seems the cruise industry relies on the 6:30 national nightly news to provide a real sea education to consumers. Of course, millennials don't watch the news.

I feel strongly that any problems experienced by the passengers were based in their expectations. I didn't see anything in the video that was the slightest bit alarming, You've got to be kidding but I understand why some passengers would be upset. Hell, I don't sweat heavy weather while flying but I've certainly seen people crying and praying in flight. I've worked aboard passenger ships and have certainly experienced some significant weather. What determined the outcome of the cruise was the expectations of the passengers. And what's wrong with that? The ship in question sustained no damage and no one was hurt.

Really?
You think that just because the ship encountered weather the line owes something to the passengers? Negligence on the part of the line? Yep! They didn't die, or suffered life threatening injury. Who in their right mind goes to sea in a ship and doesn't think that there could be adverse weather?. Yes it wasn't fun but Marge and Bob from Nebraska got a story they can share for the next few months. Doesn't seem like Bob and Marge wanted to share horror stories. I would be surprised if when you step aboard a ship that you absolve the Line from weather related legalities.
The sheep on the ship likely felt threatened out of lack of knowledge of the sea and the capabilities of the ship. Seems like the crew didn't know much either, but we expect them to.
HOLLYWOOD

Why do people think cruises are so much cheaper during November to March ??

If the passengers estimated 30 foot seas....they were probably 20 feet. A brand new, 145,000 ton, 1063 foot long ship was not in danger. You're right, ships don't sink.

If you go on a ski trip, you deal with cold weather. We want cold weather.
If you go to Florida in the summer, you deal with rain. It rains every day in Florida summers.
If you go on a cruise ( especially in the winter ) you deal with the ocean. Yes, but we don't expect it to be a ride in a blender.

Anyone on a cruise who doesn't realize that those conditions are possible has their head in the sand. But does a passenger really want to experience them?

For every passenger that complained about the conditions, there would have been 5 who complained if they altered course and got back a day later. I'd be surprised.

Guys,
In a commercial operation, the crew is held to a higher standard and has an obligation to provide a safe and reasonable comfortable ride. Same as in a plane, bus or cab. Is this case, they sure could have avoided it by simply not venturing into the known storm. Yes, the Captain was negligent. And once in the storm, it was clear that they were not prepared.

It's certainly not fair to require the passenger to be an expert on sea conditions and weather and calling them sheep because they are not experts is totally inappropriate. And while a delay by turning around would not be the choice of a few passengers, that's on thing that most all passengers on any form of transportation understand.

And trauma is not an injury?

Guys,
In a commercial operation, the crew is held to a higher standard and has an obligation to provide a safe and reasonable comfortable ride. Same as in a plane, bus or cab. Is this case, they sure could have avoided it by simply not venturing into the known storm. Yes, the Captain was negligent. And once in the storm, it was clear that they were not prepared.

It's certainly not fair to require the passenger to be an expert on sea conditions and weather and calling them sheep because they are not experts is totally inappropriate. And while a delay by turning around would not be the choice of a few passengers, that's on thing that most all passengers on any form of transportation understand.

And trauma is not an injury?
As a 26 year Navy veteran, I still haven't figured out why people pay $ for sea duty. Unless it's their own boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom