Old 04-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #41
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post

I just went through the ArriveCAN app. It's no sweat, except that it wants to know BC address where I will be quarantining - not just "on my boat". The CBSA agent said to enter the address of the marina where I check into BC.
It is a land based Q&A thus address, the CBSA guy was showing you how to get around that.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I just uploaded my info. First it wouldn't let me take a pic of my NEXUS card.

Then how do you go back and edit say your arrive date has changed?

This app needs some work. I think it is an app for Canadians and not others. Just my guess.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I just uploaded my info. First it wouldn't let me take a pic of my NEXUS card.

Then how do you go back and edit say your arrive date has changed?

This app needs some work. I think it is an app for Canadians and not others. Just my guess.
Well just got my question answered via an email I got from the system. If I submit another request, the system deletes the previous submissions when it creates a new on.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:51 PM   #44
Guru

Below is a Nortie, Nutmeg, that went through Customs today. Good luck everyone.

Dear NOG Members,*

We recently left Anacortes on our way to Ketchikan via the Sidney, BC, customs dock.**We presented the following:

Float Plan: Date, From, To, Alternates. We did this on a spreadsheet with one line per day.*

Crew Manifest with: Legal name, DOB, passport #, drivers license #, Nexus # (if applicable) and covid status

ArriveCan (get the app) We didn’t know what to list as a quarantine address in Canada so we put our boat name down and Sidney, BC. After submitting the required information, we printed two copies of the ArriveCan Receipt with Arrival Code.

Our Experience:
We flew the Canadian courtesy flag and later learned we should have also flown the Q (quarantine) flag.
We departed Anacortes at 6:50 am and arrived at Van Isle Marina, Sidney, BC, to clear customs at 11:15 am at the call-in station on the far end of the fuel dock. We donned our masks prior to docking.*
Lee went on the Customs dock to use their phone (bringing all of our paperwork including our US registration number). Two agents were nearby and took over after his call. We stood on the boat and they stood on the dock. They were interested in our vaccine cards. We handed them copies of our float plan, crew manifest, and ArriveCan number.*
They seemed pleased to get the float plan and to know that we were going directly to Alaska. We planned to only anchor en route and were full of fuel and provisions to last through Ketchikan. They asked why we were going to Alaska and we said recreation. They asked us to use a direct route through BC. They also said Mounties may come see us while on the trip through BC.*We have yet to see any horses on the water though.*
They asked standard questions about alcohol, drugs, animals, tobacco, food, firearms, and bear spray.**They went over standard covid health questions and asked us to wear a mask if we stopped.*
They requested we fly the Q (quarantine) flag and to expect a phone call or email from Health Canada while we transit.
We were cleared and in and out of Van Isle in 45 minutes. Overall, they were pleasant while doing their jobs. As everyone should be aware, customs experiences are highly variable particularly in our current covid times.*

We welcome a visit by any fellow Nordhavn owners in Alaska this summer.*
Julie and Lee Wyatt
Nutmeg, N6236
Old 04-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #45
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction
Below is a Nortie, Nutmeg, that went through Customs today.
WOW, that is just AMAZING!
I didn’t know an N62 was capable of getting up on plane, clearing customs and covering 250 NM in 10 hours. Good Lord, that’s an average of 25 knots. Astounding.

Oh wait, I see Nutmeg cleared Canada Customs on Monday, not “today” (Thursday).

Monday night, Clam Bay.
Tuesday Night, Nanoose Bay.
Wednesday night, Discovery Harbour.
Thursday night Port Alexander.
The vessel departed from PORT ALEXANDER, CA on 2021-04-16 06:18 LT (UTC -7).

And I guess this…
Quote:
We flew the Canadian courtesy flag and later learned we should have also flown the Q (quarantine) flag.
Makes curry out of this…
Quote:
No requirement to fly flag.
BTW, the open note to the Nordhavn Owners Group is a great demonstration of due diligence, record keeping and most importantly, an appreciated humble courtesy.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
WOW, that is just AMAZING!
I didn’t know an N62 was capable of getting up on plane, clearing customs and covering 250 NM in 10 hours. Good Lord, that’s an average of 25 knots. Astounding.

Oh wait, I see Nutmeg cleared Canada Customs on Monday, not “today” (Thursday).

Monday night, Clam Bay.
Tuesday Night, Nanoose Bay.
Wednesday night, Discovery Harbour.
Thursday night Port Alexander.
The vessel departed from PORT ALEXANDER, CA on 2021-04-16 06:18 LT (UTC -7).

And I guess this…

Makes curry out of this…

BTW, the open note to the Nordhavn Owners Group is a great demonstration of due diligence, record keeping and most importantly, an appreciated humble courtesy.
Well I got the email yesterday.

So all your predictions of americans crossing the border have proven to be false.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #47
Guru

Absent Soin2la's comments, it appears crossing the border will be a non-event so long as you have the proper documentation.

Al, Alaskan Amber please. You might be able to get some from Ken E, but it might be aged!! Lol
Old 04-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #48
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Crossing through Canada is one thing, but not likely in our future. Any news on entering Canada from the Great Lakes?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #49
Guru

Latest on Althea Border Crossing

The following is an update on Althea. They are now in K-Town.

Responding here to a couple of issues. We are comfortably tied to a dock in Ketchikan. We have been blessed with really good weather the entire trip. We had only one weather day at anchor. Otherwise, a comfortable 12 day passage from Reid Harbor to Ketchikan.

Directly from the Canadian border crossing info web site. Bold is mine.

You currently cannot enter Canadian waters for optional reasons, such
as:
touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing
You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in
transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside
Canada, if the transit is:
direct
continuous/uninterrupted
by the most reasonable route
Mandatory masks and physical distancing during transit
Anchoring and quarantine requirements
You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it
becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest
before safely continuing your trip.
If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your
vessel or boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel
until you are ready to resume your trip.
Mandatory quarantine

That same information is repeated at the end of every weather broadcast from canadian weather on VHF. So...... those are the words we used on our float plan. We started with the name of the boat, documentation number, description. Who we are with our passport numbers. Then went to the Purpose of the trip, for which we used the words above. We are transiting canadian waters to take our boat (home) to alaska directly, continuous/uninterrupted. ....

We then listed our planned itinerary, day to day and we put in two weather days.

We listed our fuel capacity, our estimated fuel consumption (ended up being about 250 gallons), that we have 400 gallons of water and water maker, and adequate food for the passage.

We reported using arrivecan app the day before arrival in Van isle. We called the morning of arrival. The person on the phone is in ottowa. She took info told us that the "final decison" regarding our ability to pass through would be made by agents in Van Isle. We called cbs back as we were pulling up to customs dock at Van Isle. We tied up and waited for agents (about 30 minutes). They stood on dock, looked at our documents, took a copy of our float plan, asked about provisions, alcohol, firearms. They did hot come aboard. They explained all the rules. They said they understand that people need to get through Canadian waters and stopping for water, fuel, safety is allowed. We were advised that RCMP patrol boats are out there and might check that we were following the rules. (On the way up, we encountered (all seen on AIS), large RCMP patrol boats at anchor, seemingly at station. We were not contacted by any of them.

We flew a yellow quarantine flag and a Canadian flag from our spreaders. We did not fly an American flag while in Canada.

Our passage was really perfectly boring.....which is what one wants of a sea voyage. We found safe and EMPTY anchorages all along the way. The empty part is notable.... because it means there is no competition for good places to anchor in some popular places and there are no other boats to worry about. Having said that.... humans are social animals and it was a bit strange to be so alone for so long. We saw one other "pleasure boat" the entire passage and considering all vessels, once we got beyond seymour narrows, we saw perhaps 50 boats total of all descriptions. Its empty out here.

Sadly, Ketchikan is quite shut down. All shops are closed. Bars and some restaurants open. Safeway open. Pretty depressing really.

Here is what our trip actually looked like:

Day 1: Anacortes to Reid Harbor

Day2: Reid Harbor to Van Isle, then Silva Bay (Gabriola island)

Day 3: Rough weather, pulled into Nannoose bay

Day 4: Nanoose Bay to Gowland Bay

Day 5: Gowlland through seymour narrows up into the Broughtons to Waddington Bay

Day 6: Waddington through through sutlej channel, through wells passage to shelter bay

Day 7: Shelter bay around cape caution. Swell 1.8M. This was the most uncomfortable part of the trip. We would have waited but the weather looked to be deteriorating and we wanted to get around cape caution. Turned out that was a good call. We know weather was going to be bad, so we anchored in Fry Pan anchorage on NE side of penrose island. We had been there before in our last boat. We spent two nights there riding out wind and snow storm. Very well protected.

Day 8: Weather day at ancho

Day9: Penrose island to Strom Bay

Day 10: Strom Bayt to Khutze inlet

Day 11: Kutzhe inlet to Kumealon Island Cove

Day 12: Kumealon Island to Brundidge anchorage on Dundas Island.

Day 13: Dundas to Ketchikan

VHF coverage for weather everywhere.

Cell coverage non existent until we got near Bella Bella, Klemtu, Prince rupert

So... I think that answers most of the questions that were asked.

Sitting in Ketchikan trying to decide..... what's next?

Peace

Jim and Paige

Althea

Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas
Any news on entering Canada from the Great Lakes?
As has been the case for over a year, "entry" to Canada has been banned for all but essential travel and transiting through form one US state to another. I can't see any state to state travel on the Great Lakes that would involve entering Canada, even in skinny locks and waterways.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Latest on Althea Border Crossing
Day 3: Rough weather, pulled into Nannoose bay
Previously Nanoose was not a usual stop but it seems a lot of AK bound boats are making it their first overnight anchorage.

Also interesting how many "small" US flagged cruise ships are running up the coast from WA since the big ship ban. Since Friday, four have passed through Queen Charlotte Strait.

It also looks like Nutmeg, the N62 will cross into AK today or at least overnight in PR.

Their run should be a model; 7-8 days at an average og 5-7 hours and an average SOG of 9 knots.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #52
Guru

I was told nutmeg had to call the WG station for permission to anchor in Nanoose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Previously Nanoose was not a usual stop but it seems a lot of AK bound boats are making it their first overnight anchorage.

Also interesting how many "small" US flagged cruise ships are running up the coast from WA since the big ship ban. Since Friday, four have passed through Queen Charlotte Strait.

It also looks like Nutmeg, the N62 will cross into AK today or at least overnight in PR.

Their run should be a model; 7-8 days at an average og 5-7 hours and an average SOG of 9 knots.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction;
I was told nutmeg had to call the WG Station for permission to anchor in Nanoose.

I think you might be referring to the earlier posr of Nutmegs email to NOG, where they said that in reference to Winchelsea Control.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
The private marina. I think the wait list on the public marina is over 15 years. Just happy to be able to get one. Now I have to figure where to get winter storage on the hard in Seward. Pretty busy there I understand. None of the obvious choices got back to me.
We moved from Whittier to Seward when we bought our last boat.

I was in Whittier city harbor for a decade, and worked (and lived) there week on-week off for six years.

Far happier in Seward hands down. Not even a comparison to be in a real town with real stores and reliable services that are not owned by, or employ methanphetemine addicts.

BTW it takes me 1 hour 30 minutes almost exactly from the time I pass the portage turnoff to be at the dock in Seward. On average that's about an hour more and if you are not just right for the tunnel, about the same time it took to get to Whittier.

I shovel my boat once or twice a winter in Seward, and enjoy much sunnier weather year round.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #55

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I like Seward better too but the distance just doesn’t work for me. Normally we are out of the marina in an hour or less so not spending too much time there. The tunnel creeps me out a bit but that’s life.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:24 AM   #56
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
For those travelling soon, it would be prudent to keep an eye on further Provincial restrictions coming to BC on Friday. They may not affect transit, but who knows. The laws are pretty inconsistent.

Theoretically, I can travel 70nm to Vancouver by boat, but I cannot go 20 some miles and drop the hook in Roscoe Bay, Cortes Bay, or Refuge Cove, as it is in a different Health Authority.

Maybe check this link from time to time. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions

And be aware of the different health authorities:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/da...boundaries.pdf

A transit goes through three or potentially four different health authorities. While you may be permitted by federal law, you may be violating provincial law, and subject to a fine. They apparently are giving LEOs the right to check residency randomly.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
So all your predictions of americans crossing the border have proven to be false.
I’m not sure what that comment is about, but in any case, the na-na-na-na might be a little premature.

Following on NS’s timely post, three months is an eternity in COVID time and who knows, you may not be able to come back south later on.

And lest anyone think the BC has no jurisdiction over transiting boaters, they can compel marinas and fuel docks to refuse nonresident pleasure boats, as they are about to do with RVs.

Have you been up the Snake River lately?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
For those travelling soon, it would be prudent to keep an eye on further Provincial restrictions coming to BC on Friday. They may not affect transit, but who knows. The laws are pretty inconsistent.

Theoretically, I can travel 70nm to Vancouver by boat, but I cannot go 20 some miles and drop the hook in Roscoe Bay, Cortes Bay, or Refuge Cove, as it is in a different Health Authority.

Maybe check this link from time to time. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions

And be aware of the different health authorities:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/da...boundaries.pdf

A transit goes through three or potentially four different health authorities. While you may be permitted by federal law, you may be violating provincial law, and subject to a fine. They apparently are giving LEOs the right to check residency randomly.
Thank you for the update and info. I received the following from the USCG, mostly regarding Tribal lands and marinas. I called the USCG, Sector Seattle and asked if it was permitted to anchor in Neah Bay. Answer was yes, the Bay is not tribal.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2ce0a79
Old 04-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #59
Guru

From Waggoner Guide today

Hello TFs

I got this for posting today. It’s the most up-to-date info re crossing BC at this time. There is also a link to a free webinar tomorrow...

Transiting through B.C. waters, the Covid-19 protocols we recommend, a how-to and the realities of making such a journey is the topic of discussion on May 6th at 7 p.m. PDT, hosted by Waggoner and NMTA (Northwest Marine Trade Association), with guest speaker Craig Norris from Victoria International Marina of British Columbia. If you are thinking about transiting B.C. waters to cruise in Southeast Alaska this summer, don’t miss this special Zoom Webcast. To register go to https://waggonerguide.com/seattle-boat-show-live/. Interested boaters will also want to read Waggoner’s recent article entitled “Transit-Through B.C. Waters – The Harsh Reality” found at www.WaggonerGuide.com.
Waggoner and NMTA keep boaters informed with their weekly, Thursday evening zoom webcasts covering a variety of boating topics. Webcasts are recorded and previous shows can be viewed at your convenience. Join us live on May 6th and bring your questions for Zoom
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hello TFs

I got this for posting today. It’s the most up-to-date info re crossing BC at this time. There is also a link to a free webinar tomorrow...

Transiting through B.C. waters, the Covid-19 protocols we recommend, a how-to and the realities of making such a journey is the topic of discussion on May 6th at 7 p.m. PDT, hosted by Waggoner and NMTA (Northwest Marine Trade Association), with guest speaker Craig Norris from Victoria International Marina of British Columbia. If you are thinking about transiting B.C. waters to cruise in Southeast Alaska this summer, don’t miss this special Zoom Webcast. To register go to https://waggonerguide.com/seattle-boat-show-live/. Interested boaters will also want to read Waggoner’s recent article entitled “Transit-Through B.C. Waters – The Harsh Reality” found at www.WaggonerGuide.com.
Waggoner and NMTA keep boaters informed with their weekly, Thursday evening zoom webcasts covering a variety of boating topics. Webcasts are recorded and previous shows can be viewed at your convenience. Join us live on May 6th and bring your questions for Zoom
Is it tomorrow or May 6th at 7 pm?