Crossing Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Anyone crossed lately? I have heard that the level is a couple of feet below normal. I have looked at the Corps site and it looks fine.

It's down a few tenths of an inch below the unrestricted locking level. At their discretion, they may go to a more limited schedule to save water. Non of this effects safe passage across the lake. Probably want to avoid the rim canal.

Ted

I am planning on crossing the lake in a couple months so I'm interested in the responses.

One of the bridges on the rim route was closed a while back but the schedule had it reopening by now. I haven't looked to see if that is true.

A friend is crossing right now and he hasn't reported any difficulties.

I am planning on crossing the lake in a couple months so I'm interested in the responses.

In a couple of months, the rains (monsoons) could kick up and the lake level could be higher than now. But we have had a real dry winter and early spring. There was some relief yesterday in North Florida but that won't impact Lake O.

In a couple of months, the rains (monsoons) could kick up and the lake level could be higher than now. But we have had a real dry winter and early spring. There was some relief yesterday in North Florida but that won't impact Lake O.

Thanks. I don't have to cross the lake, it's just a recreational cruise from home to somewhere and back. If the lake is not crossable for me, I'll just continue south on the ICW.

It looks like an enjoyable trip and a visit to SW Florida seems nice as well.

We crossed a couple weeks ago no problem.

No Issues I crossed a couple of weeks ago however found in to be very boring the water is ugly kinda like a milk shake and not much to see!

In a couple of months, the rains (monsoons) could kick up and the lake level could be higher than now.
Couple of months? It can change significantly in a couple of weeks! It can change enough in a couple of days to make a difference. You just have to check on conditions very, very shortly before you go. Finding out what it is like months before you plan to leave is not really helpful.

Thanks everyone. We plan to cross this weekend after spending a couple of nights on River Forest's transient dock.

Why pay when my dock is FREE?

We are the next canal going East.

Visitors always welcome.

Anyone crossed lately? I have heard that the level is a couple of feet below normal. I have looked at the Corps site and it looks fine.
I crossed on Thursday, yesterday, and it was fine. Will do again tomorrow. Even though the government website says lake is below the 12.5 feet where the locks are supposed to be on an every 2 hour schedule, they weren't. They opened normally, on demand. Our trip from cape Coral to Stuart took 11 hours over 2 days. Cruised at around 15 it's except for no wake and slow zones.

Have a friend who has crossed the lake a dozen times. She just completed the rim route. Found it to be quite shallow and does not recommend it

Tomorrow from River Forest. Great place with Boat US discounts.

I went across on the#1 route. No issues.

I'll be crossing sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks. What is the rim route vs. the across? I can see the rim on the Waterway Guide, around the south side, but not any other routes.

And what is route 1 vs any other routes.

On my way back, we grounded the boat in the rim channel on the West shore of lake o. This channel is very shallow, we grounded in 2 Dr of water 15 feet from shore. I would not tkake this route again until lake levels came up. If you so, make sure you stay in deep water. Usually the center of the channel. But not always.

ljk. You could have stoped with "I would not take this route again". Personally I have taken it a few times and seem to hit something down under, luckily no damage.

I just spoke with the local guy who is routine me home. He boats in a small bass boat. He said whenever lake o gets below 13.5 feet, he gets very cautious.

Lake O has been below 12.5 feet for at least a couple of weeks now. Not a good idea for non- locals to be navigating the rim canal!

I'll be crossing sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks. What is the rim route vs. the across? I can see the rim on the Waterway Guide, around the south side, but not any other routes.

And what is route 1 vs any other routes.

From Moore Haven to Clewiston you must take about 12 miles of "rim".
At Clewiston you have a choice to continue around the rim (route 2) or to turn out into the lake proper and go across (route 1) to Port Mayaka.
Route 1 has a marked channel the whole way but some markers are still a mile apart.

Last edited:
The army corps of engineers website today days the lake o navigational depth is 6.29 feet. When I crossed using route 1 yesterday, my depth finder marked several spots below 5 feet. Also, the Moore Haven lock depth yesterday was 12.05 feet, lower than what the website shows. Some spots in the rim canal, which is right before you get into the lake, not to be confused with the rim route that you take across the lake, were below 3 feet according to my depth finders.

If it were me, I would stay out of the waterway until lake levels rise.

Last edited:
I just spoke with the local guy who is routine me home. He boats in a small bass boat. He said whenever lake o gets below 13.5 feet, he gets very cautious.

Lake O has been below 12.5 feet for at least a couple of weeks now. Not a good idea for non- locals to be navigating the rim canal!

I absolutely wouldn't suggest the rim route but on Route 1 you should have no issues. As to the lock schedule below 12.5 ft, they have found that putting it on schedule instead of demand really hasn't been helping them so thinking of discontinuing that practice. That's why even if it's slightly below 12.5 now, it will probably still be on demand.

We crossed yesterday on route 1 and spent the night in Indiantown. Smooth ride.

The Rim Route is different from the Rim Canal. All boats transiting the waterway have to use the 12 mile long rim canal that puts you on the main lake. I was marking less than 4 ft in places right on the sailing line of the Rim Canal.

It is for me no matter the depth of the lake. ��

Is the "rim route" (regardless of depth) more interesting or "scenic" than the direct route?

WesK

I would say because the route across the lake is boring as there is nothing to see except brown water and the rim has lots of stuff to look at and a lot of praying that you don't hit something. ��

Bump.

Looks like it is down over the last 30 days...5.54' today.

No rain. I wonder how low is too low for 4.5' draft on Route 1?

Back
Top Bottom