Crossing Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't the Army Corp of Engineers regulate the depth ? If its getting that low, couldn't they restrict the outflow somewhat ? At what point will they intervene ?

"Can't the Army Corp of Engineers regulate the depth ? If its getting that low, couldn't they restrict the outflow somewhat ? At what point will they intervene ?"

The Army is the one that sets the water level, right now.

Their problem is political .

The Atlantic side wants fresh water to flood marshlands for fish.

The Gulf side doesnt want too much water as it carries silt that screws up sport fishing and swimming.

The Power folks scream when the water flow is lowered that brackish water is eating their heat exchangers, so will be raising electric rates.

The greenies want extra water in the Everglades .Big sugar needs water for its crop.

The lake resident businesses do not want the lake so low that boats can not be used for fishing , as has happened in the past. Many have gone bankrupt.

The Birders also do not want the level too low as the lightning fires on small islands walk to the next with ease , killing habitat.

The Army is stuck with attempting to keep the water level to please all these loud voices ,
and not so high that in a hurricane with extra water the lake wont blow out the banks.

Good Luck to them, handling all the screachers.!

Last edited:
Jim Healy's Sanctuary is a Monk 36, manufacturer's published draft is 4'. I have the same model, I'll admit I have never actually measured the draft though.

McG

Ten days is not a lot of time to build up the lake without hurricane like rains. But if your a gambler you know what odds your willing to assume.

True but that is the current depth and our traveler wants a future prediction.

"Can't the Army Corp of Engineers regulate the depth ? If its getting that low, couldn't they restrict the outflow somewhat ? At what point will they intervene ?"

The Army is the one that sets the water level, right now.

Their problem is political .

The Atlantic side wants fresh water to flood marshlands for fish.

The Gulf side doesnt want too much water as it carries silt that screws up sport fishing and swimming.

The Power folks scream when the water flow is lowered that brackish water is eating their heat exchangers, so will be raising electric rates.

The greenies want extra water in the Everglades .Big sugar needs water for its crop.

The lake resident businesses do not want the lake so low that boats can not be used for fishing , as has happened in the past. Many have gone bankrupt.

The Birders also do not want the level too low as the lightning fires on small islands walk to the next with ease , killing habitat.

The Army is stuck with attempting to keep the water level to please all these loud voices ,
and not so high that in a hurricane with extra water the lake wont blow out the banks.

Good Luck to them, handling all the screachers.!

wow.....that's a lot of interests to serve !!!!

Will a rainy storm in the Okeechobee area fill the lake back up or does it take more than than?

Lake O

attached is a photo of the history of water levels. It been very dry both locally and up towards Orlando that area also contributes to Lake O's water level. One storm storm probably won't change too much. Unless Noah is involved :angel: we are starting Rainy season

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
Will a rainy storm in the Okeechobee area fill the lake back up or does it take more than than?

Will take far more than one storm. However, right now they'd be happy to get one really good storm and not just for the lake levels but all the fires throughout the area.

What a change from last Winter / Spring where water was super high and they were trying to drain it down. They had black water spewing out into the ocean and both coasts fighting about who got the run off.

Now, the good news. Levels are rising and as of yesterday were at 11.61 with 5.55 draft for route 1 and 3.75 for route 2. I expect, based on the continuing rain we've had, to see 12 ft very soon.

BandB

Don't expect your back yet but we have a few days of constant rain, it's returning to normal.

BandB

Don't expect your back yet but we have a few days of constant rain, it's returning to normal.

More like 2 weeks of almost constant and sometimes huge rains up here in Palm Beach County. Glad for the peeps looking to cross Okeechobee but I would like to have a little sun for a day or two so I can mow the lawn and touch up some varnish...

And it's raining on Lake Okeechobee right now, with a fair amount of rain forecast for most of next week.

Next thing ya know, we'll have a flood.

BandB

We got home late Sunday night so we've been here for the rain, but enjoying today out on the water. We've been helping an elderly friend this week with arrangements after the death of her husband on Monday, so in many ways the rain fit right in.

One reminder to people. Anytime water does rise as Okeechobee is at the moment, be aware of the extra probability of debris.

Or a hurricane.

Hush your mouth! Right now I am in a temp/month to month slip up in Stuart that is about as exposed to the ocean and winds as it can be. Looking for a better long term place that offers some hurricane protection. Need to hurry that process up before....you know...

BandB

Welcome home, did you bring the boat or leave it at dock?

Hush your mouth! Right now I am in a temp/month to month slip up in Stuart that is about as exposed to the ocean and winds as it can be. Looking for a better long term place that offers some hurricane protection. Need to hurry that process up before....you know...

FF has been pitching some place around Labelle as a hurricane hole but that might be for a haul out. Of course, he wasn't around in the 1930s when the Lake O area took some big hits.

For my 2 cents there really isn't anywhere to hide in FL but maybe Indiantown would be as good as anywhere else and its close to Stuart.

BandB

Welcome home, did you bring the boat or leave it at dock?

Left it as we're going to explore the Cumberland River later this summer. Our loop boat will rarely ever be in South Florida. Maybe once every three years or so.

BandB

That's a fantastic life to live, glad you guys enjoy it. :)

That's good, I have been holed up in Tarpon Springs for three weeks waiting for the levels to rise, I might start heading that way next week. It's raining hard in central Florida again today and 50% chance everyday next week. I would like Okeechobee to be above 12' before I transit.

Just out of curiosity, not saying it's wrong at all, but why would you wait three weeks for it to open rather than just going around?

Because I am in no hurry. I intend to do the keys next fall so I will see them then.

Tarpon Springs is one of our favorite stops, but, if I stayed there for three week I'd probably turn into a Coconut Macaroon. They have the best!

Hellas Bakery. OMG, I think I've gained 10 lbs here. I like Greek food. Plus it's a friendly little place.

Ya, love Tarpon too... and very close for me so I get up there a lot to sample Greek food and beer. They do go well together, don't they?

But, if you're waiting out Okechobee, there's tons of other fine places to hang out down the way.

Back
Top Bottom