Crewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard

Veteran Member
Hello All,
As many on the forum, I'm asking for advice.
We have recently sold our trawler, having lived and traveled on board for seven years. We loved the lifestyle, but going forward, we want to travel by other means, to inland locations, and internationally. And selling our boat freed up funds and associated on-going expenses.
My wife and I were recently discussing ways to continue boating in some way, including bare boat chartering. And it occurred to us that there might be some occasional demand for crewing on a recreational trawler.

Neither of us are licensed captains. But we know basic powerboat systems reasonably well, and have experience from the Bahamas to Canada. I am a bit mechanically inclined, and my wife is a retired ER nurse. And we are told that we are easy to have around.

Thinking out loud, it would seem like our ideal engagement would be with another couple that needed assistance in taking a boat over a longer distance than they were comfortable with doing by themselves.
Our requirement would be to cover our travel expenses from home to point of departure and from destination back to home, as well as, course, room and board during transit.
Is there demand such a scenario? If so, how would we market our availability?

Thank you for all opinions.

There are several websites for people seeking crews, both professionally and as unpaid.

Ted

I have done this a half dozen or so times not by joining a specialty crewing website but by responding to appropriate posts on TF asking for advice in moving a boat. I don't respond to all; the vibe has to feel right and only respond where my logistics of getting to the embarkation and debarkation points make sense.

I have never had a problem doing this. I make it clear to the boat owner that he is the captain, even though I may have more experience. I will give him my best advice when a decision needs to be made, but he has to make that decision. That has worked well so far.

All of my trips have been enjoyable. We have had some problems with the boats, and I have always been able to help fix them and move along.

David

Cruisers Forum has a “crews wanted, and crews available” section. The website has the usual assortment of characters expected on a web forum, but overall its a good site with many experienced boaters mostly geared toward sail, but also power.

....Thinking out loud, it would seem like our ideal engagement would be with another couple that needed assistance in taking a boat over a longer distance than they were comfortable with doing by themselves.

Our requirement would be to cover our travel expenses from home to point of departure and from destination back to home, as well as, course, room and board during transit.

Is there demand such a scenario? If so, how would we market our availability?

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for someone who wants a skilled boater without delivery experience. If they need skills, they will want a licensed captain (or their insurance company will). If they want extra crew, usually friends, or friends of friends.

When I was delivering, I sometimes had to beat the bushes for crew. I always paid even though many were avid boaters who would have paid me to come along, even though they had to wash and polish the boat upon delivery and do all sorts of menial tasks. So maybe pinging delivery skippers.

Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom