Old 03-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #1

City: Newburyport
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: 1978 Marine Trader Europa
Cracked Rudder support on marine trader

I have cracks on the rudder support of my marine trader. Had anyone repaired a similar situation? Inside the glass is there a wood or steel cross member. I also always have water coming out in front of the prop is this normal during the winter. Concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220221_160403.jpg   IMG_20220221_160405.jpg  
Old 03-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
I had water dripping from the same area for most of the winter, next haul out I am adding a keel drain to drain the water over the winter. Frozen water in there can do some damage during multiple freeze thaw cycles. I just got done repairing my bilge damage that I believe was caused by this.

As for the rudder shoe, I would peel back all that Fiberglass to better evaluate, not unheard of for the shoe to break off and lose the rudder. The rudder should be collared on the upper portion but who knows.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: New England/Michigan
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: N/A
That’s not a rudder support technically that is your skeg with a rudder base bearing. When these hulls are popped out of the mold there are no skegs, these are made on the bench or wherever then attached to the keel. Attachments range from mild steel straps, wood, glass whatever they can. The skeg itself can be hollow glass, wood cored or even a wire armature glassed over. Your photos show a longitudinal fracture with no fibers or evidence of cloth reinforcement. It looks like all putty. I’m afraid the best recourse is chop it off and build it right.

BTW the rudder is supposed to be supported by the carrier and collar in the lazarette. The base bearing stiffens up the rudderstock, reduces vibrations and the skeg is supposed to protect the rudder from grounding.

Good luck
garbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
An angle grinder along the crack will remove sufficient material so that the interior damage to the skeg can be assessed.

The more interesting question is why did the crack form? Flexing due to inadequate support? Grounding on a sandbar just enough to start a small crack? Poor manufacturing process?

In any case, You will have to grind away at the crack until you reach good solid undamaged material. The repair/replace plan should then become obvious.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
Guru

I would start grinding until you get to something solid or structural. It can likely be repaired. Fiberglass work is not all that hard to do, just time consuming and messy.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote