Old 12-08-2019, 12:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think I’ll run a little test tomorrow night. I’ve got a group 24 starter battery that is rated 135 amp hours. I’ll see what happens when I run the CPAP with this battery and my inverter.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 AM   #22

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
This is a good reminder for me to come up with some more solutions, thanks for the battery link, I hadn't researched enough to know about CPAP-specific batteries.

I have fairly bad apnea. When my old CPAP suddenly and completely failed this past April, I did not have a spare. Because it had been so long since I had been in to a sleep Dr. it was a 3 day process to get a new one. I literally ended up buying a used one off craigslist and learning how to reprogramming it off the internet so I could get it set to my pressure. I found that for the two nights until I found it I was not able to sleep. By day two I was so far gone I considered it unsafe to try to go to work.

Now that I have NWD with her redundant power and spare CPAP, I consider her my refuge in case of overnight power outage at the dirt house. There are some things off limits to me in life that maybe one of these CPAP batteries would solve.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #23

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
I've been using a Resperonics CPAP for something like 12-14 years, cruising in a couple of different boats all the while. The Resperonic unit is normally powered by 120V AC for the fan motor and the humidifier for home use as well as hotel travel. Resperonics also has a 12V adaptor (plugs into a cigarette lighter socket) for boat and RV use. The first boat in which I used the CPAP was a 28' Shearwater Yawl (Edey & Duff trailerable cruiser) in which I installed a second 12V group-27 battery as a "house battery" just to power the CPAP. The original 12V Group-27 battery was used to start our 9.9hp Yamaha outboard auxiliary power as well as nav lights and VHF radio. The boat's electrical system was very basic; no other electric or electronic accessories.

The second boat in which I use the CPAP is the Albin-25 pictured at the left. It came to us with a pair of 12V Group-27 batteries for both House and Starter circuits.

I could run the CPAP for a week on the House battery in the Shearwater without recharging. Yes, it would be recharged at a very low rate when under power with the outboard.

I can run the CPAP an unlimited number of days in the Albin because the Volvo-Penta Diesel has a much stouter alternator for recharging while underway.

Note: the 12V adaptor will NOT power the CPAP humidifier, however, I figure our boat is always in a humid environment on the water when cruising. We also use the Albin as an RV in KOA Campgrounds when traveling cross-country to distant water and I can use the humidifier with 120V campsite power. If camped for a night at a truck stop without 120V power, I've never suffered any ill effect by going without GPAP humidity for a night on the highway, not near a water environment.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #24

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
We've also chartered a couple of boats; a Juneau-41 with The Moorings in the BVI, and a LeBoat 40 footer on a canal in France. Both boats had 12V sockets near the berths for the CPAP.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #25
Guru

I think the problem is solved. I went down to Flamingo today and spoke to the house boat people. They said I could rent a generator to take with us. I think it will run the air conditioner as well. Looks like weíve got some warm weather headed this way so the AC will be nice.

My friend Snapper suggested we go for a boat ride into Whitewater Bay today. That gave me a chance to talk to the houseboat folks and get an idea of what they are like.
Attached Thumbnails
465F2B42-D138-4776-B652-6090980D9EA6.jpg   8877053D-D7C8-4402-9361-57B4A8C12E42.jpg  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Your Honda will probably be a lot quieter
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Your Honda will probably be a lot quieter
Yes but it probably wonít run the air conditioner. If the weather will be cool, I might take it.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #28

City: Edmonds
MAXOAK Battery for CPAP

Depending on your make/model, here is a solution from Amazon that has adapters for most popular CPAP machines. I have one and my CPAP (ResMed AutoSense 10) only draws 11% of the battery's capacity per night. Significantly cheaper than the manufacturer options and way more capacity.

https://amzn.to/33SRQ2B
dcheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #29

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Kaos
Vessel Model: Symbol 55 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I use a CPAP machine when I sleep. I going on a houseboat cruise to Whitewater Bay next week for two nights. There is no generator on the boat.

The machine draws 1.5 amps of 110 volts to run. I have a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Any suggestions on how to power this thing?
Lots of others have already provided most of what I'm going to say, but I thought I'd at least add a bit more detail from my testing and use.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP with humidifier. When I got it a year ago, it was a life-changer. Not only did my partner not want to murder me anymore, but I now have 2x-3x the energy and stamina than I did before, which lets me do many more boat projects!

I live aboard about 50% of the year, so I use it both at home and on the boat. I did a lot of testing, being a DC power nerd, on both using it aboard, at home, and in power failure situations in both places. The last thing I want is to wake up pseudo-suffocating because I have no power...

I also have been (strangely) camping a bit more lately, and have taken it with me there as well.

I investigated portable CPAP machines and found them to mostly be a waste of money. Many of them have severely limited functions, and end up requiring more equipment to use in addition to your normal machine. For people who travel a lot on planes or trains and need to sleep there, they make sense. For a boat, not so much.

The CPAP branded batteries are also not a great investment. They seem to be purpose built for specific models in many cases, and limited overall amp hours. Again, for someone traveling a lot, these would make sense paired with a portable CPAP.

The biggest draw in the ResMed (and most others) is the heated tube and humidifier. Both are heated, and can account for more than 80% of the power draw. All of the more modern units have controls to turn this off, and will dramatically reduce the power usage.

With humidifier/tube heat on - around 300 watt hours in one night
Without - around 80 watt hours in one night

While camping, I use a Yeti 400 Lithium power station to keep it running. I can go 3 nights on one charge of the Yeti, plus charging phones and other small things.

At home I also use the Yeti in case the power fails, but I leave the tube heater and humidifer on.

On the boat, I had been using the inverter via a normal AC plug, but switched to the 12v adapter a few months ago. I use the humidifier and tube heater on the boat because I have the power available.

The 12v adapter that seems more efficient than using the AC wall plug. I use this pretty much everywhere now because I'm using the 12v ports on the Yeti at home/camping, and a 12v socket on the boat. I would highly recommend getting that if you continue to use the CPAP off of a battery.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #30

City: Delray Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug. R25
Iíve been a CPAP use her for about 10 years.

My present CPAP is hooked directly to a 12 V mains and uses about eight to ten amp hours per night.

I have no need for the humidifier on the water since the water keeps the boat quite humid.
StuartBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Parks. Visit the manufacturer of the CPAP website, most all have a battery option for those who backpack, ect. I keep two on my boat but have a generator.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Parks you’ll love the houseboat in the Flamingo back county and the skeeters shouldn’t be much of a problem. When younger I would rent the houseboat a few weekends a year. Fresh snook is a real treasure.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Charleston
Cpap

Iíve used a CPAP machine on my boats since I retired in 2013. Both my Moody 47 and Manta 42 had enough solar and battery bank to power the inverter with juice to spare. Iíve used ResMed CPAP machines with no humidifier and never had a problem. Went sailing in French Polynesia last year and took a CPAP that had a battery pack which I charged during the day. It was pricey but worth it.
Exsailor2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #34

City: Jacksonville FL
The cpap vastly improves the quality of your sleep, which in turn improves your quality of life. I also have a pacemaker which keeps me alive; has nothing to do with the cpap.
jsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #35
Guru

Anchored in Whitewater Bay. Got a big Honda Generator. Should get me through he night.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #36

City: washington DC
Vessel Name: Dark & Stormy
Vessel Model: Catalina 36 MKI
I use the standard cigarette lighter plug for my CPAP on my boat. Cannot use the humidifier as the heater draws too much amperage. No problems whatsoever with the plug or battery use. They make the plugs just for this and RV purposes.

Regarding the comment about heart surgery vs CPAP. Wow! Let me say that I'm pretty healthy, exercise regularly and maintain a decent weight. Without CPAP I sleep like crap and am up 4-5x per night. With CPAP I sleep through the night and wake up rested. It isn't that much of a ball and chain.....
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point
Vessel Name: Painless
Vessel Model: Skipjack 262
As an alternative, have you ever discussed with your sleep doctor or dentist trying a mandibular advancement appliance? It is basically an upper and lower mouthguard that are connected in various ways depending on who or what lab fabricates it.
The idea is to advance the lower jaw (similar to what you were told in the old days in CPR classes) to help open the airway.
The statistics are they are very helpful in at least 50% of cases and don't require any electricity etc.
Best way to find out is to have one fitted and retake the sleep test. If your "number" drops down low enough in terms of apnotic events, then it can be a good alternative if you are camping etc.
There are dentists that have some pretty good expertise in fitting these and when they work, they really free people up to attempt things the wouldn't normally do.
Don't just get one made and go off without someone confirming that your airway is patent.
I'm retired, but I have had hundreds of patients in 45 years of practice that have really been freed of their CPAPs.

Good Luck
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #38

City: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Owen Churchill
Vessel Model: Overseas PT 35 Sedan
I have a power supply similar to the one JDL pictured. I can use it for overnight flights on airlines and as a backup on my boat (I live aboard) in case of power failure in the marina. I paid about $300 for it, and without using the humidifier on my ResMed Airsense 10 it will last 2 nights. I can recharge it during the day using a cigarette lighter. My Airsense 10 actually runs on 24v and has a converter for use with a straight in cigarette lighter. I used to use a much less sophisticated system on the boat and for camping. I had a 12v car battery and clip-on "cigarette lighter" adaptor. Not pretty, but it works like a champ. Several nights of use without a recharge when I took it camping.
SBGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #39

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: David Ferguson
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 36
CPAP Power

I use a Devilbiss CPAP which has AC and DC inputs. When on shore power I use the AC option but when on the hook I use a 12 volt battery jump pack for jumping car batteries with the ďcigaretteĒ plug. This avoids using the boatís inverter power. The jump pack lasts for days but I just plug it into the AC power when underway to recharge it. This means no demand the shipís battery/inverter unless underway. For camping this system works well too. Jump pack at night and plug 12 volt into car when driving during the day. Also have used this when power goes down at home.
Rocky Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #40

Vessel Name: Malkah Z
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thanks guys! Great feed back. My math seems about the same as yours. I need to know more about the house boat. Iím not even sure how itís powered, probably outboard. I do have a Honda 2000 generator. Might have to bring that along.

The machine actually runs on 24 volts. The power supply says input 110 volts 1-1.5 amps, output 24 volts 3.75 amps. It also says 90 watts next to the output cable.
1, Then 12v device may be a very bad idea. Depnd9ng on the brand, cPA{ is often run off of 24 v. So a 12v to 24 is not efficient.

Even worse if you ise a 2v tp 110 .. that will be small inverter.

I recentlu opgrade to to Airmino from Resmed. It is very small and very small and very efficient. Also, you can buy a battery supply fpr it. And charge it fro any 12 source you want/
SeattleJew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpap