Old 05-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
COVID test to enter BC en route to Alaska ?

Sorry if this has already been covered on one of the various threads dealing with the WA to AK transit through BC this summer.

I plan to depart Friday Harbor late next week and clear into Canada in Sidney. My understanding - please correct me if I am wrong - is that I need to have proof of COVID vaccination and a recent (within 72 hours) negative PCR test.

I had planned on getting the PCR test in Friday Harbor. It turns out that that is not possible. I have also hit a dead end at getting a PCR test in Anacortes. I am told by the couple of facilities that I spoke with that they do not conduct testing for traveling purposes.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the test required? Where is the nearest location to Anacortes that you know of that offers the test for travel reasons?

Thanks
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered on one of the various threads dealing with the WA to AK transit through BC this summer.

I plan to depart Friday Harbor late next week and clear into Canada in Sidney. My understanding - please correct me if I am wrong - is that I need to have proof of COVID vaccination and a recent (within 72 hours) negative PCR test.

I had planned on getting the PCR test in Friday Harbor. It turns out that that is not possible. I have also hit a dead end at getting a PCR test in Anacortes. I am told by the couple of facilities that I spoke with that they do not conduct testing for traveling purposes.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the test required? Where is the nearest location to Anacortes that you know of that offers the test for travel reasons?

Thanks
ASD (Alaskan SeaDuction) is or should be in Friday Harbor now, go over and introduce yourself. Tom and Kay can fill you in on all that is required. As I understand it, more than a Test is required to transit through BC.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

I think ASD is already in Canada. Maybe he’ll see this.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Not quite in Canada yet but really close.........
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 3.04.29 PM.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
I hate to relitigate this, most of it has been covered in this thread already, started by ASD mentioned above: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...pnw-57261.html

But, it's my understanding that if you are transiting Canadian waters by boat enroute to Alaska, a test or vaccination is neither required, nor will it help vis a vis their rules - at least for now. You will be taking care of necessities in a "contactless" manner and won't be ashore for any other reason.

Edit: this isn't to discourage testing or vaccination of course, but I don't think it is currently required by Canada except for land or air travel. It hadn't been required by Alaskan authorities for months now.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Guru

ASD arrived in Friday Harbor this afternoon at 15:38 and will be there for 4-5 days.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
ASD arrived in Friday Harbor this afternoon at 15:38 and will be there for 4-5 days.
How are you doing down your way, John?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #8
Guru

Its friggin hot and humid! The crew to take Pairadice to Florida is expected in a few days, Tracey is longing for Hotel rooms, AC and room service. We will arrive in Ft Lauderdale o. The evening of the 12th and wait for Pairadice to arrive. We have a spot in S. Carolina to park her for a much needed boat break back home.
Hope you guys are able to enjoy a trip up north, I know its a hassel with the Covid thing, we have had our fair share of issue’s down here, but get out ther and enjoy cruising, dont let this monster slow down your life, its short enuff as it is, LOL
Cheers, John & Tracey
Old 05-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
Guru

I totally spaced this. ASD (Tom) is not able to respond on the TF platform until June 1st as he is in TF Jail.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

How did he end up in TF jail?

I’ll be in FH tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

I’ll be in FH tomorrow!
Kawini

There are a large number of US flags showing up on Marine Traffic, heading towards Alaska. That indicates a high success rate getting through the bureaucratic tangles at the border. The link above should get you there.

A willingness to restrict your contacts while in BC waters, to those that are essential, will go a long way towards keeping that window of opportunity open.

Please bear in mind that at this moment, and lasting until at least May 25th, BC residents have less freedom to go north than you will have, as we cannot leave our Health areas for non-essential travel. Between Sidney and Prince Rupert we can't cross over to the mainland side until it no longer puts us into the Vancouver Coastal Health area, nor can we go past Cape Caution, where the Northern Health Region (for the purpose of that restriction) begins.

There are almost zero Canadian flag pleasure vessels showing up past Cape Caution (several vessels in that area have too little information to know who they are, as there are areas without AIS VHF reception, so have no boat identification information)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:

I’ll be in FH tomorrow!
I dont know the specifics but I’m sure he can fill you in if you stop by.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
When entering Alaska, please enjoy your time in our great state!
Please spend your money, as our tourism industry really took a hit last year, and will continue to do so because of the cruise ship cancellations this season.

We are completely open with no statewide restrictions.

All of our residents that want to receive any of the three vaccines on the market have been vaccinated. Those who choose not to be vaccinated of course need to protect themselves.

While you are here I am pretty sure anyone can just walk into any pharmacy that normally gives out flu shots and get a vaccine, again, your choice, we just want you to be safe using whatever protective measures you deem appropriate for your situation.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Kawini

He is parked with 50 feet of High Slack. ;-)
Seabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Tidings of Joy
Vessel Model: DeFever 52 Euro
Hello,
We transited from Friday Harbor to Sidney to Prevost Island clearing customs on April 5th. We gave the customs agents our float plan and also showed them our vaccine cards. They were very happy to see vaccinated people coming thru and we’re told “Canada is a mess right now and fully shut down.” Since you will not be touching land until you get to US soil I don’t think you need a recent negative test if you are vaccinated. We were not asked to have one. I would recommend giving them your detailed float plan because they will be keeping an eye on you. Unfortunately some people have taken advantage of the open water boarders and “got lost” thinking it was okay to see Canada rather than use the waterway to get to Alaska. Agents are nice and respectful I suggest if you are the same way there will be no problem. Feel feee to private message me if you have any more questions I can help with. Safe travels.
Jdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdornick View Post
.....Since you will not be touching land until you get to US soil I don’t think you need a recent negative test if you are vaccinated.....
Joy, Just to clarify, In your case did you stop for fuel? Did you anchor? If you file an itinerary upon entry to Canada that has you stopping for fuel or anchoring (but staying on the boat), is that acceptable?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Tidings of Joy
Vessel Model: DeFever 52 Euro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Joy, Just to clarify, In your case did you stop for fuel? Did you anchor? If you file an itinerary upon entry to Canada that has you stopping for fuel or anchoring (but staying on the boat), is that acceptable?
We did not need to stop for fuel and only anchored out. It's my understanding that marinas aren't open to U.S. boats. If you need to get fuel I would include that in your float plan. We also filed a CAN Pass (it's an app) prior to arriving. Before we made our transit we also spoke to Canadian Customs several times over the phone with questions and they were more then happy to answer them. Their number is - 888-226-7277 Also here is a link to a blank float plan you can fill out and print to give to the agents. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

https://floatplancentral.cgaux.org/d...GFloatPlan.pdf
Jdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #18
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
You may stop for fuel, if you put that possibility in your written transit plan along with planned anchorages. Just now coming into KTN after 15 days in BC waters, anchoring every night. Follow their rules and it's not difficult. You do not need a negative test.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #19
Guru

Glad you made it to Ketch, Richard.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #20

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:

Thanks
Only a Captain can transit to Canada the border is closed by Car and Boat, you can fly but have to quarantine showing a negative covid test on arrival
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote