Covered or uncovered slip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We seldom stay on boat unless off away from slip... so... covered for us. Many good reasons for covered, a few drawbacks. But, covered's good far outweigh the bad in comparison to open slip; for us that is. Had many years in open slips. Pretty much love covered, our boat loves it too!

Last edited:
I've posted this shot before, but it's why we don't put our boat in a boathouse. Taken from the flying bridge of our boat in its slip.

Islands are the San Juans, mountains are the Olympics.

The tradeoff of increased exterior maintenance is well worth it for us.

Attachments

• Bay 1.jpg
    Bay 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 55
I've posted this shot before, but it's why we don't put our boat in a boathouse. Taken from the flying bridge of our boat in its slip.

Islands are the San Juans, mountains are the Olympics.

The tradeoff of increased exterior maintenance is well worth it for us.

Reasoning understood! And, appreciated!!

For many boats, it is not an option due to vertical clearance.

Last edited:
IMO covered is the only way to go. We're in a 20'x60' covered slip in a new marina that has nice, wide walkways, offers me 50A 240V and 50A 120V power and water.

We live in a desert climate so when it's not (95*-110*) I'd bake in an uncovered slip. I also like being able to work on the boat during the daytime. If we were in an uncovered slip there's no way I could be out there in the sun doing stuff on the boat.

For many boats, it is not an option due to vertical clearance.

Thusly you purchase a boat that does afford that option.

We have to drop both bimini tops as well as the approx. 8' tall mast with anchor light at peak.

Selecting a boat to fit a particular berth was not even "in the radar" for me.

Selecting a boat to fit a particular berth was not even "in the radar" for me.

In each vehicle of any type I purchase (boats surely included) every want, desire and need regarding same is well researched and reviewed. Of course... there are always trade offs. Your boat is best for you and ours best for us.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze! - Art :D

Covered fresh water for me please!

We have 4'x4' skylights between slips at my YC and that really helps with the gloom aspect.

With covered you also get posts and beams to rig things like hull protection and power lines.

I can certainly see open for a live aboard if your boat is water-tight.

I swore I would never go undercover until a couple years ago . I got covered slip because I needed to replace my caprail and make some new doors . I even kept my uncovered slip because I thought I would go back for sure . After a couple months I gave up the uncovered slip and don't think I'll ever go back . If you have some serious work to get done covered is the only way .

Greetings,
Mr. A. Sounds like someone's jealous...

RT

The Big "J" does not run in my blood. Honest affirmation for other's good fortune does. Tiz a beautiful pict Marin posted regarding his open slip dockage. Now, just think if that same panoramic view could be had off transom of a boat in covered slip! Best of both worlds... then I might feel just a pinch of the J - LOL

Covered is the way to go IMHO. Cooler when hanging around the boat at the dock for the weekend, easier on the boat/components as the shade keeps the sun away, not too mention the protection from the rain.

I had the same dilemma when I bought my boat, the GF insisted on the covered slip, I am so thankful she did!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom