A "counterfeit" 'American Tug' for sale (not mine)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please speak for yourself about body parts and part two of you post I have read several times and still dont understand.

The forms requesting are we male or female.

No wonder I didn't get it. :banghead:

I reached out to him....here is a picture of the HID# ( if you click on it, it will be right side up )

Attachments

• HID.jpeg
    HID.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
That HIN/MIC is nonsensical. It does not follow the required format and identifies neither Sundowner nor American Tug.

Sundowner first three characters should be XDJ or XDO
American Tug first three characters is TOG

Not all that unusual for TT numbers to be nonsensical.

Last edited:
That HIN/MIC is nonsensical. It does not follow the required format and identifies neither Sundowner nor American Tug.

My previous 2006 American Tug HIN started with TQG.
My previous 1988 Sundowner HIN started with VLR (Valor Marine)

I also asked and rec'd the same HIN photo - I couldn't make sense of it either.
It would be interesting to see what the USCG Doc says. The database is no longer online / searchable AFAIK. I know you used to be able to look up Doc boats by Name & Home Port.

I also asked and rec'd the same HIN photo - I couldn't make sense of it either.
It would be interesting to see what the USCG Doc says. The database is no longer online / searchable AFAIK. I know you used to be able to look up Doc boats by Name & Home Port.

HIN/MIC search - https://uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php

NOAA Vessel search - https://foss.nmfs.noaa.gov/apexfoss/f?p=215:4:0::NO:::&tz=-4:00

USCG Vessel search (PSIX) - https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/

So finally, another post on which I can comment somewhat intelligently! So two things going on here - one possibly nefarious, the other innocent. On the first, fraud is a tort (and crime in some states) where the actor has knowledge of what he/she is doing (knows the boat is not an AT, and states that it is to a buyer). For this kind of activity, buyers can haul the seller into court and ring them up like a busted slot machine. The other is simply an innocent error - misrepresentation. The seller thought they had an AT, and erroneously sold it as that. For this activity, the buyer can usually get their money back, cancel contract, depends on state law, but no huge claims. Nice looking boat though - but I really like the real ATs.

I'm thinking the HIN makes it a Sea Tug. A Sundowner built on the sold molds of the original bankrupt builder.

Craig's List ad now states American Tug (Sundowner), so either he has become informed or knows buyers are on to the scam. Seems like a crazy price either way for that boat.

Craig's List ad now states American Tug (Sundowner), so either he has become informed or knows buyers are on to the scam. Seems like a crazy price either way for that boat.

Now it has changed again (inching toward reality) and the ad title says

"American Trawler (Sun Downer)"

Price is the same.

Sounds a bit funny to say "This is my personal boat that I have used...It is extremely fun to use." Sounds like something you'd say about a Jetski and combined with calling it an AT makes me wonder about the real story.
Northern Spy: I bet you are on to something with Sea Tug from Sundowner mold.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom