Could this ad be correct !?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
This is from an ad currently on Yachtworld.....

"The most popular boat of her type ever built, the Nordic 32 is a full keeled, semi displacement cruiser whose classic tugboat profile and quality construction have endeared her to yachting enthusiasts for many years. The 32 is an unquestionably eye catching design. The Nordic 32 has a cruising speed of 12 knots and is very economical to operate with its single Cummins diesel. 1/2 a gallon per hour at 6 1/2 knots. A very easy boat to maneuver as well with a side power bow thruster. The Nordic 32 is USA built and this one has had only two owners that have kept very detailed records and logs. New bottom paint (Summer 2016)" ( bolding was mine )

Can an NT 32 really get 13 miles per gallon ???

1999 Nordic Tugs 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
Could be very possible at only 6 1/2 knots.

I don't think so. I bet that engine burns at least that much at idle. I am guessing 2 gph to push that boat to 6.5 Kts.

Never, ever accept anyone's word for fuel consumption without records and data to back it up.

David

I had a 34’ sailboat with 25hp Yanmar that burned 2/3 gallon at 6.5kts and 1/2 gallon at 5.9kts. Looks like this claim has a bit of current assist.

1/2 gallon per hour is enough to produce 10hp. I am not familiar with the boat, but I would be really surprised if a 32' boat that is any more substantial than a canoe could get 6.5 knots from 10 hp.

It might be a typo. I can easily see this happening if someone meant (1 - 1/2) or more likely (1-2).

I have the same boat with the same engine. I can attest that this is a very efficient combination, but the broker listing may be a slight exaggeration though.

In Dec, I traveled 302nm in 50hrs at the helm. All but 80 of those miles were at 4-6kts. Those 80 miles were at WOT....14kts. I used 115 gallons of fuel. I know WOT on this engine is about 12gph. That leaves the remainder of my time averaging close to 1gph.

It might be a typo. I can easily see this happening if someone meant (1 - 1/2) or more likely (1-2).

Typo is what I would guess from my friend's NT32 experience. I could believe 1.5 gal/hr at 6.5 knots.

Our NT37 averaged 3.83 nmpg last summer over 4,400 nm. Mostly at 7-7.5 knots, and some faster. A little less than 2 gal/hr.

Last edited:
I will buy 1gph at 4 to 5 knots...start pushing 6 and I will bet it jumps quite a bit.

My Albin-25 powered by a Volvo-Penta MD17C burns 1/2gal/hr at 6.5 kts, if I shade the truth just a wee bit, and these boats are considered very economical.

I have a friend who had the 220hp Cummins in his 32NT, it pretty much did 6 knots at idle with a burn of 1 gph. It idled too fast to troll for salmon, and 1 gph was his minimum fuel burn. The newer 32NT's have even larger engines, though I would be willing to bet a 32 with a very small engine would get better economy.

I towed his NT in with my Willard when he got an air leak in a fuel line. At my 1 gph rpm I made 5 1/2 knots towing him, that would usually push me at 7 knots. I believe a smaller engine would achieve pretty close to what is claimed, but not a Cummins...

My 5 1/2 knots rpm is .42 gph...

At 6.5 knots, I'd bet on 1.5 to 1.75 gpm.

hey, my friends 42 foot sailboat goes 7 knots at less than a gallon an hour.....

BFD..... compare hull types and waterline lengths and it isnt too hard to see what is what. Obviously there are certain more efficient hull shapes.

Heck, I was fortunate enough to have enough experience to NOT believe a word the PO said about the boat I bought and how fast and efficient he said it was. NOT!

Last edited:
6.5 knots at .5 GPH is 13 MPG. Sorry thats not happening. I might believe 6 to7 MPG at 6.5 knots.

Ted

6.5 knots at .5 GPH is 13 MPG. Sorry thats not happening. I might believe 6 to7 MPG at 6.5 knots.

Ted

Too bad you don't believe it, but for me that's averaged over 263 hours of run time. And yes, it IS 13 mpg. And for me that's 5.5 knots at .42, at 7 knots my fuel consumption more than doubles to 1 gph.

I have no trouble believing a longer waterline would get those results.

Last edited:
This is from an ad currently on Yachtworld.....

"The most popular boat of her type ever built, the Nordic 32 is a full keeled, semi displacement cruiser whose classic tugboat profile and quality construction have endeared her to yachting enthusiasts for many years. The 32 is an unquestionably eye catching design. The Nordic 32 has a cruising speed of 12 knots and is very economical to operate with its single Cummins diesel. 1/2 a gallon per hour at 6 1/2 knots. A very easy boat to maneuver as well with a side power bow thruster. The Nordic 32 is USA built and this one has had only two owners that have kept very detailed records and logs. New bottom paint (Summer 2016)" ( bolding was mine )

Can an NT 32 really get 13 miles per gallon ???

1999 Nordic Tugs 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Hi,

I have NT 37 And here's my measured consumption, reads Vesel viev and gps. Water, fuel 100% full, 5 people and full equipment LLC, food, clothing, spare parts etc.

For example, 6,2kn fuel Burn 0,89gal / hour - 7nm / gal

Here's the whole speed / consumption measurement as a table consumption per liter / hour

lh.JPG

NBs

Last edited:
The N32 listing indicates Cummins 6BTA 220 power. According to the factory performance curve, the fuel consumption at 800 rpm is 1.3 gal/hr on the propeller curve. The idle speed range for this engine is 700-900 rpm. At idle in gear, I can't imagine how the minimum fuel consumption could be any less than that.

Attachments

• 6BTA220.JPG
    6BTA220.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 127
Hi,

I figured out where the broker taught me this sentence 1/2 gal ... It comes from the Nordic tug company presentation when the first model NT 26 was launched for the first time on the market.

NT pages:

"With the nostalgic appeal and notable fuel economy (1/2 gallon per hour at 6-1/2 knots), Nordic Tugs became an immediate success. "

That is, consumption was the first NT 26 models in the 80s!

NBs

Of course it's true. Tis the Internet age. In the old days we could glean all sorts of tidbits by perusing JC Whitney catalogs.

Too bad you don't believe it, but for me that's averaged over 263 hours of run time. And yes, it IS 13 mpg. And for me that's 5.5 knots at .42, at 7 knots my fuel consumption more than doubles to 1 gph.

I have no trouble believing a longer waterline would get those results.

You have a more efficient displacement hull shape than the 32NT, and as you said 1knot can double fuel consumption. The Cummins also isn't going to be efficient producing less than 10 HP at the prop running at 1,000 RPM.

Ted

Hi,
For example, 6,2kn fuel Burn 0,89gal / hour - 7nm / gal

Here's the whole speed / consumption measurement as a table consumption per liter / hour

View attachment 71784

NBs

1/2 gal per hour at 6.5 knots is not real for a Nordic 32 at 6.5 knots. My 32'8" boat which displaces about 9,500 lbs and has a full displacement hull burns about 0.6 gph at 6.5 knots. There is simple no way a similar length boat with 50% more displacement will use less fuel. By the way my fuel burn at 5.5 knots is about 0.35 gph or 16 mpg. If I slow to 5 knots I am around a quart an hour or 20 mpg. Those numbers are for flat water only.

My Nordic Tug 26 used to be around 2 liters per hour at 6 knots when it had a 42hp BMW diesel. Now it is closer to 3 liters per hour at 6.5 knots with a 75hp Volvo.

But I normally run 7.5-8 kts burning 5 liters per hour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom