Cost for a Prop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JadePanama

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jade Panama'
Vessel Make
2001 Rayburn Custom 76
Hey everyone.

I have a 53' Tollycraft. 6v92 TA 550hp with Allison M20 2:1 gearboxes. 17' beam, around 70k lbs.

I had a diver do routine maintenance / anodes and he called with a report that I have a fair amount of prop damage on both. The worst part is I have no idea where I got it. It is what it is, but working on go forward plan. I figured one option to consider is getting new props, and repairing the old ones for spares. However, i have NO CLUE as to what a prop costs. Even ballpark. I am waiting on information from the divers as to current size etc, but figured this fine group would likely be able to provide a ball park for what new props would cost so I can at least come up with a game plan.

Appreciate the input.

Thx - Wade

Once you know the size you can look up a new prop on Deep Blue Yacht Supply. Just as a guess you're probably looking at least $2000 per prop, but it really depends on size and material.

Ken

I've found this website recently and thought it was helpful in terms of ballparking props. They have an "estimator" which I think is really a "request a quote" but also show a number of props for sale with prices. For example they show a four bladed 24" x 16 bronze prop for $1622.

I have no relation to this site nor can I recommend them as I'm not a customer, but I found it informative for me as I too was clueless about prop costs.

https://www.propellerdepot.com/

ok thanks! thats what i was hoping to find out.

appreciate those site links. those were very helpful.

I would suspect that with 550hp, your props will be a lot larger than the ones listed above. I have 225hp and 24x24 props. I just had mine rebuilt over the winter. They didn’t have much damage but one blade on each was quite a bit out of pitch. It cost $980 each to have them built. They are now right on spec. I had them repitch the props to 23.5” to give me a bit more RPM. The vibration I was getting is now gone. I would guess you would be looking in the 3 to 4K range each to buy new props, but that is a guess. The prop shop that I had mine rebuilt at had a lot of used rebuilt props for sale.

When I was looking at props for my 671s @ 230 HP, they were about $1900 each in Bronze. Mine are four blade, 26" diameter x 26" pitch. I ended up finding an unused set of michigan wheel dyna quad props from a boater that was selling his spares for much less than new but it took months and months of searching to find them.

Wade, you're lucky to be in Seattle where one of the best prop rebuild places in the PNW is located right in Fisherman's Terminal area--Kruger & Sons. 206.283.7707. Don't ask me how I know about them.

I suspect they also sell props but it might be worth a call to see.

Thx! Yep, I have already reached out and just up the lake/canal from us. Thx for the tip!

Once you determine size, I'd get prices from several local prop shops and internet stores for the same brand and size prop. There is a big difference in markup between prop shops.

And not all prop shops will have your size in stock either.

Most prop shops will not stock what you need and will have to order it. When I had mine rebuilt I asked what a new prop would cost. He said $3500 for a 24x24 with a 2” shaft. I was just curious and didn’t shop around.

Most prop shops will not stock what you need and will have to order it. When I had mine rebuilt I asked what a new prop would cost. He said $3500 for a 24x24 with a 2” shaft. I was just curious and didn’t shop around.
It pays to shop.
I bought a new Michigan Dynaquad 28 x 20 with a 2.5" shaft in 2016 for around $2,500. The good shops network. This prop is an extreme oddball, but was sitting on a shelf in Seattle.

Ted

Yes, I didn’t shop at all but was just curious what they cost. I have a spare set of 3 blade props that I have never used. I have 4 blade props mounted now.

I cannot say enough good things about Valley propeller service in Ventura, ca. For a fishing skiff I have, I spoke to owner Brian directly whom we completed a survey of how fast we run, what rpm, sea conditions so he could fit the best prop. He asked me to run the new prop for a while to then see if he could change it. I never knew there could be so much in a prop choice. Over night shipping to me in San Francisco made it very painless. Call Brian if you have not started. https://www.valleypropellerservice.com/.

A friends 57 Bayliner with 610 hp man diesels had 3” shafts and 30x36 props. The price for new was over $5,000.00 each.

Divers went back down. I have 30” 31 4 blade and 2 1/4 shafts.

JadePanama,

Take them to a Propshop. They can tell if yours are salvageable, It's pretty amazing what they can do to fix a mangled prop. They'll come back cleaned, trued, balanced and for tons less than new.

JadePanama,

Take them to a Propshop. They can tell if yours are salvageable, It's pretty amazing what they can do to fix a mangled prop. They'll come back cleaned, trued, balanced and for tons less than new.
Agree
And look for Clist & eBay ones that need repair. A used prop + rebuild is usually cheaper than new.
My spare cost about 1/3 of new including rebuild & rebalance.

Go to a shop that has Prop Scan equipment. They can get the prop right on and then you will have a record of what you have. I had mine done and the vibration I had is gone.

Go to Michigan Wheel website.

Suggest you try Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa CA. He has a lot of props, used but serviceable. I have bought a lot of stuff from Ernie in the past and his prices are quite reasonable. Now, you do have to be careful with shipping costs. LA to SEA, could be pricey.

The Prop Shop in Mukilteo has been around since the 70s. They do great work and are very fair. Ask for John and tell him Kris Q sent you. (425) 353-5527

Consider Nibral

After several instances of having to have our bronze props repaired, even though I couldn't recall having hit anything, I picked up a pair of Nibral props from a owner who was selling his boat, but not giving these spare props to the purchaser. Only had to have them worked 1 time in 14 years, and that was because I did hit something, and knew it right away.
I carry the bronze as spares.

AHOY PROPS IN NOLA. 1200 for bronze 32in 3 blade best price of anyone why bronze? When you hit something the prop gets damaged not the shaft or strut!

AHOY PROPS IN NOLA. 1200 for bronze 32in 3 blade best price of anyone why bronze? When you hit something the prop gets damaged not the shaft or strut!

Not always the case, too many different ways to damage a prop out there, but your choice.
I’ll spend the money for bronze and hope to inflict more damage than it receives.
I travel to some pretty remote locations, so I carry a spare, with the proper tools and a scuba tank, and though it’s pretty beat up, I know it’ll get me home!

Back
Top Bottom