Cost of flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I believe that is what the installer used plus the separate 3/4” x 3/4” wood pieces for the edges around the hatches.

As I said above, do it yourself, it’s not difficult. My self install of the two small cabins was under $700, pics are below. Im certain that if I had chosen to do the main cabin as well with Nautikflor it would have been around $2,500.

And the main cabin would have been WAY easier as big open spaces go quickly. Patterning and cuttythe curves and angles in the small cabins was the time consuming part.

I seriously would not pay someone five to eight thousand for this job. It’s basic skills.

Attachments

• AB6F3A38-4285-42B8-8EF9-BEBC4E8DFA15.jpg
    AB6F3A38-4285-42B8-8EF9-BEBC4E8DFA15.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 98B6F6E5-5A66-474D-A241-E1A7F754E139.jpg
    98B6F6E5-5A66-474D-A241-E1A7F754E139.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 48
As I said above, do it yourself, it’s not difficult. My self install of the two small cabins was under $700, pics are below. Im certain that if I had chosen to do the main cabin as well with Nautikflor it would have been around $2,500.

And the main cabin would have been WAY easier as big open spaces go quickly. Patterning and cuttythe curves and angles in the small cabins was the time consuming part.

I seriously would not pay someone five to eight thousand for this job. It’s basic skills.

It's time and skills vs. money. Almost any job could be DIY if you want it to be. It's like someone once said (maybe Steven Wright?). "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time."

It's time and skills vs. money. Almost any job could be DIY if you want it to be. It's like someone once said (maybe Steven Wright?). "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time."

absolutely true.

But some jobs are easier/more enjoyable than others. I always balance how much im willing to pay vs how much im willing to do. A flooring install with the materials I used fell well on the diy side for me.

A good installer could knock our entire boat out in 15 hours. I personally don’t think $450 an hour to install synthetic flooring is anywhere close to reasonable. But everyone haa their own scale and I’m sure a pro would make it look better than me.

Just signed the down payment check to do the flooring. Using Amtico teak and holly. Doing the entire boat. Every piece of interior flooring and all stairs. Treads are being replaced with solid (not veneer) true grown natural teak as is kickboards, hatch trim and other details where the Amtico won’t work. Even replacing where there’s currently not carpet such as the galley. Will use scatter rugs where appropriate in the future. Guy doing it is Bob Benassi who has a good rep from what I can gather. Gave him $5k down payment with commitment job won’t run over $10k. He says it will take 2 weeks. So with our schedule should start early June when we bring the boat back up north. Will post after completion.
Appreciate those who posted on this thread. Thanks all.

Just signed the down payment check to do the flooring. Using Amtico teak and holly. Doing the entire boat. Every piece of interior flooring and all stairs. Treads are being replaced with solid (not veneer) true grown natural teak as is kickboards, hatch trim and other details where the Amtico won’t work. Even replacing where there’s currently not carpet such as the galley. Will use scatter rugs where appropriate in the future. Guy doing it is Bob Benassi who has a good rep from what I can gather. Gave him $5k down payment with commitment job won’t run over $10k. He says it will take 2 weeks. So with our schedule should start early June when we bring the boat back up north. Will post after completion.
Appreciate those who posted on this thread. Thanks all.

Good for you Hippo. Take before and after pics of course but sounds like a good deal to me and a nice upgrade that adds to the value of the boat.

Can you post pictures

I just finished doing a self install in our fwd (master) and side (guest) cabins, about 50 square feet, using Nautikflor. I have a thread posted on it, if you are interested. I spent $650 for materials, including the glue. I would not use their glue again as it comes in a sausage instead of a caulk tube and was kind of messy to work with. I'd go with liquid nails or similar. I trimmed it out with 1.5" teak trim that I had lying around, so that is not included in the $650.00 cost.

Personally, after doing it myself and admittedly being kind of cheap, I would not pay someone to install it. It was time consuming but well within my middle of the road skills and turned out really great.
Doug Cole,
Can you post pictures of completed install? Never mind I see your pictures.

Last edited:
I put the plasteak EZ boat sole in my MS. Easy to cut/install etc. Cost per square ft around $9.00 .

I put the plasteak EZ boat sole in my MS. Easy to cut/install etc. Cost per square ft around $9.00 .

Just be careful, there is a big difference in quality among the different products. I would get samples and try to see some finished installs if possible. I've seen some very low end products that are thin and look cheap, and some top products that are hard to tell from real teak. Personally I went with Permateek and am a big fan of the product, but mine was not a DIY, so I can't speak to that. Good luck regardless!

Half way through doing all floors with Amtico. Truly looks like teak and holly. Surface isn’t slippery and has a good feel in bare feet. The hard parts are junctions to vertical objects and stairs. Think that’s where you can tell the difference between the amateurs and the pros. Original surfaces included prior real wood and rug. There were multiple thresholds between rooms and transitions between wood and rug. So wanted no thresholds (except into the two heads)which required everything be perfectly level. The laying of the floor maybe the easiest part. As with everything boat related the prep is the bear. Pro basically deconstructed the treads of the stairs in order to get the proper aesthetic. Still needed to use some wood there but it matches perfectly and the eye doesn’t catch it’s a mix.
Although I’ve built furniture I’m glad I hired someone else to do this job. I know I didn’t know the little tricks to get a pleasing final result. He still has some of the long runs to do. Seems the labor is in the prep, stairs and edges

Half way through doing all floors with Amtico. Truly looks like teak and holly. Surface isn’t slippery and has a good feel in bare feet. The hard parts are junctions to vertical objects and stairs. Think that’s where you can tell the difference between the amateurs and the pros. Original surfaces included prior real wood and rug. There were multiple thresholds between rooms and transitions between wood and rug. So wanted no thresholds (except into the two heads)which required everything be perfectly level. The laying of the floor maybe the easiest part. As with everything boat related the prep is the bear. Pro basically deconstructed the treads of the stairs in order to get the proper aesthetic. Still needed to use some wood there but it matches perfectly and the eye doesn’t catch it’s a mix.
Although I’ve built furniture I’m glad I hired someone else to do this job. I know I didn’t know the little tricks to get a pleasing final result. He still has some of the long runs to do. Seems the labor is in the prep, stairs and edges

Sounds great Hippo, and I agree with you. For some things, depending on the boat and your budget of course, hiring a pro CAN be money well-spent. Hope you are taking lots of before/after pics.

For those that have done Amitco, where did you source it? We live in Middle Tennessee and to say marine materials are scarce is an understatement. We've tried buying Nautikflor directly and from Defender and it's been a riga-ma-roll - out of stock or huge shipping costs. Maybe Amitco is an easier choice. Would definitely go with the teak/holly strips. Thanks

Turns out there’s a commercial supplier who the installer dealt with not me. There are regional distributors throughout the US. I did attempt to contact them directly but it was cheaper and easier to let the installer deal with them directly. Just google it to get distributors contacts.
Backstory is i looked a bunch of the current choices. Picked Amtico. Then I called the east coast nordic tug dealer Wilde yachts. They use Amtico now. He hooked me up with Bob Benese who does all the aftermarket installations for them. He’ll travel and go throughout the entire east coast. But he lives in the next town from me. So we waited until the boat was back in New England. Meant I loss some of the cruising season up here but our main goal is to miss New England winters and there’s so many good summertime things to do up here I didn’t care much. Also forces me to do home projects (hence the time to post during breaks). Bob has a good repetition from other NT owners and Wilde likes him. So picked him. He’ll be done this Friday. Will post about results.

Recently bought a Nordic Tug 42. In process of refurbishing to Bristol. Wife doesn’t like carpet. Carpet is in good condition but a hard surface is easier to keep clean especially for sand and doesn’t harbor mold spores or other allergens. She prefers the aesthetic of natural teak and holly which we had on the last boat. I’ve convinced her synthetic is preferable on a boat due to absence of maintenance, durability and non porous surface. The factory option is Amtico (teak)as a upgrade on original build. Boat’s in Deltaville VA at present but documented to R.I. and expect to return to R.I. sometime this early summer. Quote was generated by installer who resides in my home town-Plymouth MA.
Got a quote of $8k to replace all flooring including staitrs, kickboards etc. with Amtico (teak). Quote includes all labor and materials. This will need reconstruction of stairs with some natural teak (not veneer) in places. Gentleman from whom I received quote was said to be “the man” for this job by Wilde (major east coast NT dealer) and other NT owners.

?Does $8k sound like a reasonable quote?
The Amtico product looks really good. Is there anyone anywhere on the US east coast to whom I should ask for another quote?
Is there another product I should consider? Another installer?
Thanks

I installed Amtico flooring in my boat several years ago and it has held up beautifully. The flooring is a very good imitation of teak and holly.

I did the work myself and it was pretty tedious. Each three foot piece of teak and each three foot piece of holly is laid individually in mastic.

The product is not inexpensive, I paid about $1500 for enough to do my 28' trawler.

I am happy with my floor and if you have a good person to do it, I would recommend it.

Recently bought a Nordic Tug 42. In process of refurbishing to Bristol. Wife doesn’t like carpet. Carpet is in good condition but a hard surface is easier to keep clean especially for sand and doesn’t harbor mold spores or other allergens. She prefers the aesthetic of natural teak and holly which we had on the last boat. I’ve convinced her synthetic is preferable on a boat due to absence of maintenance, durability and non porous surface. The factory option is Amtico (teak)as a upgrade on original build. Boat’s in Deltaville VA at present but documented to R.I. and expect to return to R.I. sometime this early summer. Quote was generated by installer who resides in my home town-Plymouth MA.
Got a quote of $8k to replace all flooring including staitrs, kickboards etc. with Amtico (teak). Quote includes all labor and materials. This will need reconstruction of stairs with some natural teak (not veneer) in places. Gentleman from whom I received quote was said to be “the man” for this job by Wilde (major east coast NT dealer) and other NT owners.

?Does $8k sound like a reasonable quote?
The Amtico product looks really good. Is there anyone anywhere on the US east coast to whom I should ask for another quote?
Is there another product I should consider? Another installer?
Thanks

That does not sound unreasonable for what you described. You could save some money and DIY if you have the skills and you enjoy that type of work. However, you have a goal of refurbishing this boat and I assume you have a budget to do this, so if you are mainly asking whether this is a fair price, I would say yes. I had Permateek installed and am very happy with it. I suspect it may cost more than $8k for your boat, but not certain. If you want an estimate, here is the guy who installed mine.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.com/

Last edited:
Lonseal Adhesive

Dougcole,
I am getting ready to buy and install Lonseal in the forward birth and had a few questions.
Did you use their 2 part adhesive?

If not what did you use?
And if so what quantity did you buy and how much was left over?
Last question did you mix it all at once?

FWIW- I need to replace a lot of teak on Phelps. Like the flat deck in front of the helm. I found Quick Step Laguna Acacia at Lowes almost a dead match for the interior. Gonna scrape the foam off & glue it down

Back
Top Bottom