Correct use of Restricted Maneuverability status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twisted tree makes a good point but don't forget, the Nuc and Ram Do not have any preference over the vessel being overtaken

I know a lot less than most people, and much less than most people here, about Colregs...but...

SoF....but any evasive action, by definition can't come from a vessel not under command....so the evasive action has to be undertaken by the other guy....or there will be a collision.

Last edited:
As an aside to the conversation, our local USCG inspectors for a while required our dive boat to have RAM lights for for night diving. We tried to explain that we are always at a mooring when night diving, thus we would have our "anchor" light lit. We could not win the argument that being at anchor was higher on the chain than being RAM. So we spent the money to have a removable light assembly made that we never used. The following year a different inspector rotated in and we were never asked about the lights. Money wasted.

As an aside to the conversation, our local USCG inspectors for a while required our dive boat to have RAM lights for for night diving. We tried to explain that we are always at a mooring when night diving, thus we would have our "anchor" light lit. We could not win the argument that being at anchor was higher on the chain than being RAM. So we spent the money to have a removable light assembly made that we never used. The following year a different inspector rotated in and we were never asked about the lights. Money wasted.

Not to split hairs infinitely, and agreeing that it seems redundant, but your previous inspector appears to have known the rules:

Rule 27, Vessels Not Under Command or Restricted in Their Ability to Maneuver, Section(b): "A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, except a vessel engaged in mine clearance operations, shall exhibit (subsection iv) when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (b)(i) and (ii), the light, lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 30." (Rule 30 being, of course, Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground).

I think the rule reads this way so that a vessel such as your dive boat may declare to another approaching vessel something to the effect of, "Yeah, I'm anchored, but even if you've got a problem with that and think I shouldn't be anchored here and that I ought to weigh and move, I don't have to and you shouldn't ask, because I am RAM owing to the nature of my employment."

Maybe diving operations have to take place at night in a navigable channel where an approaching skipper thinks, "who does that $#%&@ think he is, anchoring in the channel?" With RAM lights, question answered, and no one has to pick up the radio.

Rule 3...definition of RAM....."shall include but not be limited to..... (ii) a vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations. ..... (v) a vessel engaged in mineclearance operations.

Anchored I don't believe is ever mentioned in the steering and sailing rules section....just in lights, shapes and sound signals.

Maybe there is a reason for that...especially if you read rule 2, and 2 also sheds light on why a boat at anchor still should show RAM if you have divers down and why a NUC by sheer definition is really higher than a boat anchored or RAM, but still should try to avoid collision.

That's such a good point, if I'm under way and a vessel does something that is not standard, for example not changing course to pass on the correct side when it is clearly the proper action, then as far as I'm concerned the other boat is being operated by somebody either ignorant or simply rude and they have now become a huge hazard whose every future action is now suspect and puts me and my vessel at risk.

To the 50' US registered sport fish that scraped around Sarah Point on the plane and swamped the fishermen, waked me and kept going, I reported you to the US Coast Guard and I sincerely hope you were boarded before you did any more damage. Maybe you are already in jail for being impaired? A perfect example of why I would vote for capital punishment again in Canada.

If someone isnt doing the right thing and the danger of collision exists even after maneuvering signals are exhanged, the first action under the rules is a danger/doubt whistle signal or radio communication...if collision is avoidable through numerous possibilities, rule 2 says do what any normal seaman would do.

Obviously if very close and in or nearly in extremis, then physical action is warranted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom