Coping in challenging times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So like most of us active here, we have become aware that where we wanted to cruise is not going to happen, I speak in terms of borders. But for most of us, especially for us in the Pacific Northwest, BC and Alaska, we are fortunate to have incredible cruising grounds.

The other not so good reality is that many businesses, eating establishments, small mom and pop marinas are going to be closing for good. The reality is that there is the distinct possibility many families and folks may not have the financial support to cruise this summer, or possibly ever again as they try to recover from the financial hit of experiencing restrictions on transportation and product support networks.

By cruising in local waters, you may very well be assisting small marine related businesses in their survival. The marine industry is going to take a major hit this summer. I don't think many of us expect this virus event leaving in the next long while.

I was reading something in Pacific Yachting last night and I was struck by how large Puget Sound is. In my brain Puget Sound ends at Seattle, but of course it doesn't that's Olympia's job. I keep forgetting the bit that goes to Belfair. So if you were heading North this season, I do get your disappointment, but there are a lot worse places than Puget Sound. Heck be daring and boat to Neah Bay and La Push. I know Port Angeles has been hit by Canadians not travelling there for political reasons I can't mention. I'm sure the Port Angelians would love to have visits from the cruising Washingtonian public.

And we in BC can't go North or South but I won't go into how good we have it, but we do. And the Alaskan can't come down here (BC) or into Washington, but there are far worse places to cruise in the world than Alaska, another incredible is always around the corner there. I'm not going to talk about the lower West Coast or the East Coast as I am not really familiar with those areas. But I can guess there are some excellent spots to boat and businesses that provide marine services that would love to have your financial support.

Let's get out there and support our marine partners and have a heck of a season.

Greetings,
Mr. 48. Good positive thinking!

200.webp

Thanks.

Agreed per another post I made.

We did a week in south Sound a few years ago and had a delightful time. Sucks to be us if we’re forced to cruise 30-40 days just in the US Puget Sound area.

I just now thought that maybe it’s time to stretch our wings and take a long trip out the Straits then turn south instead of north and do the Columbia. We’re retired so we can take our time and wait for weather windows.

These are first world problems most folks couldn’t imagine having to ponder. Let’s go out and enjoy (and shop) local!

Gom

Wholeheartedly agree.

We are Gulf of Mexico, Florida west coast cruisers, and we think The Gulf has the most beautiful cruising grounds in the world, from the staggeringly blue waters of the Keys to the murky greens and browns of Mobile and N'awlins.

Plus, the tidal range in The Gulf is only 4 feet, and that's only during full moons and east winds. And the water is warm, well, except for Jan and Feb when it can drop into the 60's (Farenheit).

The places to see (and spend money) can occupy us for years... after we get through the next 9 months.

Cheers and stay safe,
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• 20191109_174004 (2).jpg
    20191109_174004 (2).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I just now thought that maybe it’s time to stretch our wings and take a long trip out the Straits then turn south instead of north and do the Columbia.

That seems like a good option especially with the price of fuel most likely at a low point. You may save some boat bucks doing the trip this year vs. down the road. We're blessed to have the options we do in the Northwest.

Agreed per another post I made.

We did a week in south Sound a few years ago and had a delightful time. Sucks to be us if we’re forced to cruise 30-40 days just in the US Puget Sound area.

I just now thought that maybe it’s time to stretch our wings and take a long trip out the Straits then turn south instead of north and do the Columbia. We’re retired so we can take our time and wait for weather windows.

These are first world problems most folks couldn’t imagine having to ponder. Let’s go out and enjoy (and shop) local!

Gordon, a few years ago I helped a guy take a 5788 Bayliner from Seattle to Stockton so I may be able to provide some insight to that stretch from Seattle to the Columbia.

ASD lives in the lower Columbia area so could give you some tips on that stretch and we live right where the Snake and Columbia meet. I've done the trip to Portland several times so could answer any questions about that, and I've gone up the Snake to Lewiston so may have some useful tidbits there also.

Hmmmm, if a state closes it borders, no commercial traffic can enter to off load its cargo? Yea, right. Good luck on that one.

Per recreational boating.... stay off-shore a couple of miles. That should solve that problem provided you fueled up at your docking area and took on lots of stores. With proper planning and a slow speed even I can go over 1000 miles without refueling. (400 gallons of fuel) Run low on fuel, find a fuel dock and declare "safe harbor", put someone in the ER with a wrench, take on fuel and 'get out of town.'
Dont let the state govts. mess with your cruising.
If they catch you and want to quarantine you, anchor and self-imposed quarantine or keep moving. I doubt if any state government will chase you if you are 2-3 miles off-shore. Singing, "I could be wrong now but, I don't think so."

Even the states that are in "lockdown"....NY and IL....according to RV sites are allowing people to drive through.

I doubt police are stopping boats motoring along the ICW in cruising style boats, and if they do, will not detain you but ask that you press on to non-state of emergency areas.

Back
Top Bottom